SRAM supports 11spd E-Tap again

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

check6

by check6

Checking back in. Well, it's unfortunate my initial report WAS accurate. I am caring for my current 11spd Etap like it is a collectors item....Wait...uh....it...

splzd

by splzd

check6 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:03 pm
Checking back in. Well, it's unfortunate my initial report WAS accurate. I am caring for my current 11spd Etap like it is a collectors item....Wait...uh....it...
SRAM Red eTap 11s right Shift-/Brake-Unit?
https://www.bike-components.de/de/SRAM/ ... ng-p83542/

EDIT: englisch version of the shop-site:
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SRAM/ ... ng-p83542/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

check6

by check6

splzd wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:36 pm
check6 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:03 pm
SRAM Red eTap 11s right Shift-/Brake-Unit?
https://www.bike-components.de/de/SRAM/ ... ng-p83542/

EDIT: englisch version of the shop-site:
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SRAM/ ... ng-p83542/
They won't ship to USA, but thanks for the effort.

Gary71

by Gary71

I have the 11spd eTap levers and rear derailleur still in their boxes....., it's the front derailleur that is the unicorn.
I'm guessing SRAM (when they were producing them) did greater volume quantities to cover replacement parts / purchases from falls or accidents for the levers and RD's. There would be less likely any need to replace the front derailleurs in those scenarios :noidea:
It still doesn't change the previous observations / statements from those above about SRAM's unwillingness to support and/or supply previous model groupsets (unlike Shimano or Campagnolo).
I have 7 bikes in my garage, with maybe 10 sets of wheels..... I know I am in therapy :oops:
Moving to a 12 speed platform is an expensive prospect if I want to continue to be able to interchange wheels and set ups at a whim.
As a result SRAM has lost me as a future customer even though I am running 3 bikes with their system and have 5 groupsets (less one F/derailleur) in my inventory.

nickf

by nickf

Someone posted a new FD for the dumb price of $630! What a bargan.

vneilv

by vneilv

I'm currently trying to track down some hydro shifters to replace my rim brake etap shifters for a frame upgrade. What a headache eh.

Seems like there's a lot of stock of them in Germany but you are going to have to spend €1k ish to get some.

So here's a question, what is the very remote chance that I could buy the regular mechanical hydro shifters and replace the guts with my etap shifters? Very unlikely I know but has anyone ever had a look at this?

Maddie

by Maddie

I didn't try it but still, I think it's not unlikely, it's impossible. They are a complete different design. I also think that you can't disassemble the shifters.

splzd

by splzd

splzd wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:40 pm
Let's wait and see how you will be able to pair the ne DA 12s Di2 Levers to your old 11s groupset or the other way around, and how long the 9150 series will be available.
Thoughts? :twisted:

Maddie

by Maddie

splzd wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:38 am
splzd wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:40 pm
Let's wait and see how you will be able to pair the ne DA 12s Di2 Levers to your old 11s groupset or the other way around, and how long the 9150 series will be available.
Thoughts? :twisted:
We don't know yet for sure if 11s shifters are compatible or not with 12s derailleurs. Officially, they are not. No surprise there. If Shimano now released a statement that said 11s shifters are compatible with 12s derailleurs, they would risk possible sales of complete groupsets. Especially at the start of sales where demand is very high.

But and this is a big but, all road Di2 rear derailleurs except the very first DA generation are compatible with road Di2 shifters. There is tons of alternatives around in case you need another rear deraileur. And if you insist on a RD-R9150 you wait until 1) it's available again in your area or 2) buy used. Where I live, RD-9150 are available today.

With Sram etap 11s you only have option 2). If you are not able to source a shifter, FD or RD, either new or used, you have to change the whole groupset. That's a massive difference in my eyes.

kervelo

by kervelo

According to cyclingtips the new Shimano 12sp derailleurs are compatible with 11sp shifters, but for TT bikes only:

What makes the situation even more frustrating is that Shimano has tacitly admitted such backward compatibility is more than possible; it’s already done it, in fact. Given the limited market, Shimano didn’t bother to make all-new 12-speed components for time trial and triathlon bikes. Instead, Shimano developed the AD-305 adapter box that connects the old controls with the new derailleurs and battery. One end accepts the existing EW-SD50 wire, the new EW-SD300 goes into the other, and the rest is handled via firmware updates.

See the chapter about backward compatibility:
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/new-shi ... g-to-know/

eurostar

by eurostar

nickf wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:16 am
Someone posted a new FD for the dumb price of $630! What a bargan.
2 days ago I narrowly missed getting nearly new derailleurs and blip box and blips for £860/$1185. Still kicking myself.

eurostar

by eurostar

gcartelli

by gcartelli

Does anyone have the weight of the A2 11speed RD?

cveks

by cveks

Shimano is doing SAME THING FOR YEARS.

We will all switch to Sensah mechanical groupsets. They are cheap, work great and you can buy spare parts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

splzd

by splzd

My Force AXS shifters got a firmware update today. Changelog reads interisting:

"Battery life improvements – LED illuminates for a shorter period of time when derailleur powers up with a low battery. eTap 11-speed derailleur compatibility added – RED and Force eTap AXS 12-speed shift-brake levers and eTap AXS BlipBox can now be paired with legacy eTap 11-speed front and rear derailleurs."