SRAM supports 11spd E-Tap again

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

check6

by check6

My right shifter went after 4 years of moderate use. Not upset about that as it is a perishable part. What does absolutely twist me is that my tech says that SRAM will no longer support 11spd E-Tap with replacement parts. They are reserving what they have left for the remains bikes still having warranty. Is it just me or is this really crappy business? Looking for NOS, but even that is almost impossible to find. I guess I will have to count it as a hidden cost of electronic over mech.

Any suggestions on where to best find parts beyond Ebay?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I sold my 2 etap11 groupsets for big $$$$ on ebay. Not sure it was a good idea to get Red AXS, but didn't want wires so no choice.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

sigma

by sigma

check6 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 am
My right shifter went after 4 years of moderate use. Not upset about that as it is a perishable part. What does absolutely twist me is that my tech says that SRAM will no longer support 11spd E-Tap with replacement parts. They are reserving what they have left for the remains bikes still having warranty. Is it just me or is this really crappy business? Looking for NOS, but even that is almost impossible to find. I guess I will have to count it as a hidden cost of electronic over mech.

It's a bit strange to me as they updated the WiFli Rear Der for 11 speed etap last year but now don't support it? I sent in an etap rear der last summer for warranty and they replaced it no questions asked, so this must be a recent phenom.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

jlok

by jlok

check6 wrote:

Warranty is less than 4 years I guess? Why does it count as no support?

If I buy eTap 11-speed RD from authorized dealers today and sh1t happens next month, I think SRAM would still provide warranty replacement when necessary?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

sigma

by sigma

jlok wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:46 am
check6 wrote:

If I buy eTap 11-speed RD from authorized dealers today and sh1t happens next month, I think SRAM would still provide warranty replacement when necessary?
I think the OP has been told that SRAM will not produce the replacement parts anymore. I don't think he was looking for a warranty replacement but just the shifter to avoid having to change the entire group.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

jlok

by jlok

ic.
Is OP finding this part? And is SRAM shutting supply to LBS?
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/sram/ ... road-bike/

edit: snap! there's no eTap shifter to be found in major shops...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Not good SRAM is abandoning 11s Etap just 2 years after production stopped.

Does not give me any confidence in SRAM's support for electronic groupset products (I see lots of parts for mechanical Red 11s still available).

Makes me want to go back to mechanical, which would be a shame.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

check6

by check6

oldnslow2 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:34 am
$209 Red eTap 11 speed right mechanical brakes
https://planetcyclery.com/sram-red-doub ... ycEALw_wcB
Thanks, but need the HRD. Got discs.

check6

by check6

sigma wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:42 am
jlok wrote:
check6 wrote:

I think the OP has been told that SRAM will not produce the replacement parts anymore. I don't think he was looking for a warranty replacement but just the shifter to avoid having to change the entire group.
Precisely! I would even buy the left as well as calipers if I could. Almost none to be found! If your Etap is still under warranty (2 years I think), they will provide replacement parts. Otherwise you need to trash your whole drivetrain and purchase AXS/Force.

sigma

by sigma

check6 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:27 am
sigma wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:42 am
jlok wrote:
check6 wrote:

Precisely! I would even buy the left as well as calipers if I could. Almost none to be found! If your Etap is still under warranty (2 years I think), they will provide replacement parts. Otherwise you need to trash your whole drivetrain and purchase AXS/Force.
I have decided to go even more extreme when my parts start to fail. I'll be going Di2....

jlok

by jlok

When SRAM release 13-speed Red the same would repeat on AXS....

Nickldn

by Nickldn

check6 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:27 am
Let me correct that:

Otherwise you need to trash your whole drivetrain and purchase anything but another SRAM gruppo.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

GS100

by GS100

I feel for you OP. Looking at the threads here they do seem to be worse than the other two main players for speed of product obselescence as well as other technical problems.They've captured a large share of the market by having a great USP (wireless), but if they don't care for their customer base they will soon lose them

DaveS

by DaveS

jlok wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:03 am
When SRAM release 13-speed Red the same would repeat on AXS....
The communication system used on 11 speed was found to have interference problems that axs cures, so the two systems are not compatible.

If more speeds are added, it wouldn't necessarily make communication impossible, but with computer programming involved, other issues might come up.

I wouldn't expect to reuse old parts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com