SRAM supports 11spd E-Tap again

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

Juanmoretime wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:42 am
That was my question too. Can AXS 12 speed shifters be pair ith a AXS 12 speed front derailleur and a 11 spped Etap rear derailleur. All Red of course.
No, the AXS FD will not pair with an 11 speed RD. I have actually tried this with Red eTap A2 RD and AXS Rival FD. As it stands, only Force and Red AXS shifters will pair with an 11 speed RD once they've had the latest firmware update. It's going to take SRAM to release an Red eTap A2 FD or provide a firmware update to the AXS FD to replace an 11 speed FD with new equipment. Since AXS FD is optimised for 12 speed AXS chains and chainrings, SRAM may be hesitant to provide a firmware only solution if it compromises 11 speed shifting quality. However, from my experience, shifting with the Rival AXS FD and flattop chain on 11 speed 52-36 chainrings is flawless and far easier to setup correctly than the 11 speed FD, so I think it would work fine if it were possible.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

bobones wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:03 pm
Juanmoretime wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:42 am
That was my question too. Can AXS 12 speed shifters be pair ith a AXS 12 speed front derailleur and a 11 spped Etap rear derailleur. All Red of course.
No, the AXS FD will not pair with an 11 speed RD. I have actually tried this with Red eTap A2 RD and AXS Rival FD. As it stands, only Force and Red AXS shifters will pair with an 11 speed RD once they've had the latest firmware update. It's going to take SRAM to release an Red eTap A2 FD or provide a firmware update to the AXS FD to replace an 11 speed FD with new equipment. Since AXS FD is optimised for 12 speed AXS chains and chainrings, SRAM may be hesitant to provide a firmware only solution if it compromises 11 speed shifting quality. However, from my experience, shifting with the Rival AXS FD and flattop chain on 11 speed 52-36 chainrings is flawless and far easier to setup correctly than the 11 speed FD, so I think it would work fine if it were possible.
It's funny you should say that about FD shifting. I thought the normal AXS FDs were optimised for 46t - 50t chainrings and SRAM had to release a different version for bigger 52t and 53t chainrings due to maximum height issues with the standard AXS FD.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

A friend of mine wasn't able to install 11s 52/36 chainrings on his standard AXS Red FD exactly for the reason Nickldn mentioned.

bobones

by bobones

I have only tried the Rival AXS FD and, as I said, it is flawless with 52-36 rings on my bike. It could go a little higher on the mount too. I also have Red and Force AXS FDs but haven't tried to fit them to this formerly 11 speed bike. The Rival FD may have been designed with larger rings in mind: it's cage looks a bit shorter and the tail of the cage is quite a bit different from Red and Force. It was also really easy to set up and I haven't had a hint of overshifts or dropped chains at all.

niklasp

by niklasp

My wishes would have been that you could make the 12speed "11" in the settings. I've got plenty of 11speed cassettes and bikes left, and actually I would like 11 on my CX bike.

Maddie

by Maddie

Not even Shimano enabled that in the past. You could never use a 11s derailleur with a 10s cassette. And you couldn't mixmatch 10s/11s front and rear derailleurs either.

But I'm sure that you'll be able to use 11s etap front derailleurs with axs shifters in the future.

bobones

by bobones

Maddie wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:48 pm
But I'm sure that you'll be able to use 11s etap front derailleurs with axs shifters in the future.
You can do that now. The recent firmware update to the AXS shifters allows them to pair with and control legacy 11 speed derailleurs. The remaining problem is there is no new available replacement for a failed 11 speed FD. If your 11 speed shifters fail, you can buy Red or Force AXS shifters and pair them to your 11 speed derailleurs. If your RD fails, you can buy an Red eTap A2 RD.

Maddie

by Maddie

I wasn't aware of that but it makes total sense

nickf

by nickf

It was mentioned awhile ago there will be a front a2 derailleur. So time will tell. They could be stuck in port somewhere. Kinda like this firmware update out of nowhere. My red 22 mechanical mini group just arrived I ordered directly through SRAM employee purchase. Parts are trickling in. They are still producing old 22 mechanical parts, more showing up in inventory beginning of 22. So crossing fingers for the missing 11 speed etap FD.

Lillee

by Lillee

Thanks for replies, this is interesting... I suppose into the future as last resort we just go 12spd rim brake AXS...

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

One thing I have noticed now having spent some time on Red Etap 11 speed. I wonder how long it took the SRAM engineers to have the Red Etap tap shifetr/ brakes have the Red rattle too? If I take my hands or hand off the shifter such as to grab some food or a water bottle the shifters do rattle. FWIW I habe the Red Etap 11 speed hyrdo shifteres.

hoopes

by hoopes

Anybody tried to make the AXS FD work with 11s ETAP ?

This is the only video I found on YT but it's not what I need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBQFZ8f4Hgo&t=84s

zero71

by zero71

My front eTap 11 derailleur has issues. It's very low mileage, but the high limit screw seized and rounded. I tried everything to get it out, including the M3 tap trick, but it was welded in there. In the end I drilled it out and tapped it with a right hand M5 thread. Awaiting an M5 grub screw to see if that gets it back into action. It'd make me feel much better if the AXS front mech was updated to work with 11 or the FD A2 derailleur would show up.

TourmaletteduFromage

by TourmaletteduFromage

So has anyone here already paired the AXS Shifters to Etap 22 Derailleurs?

bobones

by bobones

TourmaletteduFromage wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am
So has anyone here already paired the AXS Shifters to Etap 22 Derailleurs?
Yes, I paired Red AXS rim brake shifters to Red eTap 11 speed FD and A2 RD as a test. Worked perfectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com