SRAM supports 11spd E-Tap again

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eurostar

by eurostar

If there's a big pool of dissatisfied SRAM customers, maybe a Chinese vendor will see that as an opportunity and offer some sort of migration path? Perhaps SRAM started this process when they closed their factory in Guangzhou. Their former employees have moved to three local vendors, LTWOO, Sensah and S-Ride. https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/lt ... leurs.html.

The first home grown Chinese wireless group was shown recently by yet another vendor, Wheel Top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC3dgiqR6zc

It would take a long time for compatible products to appear, and it may never happen. But SRAM must already be looking over their shoulder. Hopefully they will be more careful about pissing away the loyalty of their 11 speed customers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

SRAM are already supporting 11 speed users by offering the A2 Red eTap RD and now the firmware update to AXS shifters to allow them to control legacy derailleurs. The only problem area is the FD, but I expect the incidence of failures with the FD is far less than RD or shifters as its position on the bike protects it from most crashes and the electronics seems reliable. As it stands you would need to source a replacement FD on eBay or similar, which doesn't seem to be that hard atm. If SRAM produce an A2 FD or provide a firmware update so that an AXS FD will pair with a legacy RD, then there really isn't anything to complain about at all.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

^
agree bobones, if that happens it's great :thumbup:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bobones wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:20 pm
SRAM are already supporting 11 speed users by offering the A2 Red eTap RD and now the firmware update to AXS shifters to allow them to control legacy derailleurs. The only problem area is the FD, but I expect the incidence of failures with the FD is far less than RD or shifters as its position on the bike protects it from most crashes and the electronics seems reliable. As it stands you would need to source a replacement FD on eBay or similar, which doesn't seem to be that hard atm. If SRAM produce an A2 FD or provide a firmware update so that an AXS FD will pair with a legacy RD, then there really isn't anything to complain about at all.
most of the complaining was prior to this firmware update, so it's valid.

The FD issue is still a big one and the main reason why I off'd my etap11 groupset(s) and got AXS. Yes I have had failures on my FD, luckliy no RD or shifter failures.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

My work around with 11 speed is basically I'm in my 53 all the time where I live, the longest climb might be 100' of elevation change, and could do a 1 by 11 but occasionally I travel to places I need to shift to the 39, think I've done that twice this year. Plus I do have a brand new front derailleur hanging around and may grab another when I come across one and the price is right. I also have many back up 11 speed SRAM cassettes. As is I use maybe 9 of the 11 cogs 90% of the time. I do have 12 speed on my fat bike and the only bike that I have where it does matter.

Long live 11 speed!

cveks

by cveks

Heheh I must show this to my friend , who tried to convince me to switch to SRAM Etap....

I like SRAM A lot , but not Etap. Have 3 SRAM groupsets on bikes, Apex, Force, Apex. Still can find spare parts and still works great.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

cveks wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:36 pm
Heheh I must show this to my friend , who tried to convince me to switch to SRAM Etap....

I like SRAM A lot , but not Etap. Have 3 SRAM groupsets on bikes, Apex, Force, Apex. Still can find spare parts and still works great.
The only downside is availability. Otherwise i had lots of battery issues with Di2. None with Etap.
I think it's great as long as you don't have issues with adjusting the FD. It requires a bit more to work, some experienced issues adjusting at a bike stand or trainer, or rather, it didn't work problem free once riding outside (for real).
A bit like me and bike fit done on trainer VS riding outside :lol:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Lillee

by Lillee

CRAZY THOUGHT: So if the new AXS shifters work with 11speed A2 rears, then couldn't it also work with a 12speed front derailleur and have it work on an 11speed system?? Has anyone tried this or know if a 12speed front derailleur works with 11speed cranksets???

CoffeeNdonuts

by CoffeeNdonuts

Lillee wrote:CRAZY THOUGHT: So if the new AXS shifters work with 11speed A2 rears, then couldn't it also work with a 12speed front derailleur and have it work on an 11speed system?? Has anyone tried this or know if a 12speed front derailleur works with 11speed cranksets???
You cannot use a 11-speed rear derailleur with a 12-speed front derailleur.
The rear derailleur is the Master and you need to connect the front derailleur and shifters to it. A 12-speed FD will not connect to a 11-speed RD.
You might be able to connect only the 12-speed FD to the shifters, but when you connect the 11-speed RD to the shifters you will loose the FD connection.

Also, SRAM has no plans to make the 12-speed FD compatible with any version of the 11-speed rear derailleur.
This is their reasoning:
“No, there are no plans to make eTap AXS 12-speed front and rear derailleurs compatible with 11-speed. SRAM eTap AXS derailleurs are mechanically designed for 12-speed gearing and are not compatible with 11-speed chains, cassettes, and cranksets”

However, yes, to answer your question on using a 12-speed FD with a 11-speed crankset. This has been widely discussed. It is possible.
I’m currently using 2 different Force AXS 12-speed FD’s. One with a Shimano DA 11-speed crankset and another one with a 11-speed Red Quarq with Red chainrings. No issues whatsoever. For me it has shifted perfectly fine.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pairing is always initiated by holding down the RD button. You cannot pair a FD to shifters alone.

CoffeeNdonuts

by CoffeeNdonuts

TobinHatesYou wrote:Pairing is always initiated by holding down the RD button. You cannot pair a FD to shifters alone.
Oh yes you can. I have done it many times.
You can hold down the FD until it blinks and then pair the shifters. It 100% works.

You will only have the FD paired with the shifters thought, but absolutely you can.
Once you pair the RD to the shifters then you lose the FD and you will have to pair the FD to the RD.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

CoffeeNdonuts wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:31 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:Pairing is always initiated by holding down the RD button. You cannot pair a FD to shifters alone.
You can hold down the FD until it blinks and then pair the shifters. It 100% works.

You will only have the FD paired with the shifters thought, but absolutely you can.
Once you pair the RD to the shifters then you lose the FD and you will have to pair the FD to the RD.
Can you do that if you have no RD, or the battery in your RD is removed?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

CoffeeNdonuts

by CoffeeNdonuts

Nickldn wrote:
CoffeeNdonuts wrote:

Can you do that if you have no RD, or the battery in your RD is removed?
Yes you can do that even if you have the battery on your RD.
What you’re essentially doing is resetting the connection.
By connecting and pairing your FD to your shifters (by using only the FD) you will only have the FD connected and will lose any RD.
Once you pair or re-pair your RD you will lose that FD. The only way to have a rear and a front is by connecting everything via the master rear derailleur.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CoffeeNdonuts wrote:

Whoa neat, happy to be wrong then. That’s at least good for troubleshooting and perhaps putting some kind of frankenstein build together. I wouldn’t be surprised if SRAM pushes a new firmware at a later date to allow the AXS FD to pair with the 11spd RDs either.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

That was my question too. Can AXS 12 speed shifters be pair ith a AXS 12 speed front derailleur and a 11 spped Etap rear derailleur. All Red of course.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com