TCR vs Aethos

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

I am trying to decide which frame set to buy for my first “real” road bike. Will be using the bike for sprinted group rides (20+ mph), no racing. Was considering either the S-Works Aethos (do not like the colors or the pro spec) or a Giant TCR (haven’t decided on SL or not). My main priorities are ride quality and fun. Would like a light bike as well but it doesn’t have to be the lowest possible weight.

I’ve tried out the Aethos Pro and really like the fit and handling of the bike. There are no TCRs near me to try, but reviews from cyclingtips and velonews, describe them as being similar (e.g reasonably comfortable with lively handling). The $$$ I would save on the TCR frame set would allow me to spec better complements for the build. TCR is also more aero even though it’s heavier.

Which one would you choose and why? Is there going to be a detectable difference in ride quality between these frames?

Thanks everyone!

GS100

by GS100

You should get whichever fits you best. That being said, TCR is likely to be stiffer, if that matters to you e.g. if you are heavier than average, powerful, or simply like to stomp on the pedals uphill a lot.

Also for the price I assume you could get the top level TCR frame (Adv SL), which will be a little lighter and perhaps stiffer,g though not as convenient with an isp.

Disclaimer: TCR owner but never ridden an Aethos

by Weenie

dbzznlqbqft

by dbzznlqbqft

TCR ADV SL Rimbrake - if wanting to go sub 6

TCR ADV SL Disc - if wanting to go sub 7 while having the boring breaking experience with mechanical issues you will hardly figure out.

Aethos is lack of stiffness compared to TCR. You can still have a noticeable stiffness to weight if your frame is light enough even with inadequate stiffness. It's the same method as ultimate cf evo.

If you really care about stiffness to weight. Why not build a sub 5/6 tcr and then yours will be ultimate.
202X GIANT TCR Advanced SL, rim brake matters
2020 GIANT Revolt Advanced, 7.0kg GT bike
2019 Fuji SL, backup bike
2017 GIANT TCR SLR, retired

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

dbzznlqbqft wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:23 pm

If you really care about stiffness to weight. Why not build a sub 5/6 tcr and then yours will be ultimate.
I actually care more about ride quality, not all out stiffness. Was wondering if there would be an difference between the frames in this respect.

dbzznlqbqft

by dbzznlqbqft

RideRunSwim wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:29 pm
dbzznlqbqft wrote:

I actually care more about ride quality, not all out stiffness. Was wondering if there would be an difference between the frames in this respect.
I would say both will be great as GIANT and specialized are big brands. It will be hard to tell. Both are ultimate choices for starter bike.

I will give TCR Advanced SL a vote concerning the price. It also offers rim brake which is superb. It will be a pity if you never try rim brake especially it's vanishing.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

dbzznlqbqft wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:33 pm
RideRunSwim wrote:
dbzznlqbqft wrote:

I would say both will be great as GIANT and specialized are big brands. It will be hard to tell. Both are ultimate choices for starter bike.

I will give TCR Advanced SL a vote concerning the price. It also offers rim brake which is superb. It will be a pity if you never try rim brake especially it's vanishing.
I would consider rim brakes but the main issue is that wheels manufacturers aren't really supporting them anymore. Was planning to use Zipp tubeless wheels and they only come in disc.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

GS100 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:19 pm
You should get whichever fits you best. That being said, TCR is likely to be stiffer, if that matters to you e.g. if you are heavier than average, powerful, or simply like to stomp on the pedals uphill a lot.

Also for the price I assume you could get the top level TCR frame (Adv SL), which will be a little lighter and perhaps stiffer,g though not as convenient with an isp.

Disclaimer: TCR owner but never ridden an Aethos
Thanks, the ISP is an issue. Would definitely go SL if not for that.

dbzznlqbqft

by dbzznlqbqft

RideRunSwim wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:40 pm
dbzznlqbqft wrote:
RideRunSwim wrote:
dbzznlqbqft wrote:

I would consider rim brakes but the main issue is that wheels manufacturers aren't really supporting them anymore. Was planning to use Zipp tubeless wheels and they only come in disc.
ZIPP is too heavy, think twice. GIANT, farsports, Shimano and maybe campanolo still offers rim break. I'm sure there are more.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

If you are size medium and up, Giant will handle fine.
For Xs and S range, Specialized use dedicated fork with more offset to make them handle as good as larger sizes. But Giant keep the same fork from larger sizes while changing head tube angle.

TLDR: Avoid Giant in size XXS, XS and S. They don't handle the same as larger sizes.

Skeeleye

by Skeeleye

RideRunSwim wrote:
dbzznlqbqft wrote:
RideRunSwim wrote:
dbzznlqbqft wrote:

Just to say, you will not miss out on anything if you never ride a rim brake bike.

I had a Giant TCR that was rim and wanted to upgrade to disc and went with a Venge. I loved the handling of the TCR, it felt snappy and nimble and was fun to throw around. I haven't ridden the Aethos, and am debating buying a second bike with the same options as you and am leaning towards the TCR because I miss riding it.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:28 pm
If you are size medium and up, Giant will handle fine.
For Xs and S range, Specialized use dedicated fork with more offset to make them handle as good as larger sizes. But Giant keep the same fork from larger sizes while changing head tube angle.

TLDR: Avoid Giant in size XXS, XS and S. They don't handle the same as larger sizes.
Thanks, I am usually a 56 (ML) so I should be fine

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

Skeeleye wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:41 pm
RideRunSwim wrote:
dbzznlqbqft wrote:
RideRunSwim wrote:

Just to say, you will not miss out on anything if you never ride a rim brake bike.

I had a Giant TCR that was rim and wanted to upgrade to disc and went with a Venge. I loved the handling of the TCR, it felt snappy and nimble and was fun to throw around. I haven't ridden the Aethos, and am debating buying a second bike with the same options as you and am leaning towards the TCR because I miss riding it.
The Aethos is definitely a fun bike, dat price though! I am also leaning towards the tcr even though I haven't tried it yet just due to the price difference.

Discodan

by Discodan

I'd suggest the TCR, a very good bike and much better value. If you're not looking to make a super WW bike it seems to make more sense than the Aethos, put the extra cash into some nice wheels, and I doubt you could notice any difference. Disc of course

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

Discodan wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:08 pm
I'd suggest the TCR, a very good bike and much better value. If you're not looking to make a super WW bike it seems to make more sense than the Aethos, put the extra cash into some nice wheels, and I doubt you could notice any difference. Disc of course
Thanks,any suggestions for wheels?

kode54

by kode54

Factor Bikes has a sale on now. Maybe consider that if ride quality is a priority.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs
- Repurposed Guru Praemio R w 3D disc dropouts + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs

by Weenie