38cm bars... going too far?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SpeedyBoi123

by SpeedyBoi123

shimmeD wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:08 pm
Details of those 32 bars please Speedy
Fouriers 320mm compact bars: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301567 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Cheap enough that I own 4 pairs which worked out at £122 in total! They're made of heavy 6061 so sit fairly porky at 270g for a 32cm handlebar and I've been looking for some made in 7075 for a year now!!

Recently moved my crit bike to 27cm (c-c) on the hoods flared to 33cm (c-c) on the drops and can't wait for the weather to improve to try them out.
maxim809 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:01 am
And details on shoulder width, too. :)
Shoulder width is 38cm but I cycle with a 'shrug' (as you can see in the photo) all the time where my collarbones almost face forward and I've got use to riding like that the past 1-2 years now.
Aero McAeroface

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Thanks Speedy.
From the images, doesn't like there's any flare, is that correct?
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

27 to 32 cm :shock:
Can you share some details/ picture?
I would like to give that a try!

jlok

by jlok

Yes narrow bars make steering more sensitive and may amplify rider's input affecting the front end of the bike, in theory. However, in reality it didn't become sensitive enough to make my ride unstable. I still riding down hill very fast and stable. It's more about the overall bike geometry rather than just considering the bar width I guess. You may grab the cheapest 36cm bar to test.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

callemacody

by callemacody

SpeedyBoi123 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:59 pm
shimmeD wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:08 pm
Details of those 32 bars please Speedy
Fouriers 320mm compact bars: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301567 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Cheap enough that I own 4 pairs which worked out at £122 in total! They're made of heavy 6061 so sit fairly porky at 270g for a 32cm handlebar and I've been looking for some made in 7075 for a year now!!

Recently moved my crit bike to 27cm (c-c) on the hoods flared to 33cm (c-c) on the drops and can't wait for the weather to improve to try them out.
maxim809 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:01 am
And details on shoulder width, too. :)
Shoulder width is 38cm but I cycle with a 'shrug' (as you can see in the photo) all the time where my collarbones almost face forward and I've got use to riding like that the past 1-2 years now.
Have you seen anywhere on Aliexpress i can find narrow and flared bars?

StanK

by StanK

jlok wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:38 am
Yes narrow bars make steering more sensitive and may amplify rider's input affecting the front end of the bike, in theory. However, in reality it didn't become sensitive enough to make my ride unstable. I still riding down hill very fast and stable. It's more about the overall bike geometry rather than just considering the bar width I guess. You may grab the cheapest 36cm bar to test.
One need to adapt, that's whole story here. No matter is it 48, 38 or 28cm bar.
Everyone has to decide what is worth/works for him (for whatever reason), or not.

callemacody

by callemacody

i found this, 35 cm at hoods 40 at drops, should be a good sprinters handlebar no?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 5176%23441

pmprego

by pmprego

callemacody wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:48 am
i found this, 35 cm at hoods 40 at drops, should be a good sprinters handlebar no?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 5176%23441
They are clearly copying enve bars. Now is up to decision if the quality is there or not. For each one to decide.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Been riding 42cm bars on my gravel bike with no issues (which is narrow by gravel standards lol), gonna drop down to 38s on the new road bike. I've never had any issues with the narrow position using clip-on aero bars, so I don't think I'll have any issues with narrow bars.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

During two years I went from 44s to 42s and then to 40s and no comfort or handling issues at all. I just feel more ´folded´ on the bike in a good sense.
If we are able to spend a lot of money for the aero equipment which saves fraction of watts, why not to go for narrower bars which can save maybe 10+ watts?

pmprego

by pmprego

Roadrocket wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:20 pm
During two years I went from 44s to 42s and then to 40s and no comfort or handling issues at all. I just feel more ´folded´ on the bike in a good sense.
If we are able to spend a lot of money for the aero equipment which saves fraction of watts, why not to go for narrower bars which can save maybe 10+ watts?
For me it is all about confort. Being confortable trumps all the rest. Nonetheless, assuming confort doesn't change moving from 44 to 40 I doubt the effect is that large (everything else the same).

blaugrana

by blaugrana

TheRich wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:16 pm
As you go narrower with the bars, anything you do to move the bars is magnified. Longer stems counteract that, less so than bar width though. The wide bars (less sensitive) and short stem (more sensitive) of said guy counteract each other to some degree.
More sensitive in the sense that you move your arms less for a given steering angle, but you also need more force due to the reduced lever arm, so I would say the result is actually more stable. That's why it's so common to grab the handlebars very close to the stem when giving hand slings on Madison events.

But in any case, most of the steering on a road bike happens at relatively high speeds, where weight shifting is more important than just moving the handlebars.

DaveS

by DaveS

Those who think they steer a bike with weight shifting and not steering have usually never ridden a motorcycle or had proper motorcycle training. A bike or motorcycle is most acurately steered with the handlebars.

As my instructor said: To make the bike turn right, push on the right side bars (countersteering). To stop turning, quit pushing on the bars and the bike will straighten itself up. No body english of any sort is required. I've ridden thousands of miles of winding mountain roads and followed that advice to make accurate turns, with never a mistake. I rode down the same 10 mile descent 100 times a year for 7 years on a rim brake bike, using very little braking.

FWIW, I've used 38cm bars and a 110mm stem on nearly all of my bikes.

TheRich

by TheRich

blaugrana wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:30 pm
TheRich wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:16 pm
As you go narrower with the bars, anything you do to move the bars is magnified. Longer stems counteract that, less so than bar width though. The wide bars (less sensitive) and short stem (more sensitive) of said guy counteract each other to some degree.
More sensitive in the sense that you move your arms less for a given steering angle, but you also need more force due to the reduced lever arm, so I would say the result is actually more stable. That's why it's so common to grab the handlebars very close to the stem when giving hand slings on Madison events.

But in any case, most of the steering on a road bike happens at relatively high speeds, where weight shifting is more important than just moving the handlebars.
The steering forces are so low so the length of the lever arm is less of a factor than the difference in steering angle change per distance of bar movement at the grip point.

You don't steer by shifting your weight though, at high speeds you steer...or lean the bike...by creating an unstable condition by moving the contact patch out from under the "CG" of the bike/rider and then stabilizing the bike once the lean angle is achieved. You can do that by steering or by simply pushing the bars.

chris14

by chris14

Hi, I have just put a set of HUP 32cms on my 54 cm frame.
https://kidsracing.co.uk/products/hup-3 ... ross-bikes
Not too expensive to have a tryout.
I was on 38 hoods with a 40cm flare from a 3t Ltds and initial thought of dropping down to 36 cm but in the end though I might as well go extreme. It looks strange and have not had a great deal of time to ride on them, but first rides seem to be ok. It feels more twitchy but I don't find that my breathing is compressed. I will see with a longer ride the effect.
As an offset on the weight of the handlebars, there was less handlebar tape and cable...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com