38cm bars... going too far?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geraint

by Geraint

:lol: just for the avoidance of doubt, I have never actually wrestled a moose. But you got my analogy.

I might be with you on the 38cm drops thing. I've just put some on my SystemSix - my knees occasionally touch the bar ends when climbing out of the saddle, and it felt a bit strange on descents. Something I might get used to. For now, I think the ARs are my favourite bars, I would recommend trying them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chris14

by chris14

hi quick update on my experience with 32 cm Hup bars.
After more than 6 months, the bars still feel comfortable. They do feel narrow but I find that it is easy to tuck down into a tt position now. This came with riding longer and longer.
Now when I am on the tt bike it feels strange starting out with the 38 cm bull bars.

I am currently changing them for a 32cm Fourier bars that speedyboi mentioned. I seem to be lucky as mine weighs 269gms, a full gram less than his...they are deeper than the Hups and there is also more space in the middle to put clip on bars etc. I will send a pic to show the difference in profile.

naavt

by naavt

I have the exact same height as the OP and the 38 bars were a game changer for me! But I have narrow shoulders.

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

ryanw wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:24 pm
My bar of choice is the Enve SES Aero, even with its relatively heavy weight, I wouldn't change them unless something with the exact same geo came out that was 20g+ lighter and just as stiff.

I have 40s on my Allez (32cm hoods) and 42s on my SL7 (35cm hoods).
Is this what they actually measure on the hoods? The width delta, per their website/graphic, is 5 cm. I have historically ridden on a 42, and am debating a 42 or a 44 in the drop for these bars. Wondering if 37 and 39 on the hoods (respectively) will feel sketchy or welcomed. If they are even narrower (per your post), I think my mind would be made up.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Dependent on how you angle your shifters.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop