38cm bars... going too far?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

nulldreiundreissig wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:08 pm
I'm absolutely torn between the two of them for my SL6 disc, but I had the issue of numb hands when riding in the drops on my BMC TMR with a 3T-esque bend of the Drops and want to avoid this.
In my opinion, numb hands has more to do with bike fit and body position rather than bar width/shape. I'd increase saddle setback a touch and reduce stem length the same amount to keep overall reach the same first. This should distribute your upper body weight away from your hands to your bum and possibly reduce the tendency for numb hands.

Not saying bar width/shape won't affect things, but I'd look at weight distribution on the bike first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Saddle tilt also, I have a saddle that is completely flat and I have no numb hand. Another saddle has steps, with saddle tail raised. Both set so that I have the same setback where I sit. On the paper, raised tail is better as it provide a nice place to perch on. However, it's shape make me sit on non level part of the saddle (tilt down). It push my weight forward, thus numb hand. If I tilt it so that where I sit is level, then the nose rise and I'm numb where I sit. If I move it back, then I sit on the unusable part of the saddle so it doesn't work too. So, the only usable set up for that saddle cause me numb hand..

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I agree with previous posters that numb hands=too much weight on them, and with causes (saddle too far forward, or tilted down, or both). I have 42cm Enve bars (36 on hoods) and 38 cm Aerofly bars and prefer the Enve for comfort (abosroption of road buzz, the tops fit my large hands). I love the flared drops when climbing because I have a tendency to bump bars with my knees, as happens too often for my liking with the Aerofly.
Factor Ostro

ohexploitable

by ohexploitable

also keep in mind that riding at higher power will reduce load on hands. your weight is supported by three contact points: saddle, handlebars and pedals. if you ride at higher power then more weight will be supported by your feet and thus less load on your hands. over a 3-4 hour ride i get neck pain when i average 180-200w but not when i average 250-270w.

pmprego

by pmprego

fruitfly wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:09 pm
I agree with previous posters that numb hands=too much weight on them, and with causes (saddle too far forward, or tilted down, or both). I have 42cm Enve bars (36 on hoods) and 38 cm Aerofly bars and prefer the Enve for comfort (abosroption of road buzz, the tops fit my large hands). I love the flared drops when climbing because I have a tendency to bump bars with my knees, as happens too often for my liking with the Aerofly.
They could have increased the flare of the aerofly just a tiny bit (from the 2º to 4/5º) instead of just printing "rapide" letters in it. Some would say it's barely noticeable but really avoids that bumping on the bars with knees. Apart from that they'd be perfect for me.

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

pmprego wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:57 am
fruitfly wrote:
They could have increased the flare of the aerofly just a tiny bit (from the 2º to 4/5º) instead of just printing "rapide" letters in it. Some would say it's barely noticeable but really avoids that bumping on the bars with knees. Apart from that they'd be perfect for me.

First of all thank you! Yes there was some saddle tilt with the BMC, but I really didn't like the shape of the Bars. Numb hands were just the icing on the cake.

Anyhow... yes i agree. I was holding the new roval bars would get some flare and keep the same drop / reach, but instead there's no additional flare and now all bars have just 75mm reach.
I will call my bike shop today to enquire about the enve bars. If they cannot get one, I will use the Aerolfys in 38 with the hoods tilted slightly inward and an even longer stem 🙈

pmprego

by pmprego

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:39 pm
pmprego wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:57 am
fruitfly wrote:

First of all thank you! Yes there was some saddle tilt with the BMC, but I really didn't like the shape of the Bars. Numb hands were just the icing on the cake.

Anyhow... yes i agree. I was holding the new roval bars would get some flare and keep the same drop / reach, but instead there's no additional flare and now all bars have just 75mm reach.
I will call my bike shop today to enquire about the enve bars. If they cannot get one, I will use the Aerolfys in 38 with the hoods tilted slightly inward and an even longer stem 🙈
The aerofly ii in 38cm were alrady 75mm reach, 125mm drop. What they changed was sizes 40 and up. No flare though...

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Has anyone ridden both an Aerofly II in 38cm and the flared Enve Bars in 35/40cm?
I ride the Enve in 39. I would be really hesistant to ride 35 bars as handling on the hoods must be quite an experience. I used to ride 38s and found that to bit a bit squirmish for my liking can only imagine what a 35 is like.

I really like the Enve handlebars. They're not too stiff but never had an issue with them when sprinting and I find them properly comfortable.

pmprego

by pmprego

jadedaid wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 pm
Has anyone ridden both an Aerofly II in 38cm and the flared Enve Bars in 35/40cm?
I ride the Enve in 39. I would be really hesistant to ride 35 bars as handling on the hoods must be quite an experience. I used to ride 38s and found that to bit a bit squirmish for my liking can only imagine what a 35 is like.

I really like the Enve handlebars. They're not too stiff but never had an issue with them when sprinting and I find them properly comfortable.
Following on this, I'd like to ask people around here their opinion on "how much flare is to much" for a purely road bike?

I've ridden no flare and 4° of flare (which basically adds just slightly less than 1cm on each side when in the drops - around 2cm in total, of course).

I've now been wondering if 12° flare (increase of 4 to 5cm when compared to the hoods - kind of the enve aero bar) is just a bit too much.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

My bar of choice is the Enve SES Aero, even with its relatively heavy weight, I wouldn't change them unless something with the exact same geo came out that was 20g+ lighter and just as stiff.

I have 40s on my Allez (32cm hoods) and 42s on my SL7 (35cm hoods).
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

pmprego

by pmprego

ryanw wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:24 pm
My bar of choice is the Enve SES Aero, even with its relatively heavy weight, I wouldn't change them unless something with the exact same geo came out that was 20g+ lighter and just as stiff.

I have 40s on my Allez (32cm hoods) and 42s on my SL7 (35cm hoods).
Do the brake levers point out visibly? I don't want to ask "too much" becaue if you use and like it the obvious answer would be "no, they are just fine" but I guess it's also a personal preference.

If they do not point out, is it to do with the way enve designed the bars or that type of flare is simply not enough to make it look like a gravel bike where the levers ppoint crazy out? thanks

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

No ridiculous flare at all, just the perfect amount IMO.
Attachments
826BBCE8-24EB-441C-8C09-DEA60017101C.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

pmprego

by pmprego

ryanw wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:41 am
No ridiculous flare at all, just the perfect amount IMO.
Could not see anything beyond that very deep front wheel :)

More seriously, thanks for the reply. :thumbup:

Geraint

by Geraint

I really like the Enve aero and AR bars. I have 44cm aero ones on my SL7, they are about 37cm in the hoods, and they've convinced me that I can get on with 38cm non-flared bars on other bikes. The AR ones are similar - you can get them in 38/44cm - but they set the shifters more 'upright' rather than angled, and they are nicer to hold on the tops.

Basically I was on 44s until I rode the Enve aero bars more regularly and they converted me to 38s; now 44 at the hoods feels like wrestling a moose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Geraint wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:40 pm
I really like the Enve aero and AR bars. I have 44cm aero ones on my SL7, they are about 37cm in the hoods, and they've convinced me that I can get on with 38cm non-flared bars on other bikes. The AR ones are similar - you can get them in 38/44cm - but they set the shifters more 'upright' rather than angled, and they are nicer to hold on the tops.

Basically I was on 44s until I rode the Enve aero bars more regularly and they converted me to 38s; now 44 at the hoods feels like wrestling a moose.
Liked the "wrestling a moose" expression :)

I had 40cm hoods, 42cm at the drops which I liked. Then I tried 38cm. They were recommended in a bikefit and I really like iit in the hoods but don't particularly like the 38cm at the drops (especially when sprinting).

On the trainer I have a more graverly handlebar 40cm hoods and 45cm drops. I like the idea but I really find the 40cm way to wide and the 45cm in the drops definitely too wide. Nonetheless, I was now considering a 38cm at the hoods and 42cm in the drops. I guess I'll go for that.