Lightest Aluminium Disc Frameset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AnkitS

by AnkitS

jch3n wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:46 pm
Standert Kreissäge RS Disc?
Not even close to the top of the list. Nothing cool about these other than the paint imo.
Geometry in the smaller sizes resembles a gravel bike instead of a race bike.

flying

by flying

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:32 am
jch3n wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:46 pm
Standert Kreissäge RS Disc?
Not even close to the top of the list. Nothing cool about these other than the paint imo.
Geometry in the smaller sizes resembles a gravel bike instead of a race bike.
How so?
kressiage.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

You are looking at the wrong geo chart. 521/530mm stack really isn't agressive at all for the 48 and 50. Either way, none of their frames belong in this thread.

Mascalzone

by Mascalzone

bremerradkurier wrote:Ridley Helium SLA?
Was going to mention this, I've just built up a SLA Disc frameset, 7.7kg without pedals. No extreme weightweening done on it either. Frame only cost me $600 AUD

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

alexneumuller wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:57 am
Looking to build up an Aluminium frameset. Any advice on brands? Does not have to be mainstream brand....and it should be the lightest available

- Discbrakes
- Flatmount
- thru axle
- Race geometry
- GXP BB compability
- internal Brakelines
- No Budget Limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a great question, i had a thread looking for a custom option. The problem is that weight seems to be a non spec or its floating!
I mailed Cyfac in France, but they never replied.
Maybe you can get through if you try?

https://www.cyfac.fr/produit/alternativ/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

DaveS wrote:What's the point of aluminum, with no price limit? Most want a cheap disposable aluminumm frame for winter use or in expectation of trashing it in a race day crash. A cheap carbon frame would proabably be just as light.
The point is that I can and I want to try something for the fun of it. I have all the components on another build.....but don‘t find the bike that much fun to ride. So I though let us try something else. See bike below....moving all components over....except mudguards.

And I like bikes....and tinkering on them. Current bikes I have.....and as you can see no Aluminium Frame.

- 2015 Open 1.0 MTB
- Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel, Ti
- 2017 Stinner Frameworks Gibraltar, Ti

- Open U.P.(P.E.R.)
- Speedvagen Steel RimBrake
- Cielo Cycles Road Steel
- 2020 Cannondale SuperSixEvo Disc
- Parlee Z-Zero Disc
- English Cycles Road Steel Rim Brake
- Cervelo P5 Disc TT
- Specialized Venge S-Works
- Specialized S-Works Epic
- Specialized S-Works Tarmac
- Factor LS
- Fairlight Stalrael 2.0 (This is being Replaced)
- Isen All-Season

- Independent Fabrication Steel Crown Jewel Disc

Ordered:
- Factor Ostro (Frame only)
- Bastion (Frame only)
- Speedvagen Titanium Disc
- Specialized Aethos (Frame only)
- Pegoretti Round (Frame only)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You have crazy many bikes and i can see that you'd like to explore aluminium!
Go for it!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Singular

by Singular

There are/were arguably even lighter frames back-in-the-alloy-heydays (but those were rim brake and for slimmer tyres), but I don't think you are doing much better than the crop of CAAD12/13, Emonda ALR, Palace 3, SLA, Allez Sprint and the like at the time. Sure, there is always a few customs options to explore, but I'm not sure that you'll end up with anything lighter than offered by the mainstream players of the business (and with the added time, complications et cetera). For lowest possible weight, I guess that a CAAD12 still is king.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

What about a Spooky Mavrk? They do some interesting designs and I'm sure would be able to give you a more accurate weight

Singular

by Singular

Tifosiphil wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm
What about a Spooky Mavrk? They do some interesting designs and I'm sure would be able to give you a more accurate weight
Spooky's mighty fine, but it from $3000 (with 8 weeks quoted lead time).

cjm

by cjm

I've been looking for something similar and nothing really stands out.

CAAD13
Emonda ALR
BMC ALR
Palace R
Helium SLA
Kinesis Aithein

The BMC would be a bit different as I haven't seen many about, I'm not sure about tyre clearance? The Emonda looks ok and some nice colour options, plus frames seem to be avavlibe to buy, it also looks to be about the same weight as the new Emonda SL! I was tempted by the CAAD13 but I can't find a frame for sale anywhere. I was all set to buy a Bowman but the new colours are boring/fussy, I liked the two tone colours, and I wasn't to sure about the geometry on the SLA or Aithein.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Singular wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:42 pm
Tifosiphil wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm
Spooky's mighty fine, but it from $3000 (with 8 weeks quoted lead time).
Alex's build are always shiny, if it's the right frameset I am sure he will find a way (not saying Wooky is the correct option).

schlafen

by schlafen

There's a lot of hype around the Secan but never heard anything about the Strael.

I have to agree that Cannondale would probably be the best option for aluminium, they are the main player investing in R&D afterall.

Ribble Endurance AL Disc may be an option.

That English must be sweet, especially rim brake, was it custom? How is it?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Singular

by Singular

cjm wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:31 pm
I've been looking for something similar and nothing really stands out.

CAAD13
Emonda ALR
BMC ALR
Palace R
Helium SLA
Kinesis Aithein

The BMC would be a bit different as I haven't seen many about, I'm not sure about tyre clearance? The Emonda looks ok and some nice colour options, plus frames seem to be avavlibe to buy, it also looks to be about the same weight as the new Emonda SL! I was tempted by the CAAD13 but I can't find a frame for sale anywhere. I was all set to buy a Bowman but the new colours are boring/fussy, I liked the two tone colours, and I wasn't to sure about the geometry on the SLA or Aithein.
Totally forgot about the BMC and the Aithein (which seems to have a really loyal following in the UK). The BMC is in all a very viable option, but it had slipped off my shortlist due to being available in 2020 in colourways that I really did not like (and possibly only as completes...?). For 2021, it looks rather nice in black'n'gold (which for Swedish racing fans is a colour combination with a bit of meaning - and why my CX race bike was customized in that scheme...), but PF86 is a bit of a "weeeell..." for me.

And all of this is academical, because I have something you find boring (but this is the rather un-boring rim brake version...) on its way to me... 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com