Carbon end plugs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmprego

by pmprego

So... A friend showed me that the supacaz end plugs weight almost 40gr... Went online and saw this: Schmolke Carbon Bar Plugs

3gr!! For 35 euros.

This is a really good saving for the weight. Now... Do they work? What if I need to change the bar tape, will they be reusable? Does anyone know? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

Thanks. I'm gonna get them... 35 bucks to save 37 grams... It's 0.94 cents per gram... That's a bargain... If I think how much I spent per saved gram to save on wheels, seat, handlebar, etc...

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Or..

Get the standard Deda ones that come free with every set of bartape;

Source; viewtopic.php?t=144641&start=105

StanK

by StanK

Most of end plugs that you get with bartape (Ritchey, Selle Italia, Cinelli, Bike Ribbon...) are 4-5g (plastic). So, for 35 euros - not a good deal.
And, every plug dont fit (like it should) with every bartape. In fact, with some bartapes I was get better results with end plugs of some other manufacturer. A lot depends on the handlebars (hole). So it’s not that simple until you try a few.

Cubist

by Cubist

I have carbon ones from Berk. Haven’t installed them yet though. Waiting for the bar tape to wear out first. They are not listed on the website but if you send an email they’ll send you a pair. 7g

StanK

by StanK

I hope for free :mrgreen:

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Why would you want carbon end plugs, made by Schmolke, Berk or anyone?

Clearly 4Ibanez has shown that modified plastic cheapo ones are very light (2.2 grams!) and the carbon ones are significantly heavier.

If you just want to pimp out your bike I get it, but don't justify the expense as weight saving.

pmprego

by pmprego

Lucendi wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:29 am

Clearly 4Ibanez has shown that modified plastic cheapo ones are very light (2.2 grams!) and the carbon ones are significantly heavier.
Who's 4lbanez? I honestly didn't understand.

heliuscc

by heliuscc

I have a Di2 junction box that doubles as a bar end plug....

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

As others have mentioned, for non-structural hardware like a bar plug there's no reason to use carbon

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:17 am
As others have mentioned, for non-structural hardware like a bar plug there's no reason to use carbon
I get that but as I mentioned in the beginning. A friend weighted a supacaz bar plus at almost 40gr (something like that) and looking at the difference to these made in carbon the savings are considerable. I've realized that a simple plastic one maybe weights as much as these made in carbon which just indicates that using the one by supacaz is "a bad deal" (in terms of weight).

Like it was also mentioned. People go to great expenses to save 35gr. In their bikes.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Luckily I save bar plugs. I've been using the same Fizik plastic plugs with my Supacaz and newer Lizard Skins (they use the expander style plugs now) tape jobs.

slake21

by slake21

pmprego wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:24 pm
So... A friend showed me that the supacaz end plugs weight almost 40gr... Went online and saw this: Schmolke Carbon Bar Plugs

3gr!! For 35 euros.

This is a really good saving for the weight. Now... Do they work? What if I need to change the bar tape, will they be reusable? Does anyone know? Thanks!
Just get a set of PRO bar tape that come with this type of plugs in the picture below. They also weigh 3g each and a lot cheaper than carbon (€10-15)
Also you could cut the third ring off as the middle one is the wider of the three, so they can be made even lighter.
pro-handlebar-tape.jpg

pmprego

by pmprego

slake21 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:19 am
pmprego wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:24 pm

3gr!! For 35 euros.

Just get a set of PRO bar tape that come with this type of plugs in the picture below. They also weigh 3g each and a lot cheaper than carbon (€10-15)
Also you could cut the third ring off as the middle one is the wider of the three, so they can be made even lighter.
pro-handlebar-tape.jpg
Cool. I have a set of plugs similar to that one from a zipp bar tape. Nice then. I'll start using those.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PrimO

by PrimO

I use the carbon effect ones that come with Deda tape...theyre about 5/6g in weight and much lighter than the 46g bar ends that came with my Fabric knurl tape.