Cervelo R5 2022 spotted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Cheers! wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:36 am
How does this compare To the OPEN mind?
Min.d would be more comparable to the Cervelo Caledonia

I don't know when R5 framesets will be available in different markets. Where I am there would be no point in a frameset as you won't be able to get a groupset - at least, not one that includes brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

cervelo as good with Roglic, but also as good with Bianchi, but I believe as good with Giant,
so, finally, the rider as more important than the bike, any bike in Roglic hands are powerful.........
In the End: Cervelo and Giant are the same

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

It doesn't mean they're the same. It just means they are both good enough. One can still be faster than the other.

eric01

by eric01

Looks good! Claimed 703g frame weight in size 56. Too bad price is expensive. But they are following the market.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Coolcat

by Coolcat

What BB system? Still BBRight?

NLC86

by NLC86

Coolcat wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:21 pm
Yes, still BBRight...

Coolcat

by Coolcat

CyclingTips says it weighs 7.55 kg w/o pedals. That's very heavy. Where does all the weight come from? Often it is claimed that disc brake bikes weigh just 2-300 g more. Is it integration? But the frame weighs just 750 g... :noidea:

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

Force AXS will have something to do with that

Karvalo

by Karvalo

moock wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:52 am
Karvalo wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:27 am
moock wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:12 am
it is the FSA internal system.
You think? All their other hidden cable bikes use in house systems. Not sure why they'd suddenly go for off the shelf.
NYCPrynne wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:22 am
While I am hopeful about a new R5d, this looks suspiciously like the old.....
What else appears new besides the lack of cables which could be attributed to the FSA internal system?
The fork looks different, and the top of the seatstays.
it is the FSA system, because in the picture you can see it 😉
Called it :wink:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TheDoctor wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:44 pm
Force AXS will have something to do with that
Also the Reserves on DT 3xx hubs aren't that light, stem is heavy, seatpost is heavy. Not sure what you can do about the stem, and a Darimo seatpost is pricey but otherwise you can put together a much lighter build without that much effort.

jayjay

by jayjay

NLC86 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:24 pm
Coolcat wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:21 pm
Yes, still BBRight...
Is that a problem?

Coolcat

by Coolcat

BBRight is not problematic itself. The problem with Cervelo is poor BB shell tolerances.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Coolcat wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:58 pm
BBRight is not problematic itself. The problem with Cervelo is poor BB shell tolerances.
Maybe, but I'm not convinced it affects many frames; I've come across a lot of newer Cervelos (BBRight) and not heard of any problems; the Cervelo BBRight tolerances that I have personal experience with have been just fine.

This new R5 seems okay, but doesn't really stand out except for being a jack-of-all-trades road bike. Having said that, the weight of the Caledonia series puts me off, not because of the weight but my suspicion that it has a lot of in-plane stiffness just like the previous R5; meaning less than ideal "comfort" for the long, long rides. Fat-ish, squishy tires help, but having that compliance in the frame/fork is something I prefer, which seems to be what this R5 delivers. So it's tempting after all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

tjvirden wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:27 pm
Having said that, the weight of the Caledonia series puts me off, not because of the weight but my suspicion that it has a lot of in-plane stiffness just like the previous R5; meaning less than ideal "comfort" for the long, long rides.
That doesn't make any sense. Not only is the design of the Caledonia visually and obviously more comfort oriented than the R5, lighter weight frames generally need to be made with more use of higher modulus fibres which are more rigid.

Not only that, I've seen several companies (Cervelo included) say that in 'blind' testing of different proto frames the single easiest way to create a perception of more comfort is to make a frame heavier.