SL7 or Aethos, already have SL6

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Archie100

by Archie100

Hi, I thought I’d piggy-back on this thread since it mentions two of the bikes I’m looking at.
I’m fortunate enough to have the opportunity to buy a new S-Works Tarmac SL6 in either disc or rim frameset that I was going to build up into a sub-7kg bike with Dura Ace di2, SiSL2 crankset (which I already have), Aerofly 2 bars and Roval Rapide CLX wheelset for the disc frameset or Roval CLX 50 wheelset for the rim frameset. Both SL6 framesets are discounted compared to the original retail price but trouble is that I can also get a Fact-10r Aethos frameset at the same price and I’m wondering if building that up would be a better option. I know I’d have to go for a different crankset on the Aethos and I’d probably go for Alpinist cockpit and Alpinist CLX wheelset if I go for the Aethos frame. I don’t race and not interested in a new SL7 due to integrated cockpit for travelling with a bike box. The bike will replace a previous generation Emonda SLR disc, I’d like a bike that is a better all-rounder that holds speed better on flats and rolling terrain and not just good on hills. I’m leaning towards the SL6 rim frameset but haven’t fully decided yet. My last 3 bikes have all been disc brake and braking performance is excellent but dealing with rotor rub, minding rotors when travelling, maintenance with contaminated pads/rotors and noise at times in the wet can be a pain so I’m very tempted to go back to the simplicity and looks of a rim brake bike. On the other hand, the disc SL6 would avoid having to worry about damaging the braking surface on a nice set of CLX 50 wheels over time and the disc SL6 would probably hold better resale value in next few years. I’ll just have to weigh up the pros and cons and pick one but before I do I was wondering if anyone moved from an SL6 disc or rim bike to an Aethos and regretted it or if they found the Aethos better in ways.
@heliuscc, did you eventually get an Aethos along with your SL6 and if so what would you say?
Thanks

HTS888

by HTS888

I have an SL6 Ultralight 6.2kg build, Sworks Aethos 6.3 build, SL6 is a keeper, try and find, one, im running Aethos on 30mm and 50/34 11/30 and the SL with Aero cockpit, 52/36 10/25 now to differentiate the 2, weekend warrior/enthusiast so these bikes work for me. I also tuned my Maclaren Roubaix into a 1x grave rig save me buying a Crux. Buy what talks to you, life is too short to ponder, make a decison then change it if it does not work out, buying and testing bikes is what we do!! most of all have fun.
Attachments
IMG_1893 (1).jpg
IMG_1894.jpg
IMG_2159.jpg
Last edited by HTS888 on Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com