SL7 or Aethos, already have SL6

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

ome rodriguez
Posts: 856
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 am

by ome rodriguez

Yes I was lured by the Aethos marketing, never again.
I have powermeters both on the SL7 and Aethos. The SL7 has been breaking my personal best on the climbs here.

by Weenie


User avatar
guyc
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 am
Location: Hampshire, England
Contact:

by guyc

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:37 am
I have both SL7 and Aethos, haven't ridden the latter yet. Also had an SL6 before. The SL7 is stiffer in all places and faster.
Placebo or you just need to justify your purchase?

S-Works SL6: BB stiffness 76N/mm HT stiffness 105N/mm Fork stiffness 65N/mm
S-Works SL7: BB stiffness 58N/mm HT stiffness 97N/mm Fork stiffness 53N/mm

I have ridden S-Works SL6 and it was one of the stiffest bikes I ever rode (about a hair behind Cipollini RB1K, but much lighter).

With all due respect, even if the SL7 was stiffer (it´s not) and few watts faster, I doubt you would feel the difference.
But have you ridden the SL7? I came from SL6 and I can feel the difference. The SL7 is faster in all places. I've been winning local races with it the past few months.
Btw, just sold my Aethos because it was like an SL6
Do you honestly believe that you've been winning races because you're on an SL7 and wouldn't have won them on an SL6?

If so I've got a bridge to sell you.

gurk700
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 pm

by gurk700

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:29 am
Yes I was lured by the Aethos marketing, never again.
I have powermeters both on the SL7 and Aethos. The SL7 has been breaking my personal best on the climbs here.
mmm tasty tasty kool-aid :lol:

ome rodriguez
Posts: 856
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 am

by ome rodriguez

gurk700 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:29 am
Yes I was lured by the Aethos marketing, never again.
I have powermeters both on the SL7 and Aethos. The SL7 has been breaking my personal best on the climbs here.
mmm tasty tasty kool-aid :lol:
Really? Same as you. Probably got the Aethos of its weight, this is weightweenies anyway. ✌️

Roadrocket
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am
Location: Slovakia

by Roadrocket

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:37 am
I have both SL7 and Aethos, haven't ridden the latter yet. Also had an SL6 before. The SL7 is stiffer in all places and faster.
Placebo or you just need to justify your purchase?

S-Works SL6: BB stiffness 76N/mm HT stiffness 105N/mm Fork stiffness 65N/mm
S-Works SL7: BB stiffness 58N/mm HT stiffness 97N/mm Fork stiffness 53N/mm

I have ridden S-Works SL6 and it was one of the stiffest bikes I ever rode (about a hair behind Cipollini RB1K, but much lighter).

With all due respect, even if the SL7 was stiffer (it´s not) and few watts faster, I doubt you would feel the difference.
But have you ridden the SL7? I came from SL6 and I can feel the difference. The SL7 is faster in all places. I've been winning local races with it the past few months.
Btw, just sold my Aethos because it was like an SL6
No I haven´t ridden SL7 yet, but I have ridden a lot of high end bikes so I can compare. Originally you wrote ´The SL7 is stiffer in all places´ which you can see is not true. Your feelings about SL7 being stiffer probably comes from the significantly stiffer seatpost. SL7 seatpost deflection 156N/mm, SL6 seatpost deflection 104N/mm, so SL7 is less comfortable, hence the ´stiffer´ feel.
And how much faster is the SL7 than SL6? 10s over 100km route at the most (mainly due to aero handlebar) ?

Congrats on your victories, but if you really believe it was because you replaced SL6 for SL7, I have really nothing more to say.
You have great bike but it´s in no way ´stiffer and faster´ than SL6.
Last edited by Roadrocket on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ryanw
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 pm
Location: London

by ryanw

SL7.
Allez Sprint Disc - 7.60kg
SL7 S-Works - 6.65kg
www.rhinosworkshop.co.uk
IG: RhinosWorkshop

mgrl
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:49 am

by mgrl

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:27 am
And how much faster is the SL7 than SL6? 10s over 100km route at the most (mainly due to aero handlebar) ?

Congrats on your victories, but if you really believe it was because you replaced SL6 for SL7, I have really nothing more to say.
viewtopic.php?p=1618024#p1618024

If you go by the Tour testing, it's a lot more than 10s.

Also, road racing isn't time trialling. If you're anywhere near threshold, saving those 14W (that Tour claims to be the difference between the two, or 11W between rim SL6 and SL7) can be the difference between easily staying in the bunch with plenty in reserve and blowing.

No-one's saying that it'll turn you into Bennett or JA just by jumping on, but that doesn't mean it can't have an effect. To go back to TTs, I've lost a race by 1s before - do you honestly think that equipment differences couldn't have made up that 0.08% difference in speed?

Kaludrob
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:55 pm

by Kaludrob

wahtever makes your heart race imo. if you race get the tarmac, if you ride to stay healthy and for the joy of cycling, get the aethos. I am kind of in the same position. i am looking at the aethos, which i would build up with an aero bar and discard the 10-15 watts difference in a wind tunnel in certain conditions. however if you want the sl7, get it with 28mm or 30mm tires which will get you more comfort than any seatpost etc...

but as you said, you are working on yur bike yourself. the aethos is for sure less hassle to work on, play around with different stems, bars etc.
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 4129
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

Ridiculous all of this. If you want speed get Venge or keep SL6. SL7 is less stiff in every area except the seat mast tube. This is where you want it to be comfortable!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D

ome rodriguez
Posts: 856
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 am

by ome rodriguez

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:27 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:37 am
I have both SL7 and Aethos, haven't ridden the latter yet. Also had an SL6 before. The SL7 is stiffer in all places and faster.

Placebo or you just need to justify your purchase?

S-Works SL6: BB stiffness 76N/mm HT stiffness 105N/mm Fork stiffness 65N/mm
S-Works SL7: BB stiffness 58N/mm HT stiffness 97N/mm Fork stiffness 53N/mm

I have ridden S-Works SL6 and it was one of the stiffest bikes I ever rode (about a hair behind Cipollini RB1K, but much lighter).

With all due respect, even if the SL7 was stiffer (it´s not) and few watts faster, I doubt you would feel the difference.
But have you ridden the SL7? I came from SL6 and I can feel the difference. The SL7 is faster in all places. I've been winning local races with it the past few months.
Btw, just sold my Aethos because it was like an SL6
No I haven´t ridden SL7 yet, but I have ridden a lot of high end bikes so I can compare. Originally you wrote ´The SL7 is stiffer in all places´ which you can see is not true. Your feelings about SL7 being stiffer probably comes from the significantly stiffer seatpost. SL7 seatpost deflection 156N/mm, SL6 seatpost deflection 104N/mm, so SL7 is less comfortable, hence the ´stiffer´ feel.
And how much faster is the SL7 than SL6? 10s over 100km route at the most (mainly due to aero handlebar) ?

Congrats on your victories, but if you really believe it was because you replaced SL6 for SL7, I have really nothing more to say.
You have great bike but it´s in no way ´stiffer and faster´ than SL6.
I'm not gonna argue anymore. I know you still have your SL6. I hope you can ride or own an SL7 in the future. I've owned a Pinarello Dogma F10, Colnago C64, Lightweight Urgestalt, SL6, and etc. The SL7 is the fastest bike I've ridden even on climbs.
I love the SL7 so much that I'm planning to buy another one. Just waiting the Quickstep to be available which is the original color I ordered. Still happy I got this Chameleon could have waited very long time to own one

Roadrocket
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am
Location: Slovakia

by Roadrocket

mgrl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:59 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:27 am
And how much faster is the SL7 than SL6? 10s over 100km route at the most (mainly due to aero handlebar) ?

Congrats on your victories, but if you really believe it was because you replaced SL6 for SL7, I have really nothing more to say.
viewtopic.php?p=1618024#p1618024

If you go by the Tour testing, it's a lot more than 10s.

Also, road racing isn't time trialling. If you're anywhere near threshold, saving those 14W (that Tour claims to be the difference between the two, or 11W between rim SL6 and SL7) can be the difference between easily staying in the bunch with plenty in reserve and blowing.

No-one's saying that it'll turn you into Bennett or JA just by jumping on, but that doesn't mean it can't have an effect. To go back to TTs, I've lost a race by 1s before - do you honestly think that equipment differences couldn't have made up that 0.08% difference in speed?
Yes, the time trialing is all about aero (besides 100% right body position) so I would do whatever change to my TT bike that will save me even 0.5W.
But 210W (SL7) vs 221W (SL6) is pretty much the same considering road racing nature. If you´d have closer look at those numbers you will see the SL7 had advantage of aero handlebar and deep section wheels.
The aero handlebar alone is worth 4-5W, how much are the wheels? Put the same wheels and handlebar on SL6 and then compare.

Apples to apples.

Roadrocket
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am
Location: Slovakia

by Roadrocket

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:21 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:27 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm



Placebo or you just need to justify your purchase?

S-Works SL6: BB stiffness 76N/mm HT stiffness 105N/mm Fork stiffness 65N/mm
S-Works SL7: BB stiffness 58N/mm HT stiffness 97N/mm Fork stiffness 53N/mm

I have ridden S-Works SL6 and it was one of the stiffest bikes I ever rode (about a hair behind Cipollini RB1K, but much lighter).

With all due respect, even if the SL7 was stiffer (it´s not) and few watts faster, I doubt you would feel the difference.
But have you ridden the SL7? I came from SL6 and I can feel the difference. The SL7 is faster in all places. I've been winning local races with it the past few months.
Btw, just sold my Aethos because it was like an SL6
No I haven´t ridden SL7 yet, but I have ridden a lot of high end bikes so I can compare. Originally you wrote ´The SL7 is stiffer in all places´ which you can see is not true. Your feelings about SL7 being stiffer probably comes from the significantly stiffer seatpost. SL7 seatpost deflection 156N/mm, SL6 seatpost deflection 104N/mm, so SL7 is less comfortable, hence the ´stiffer´ feel.
And how much faster is the SL7 than SL6? 10s over 100km route at the most (mainly due to aero handlebar) ?

Congrats on your victories, but if you really believe it was because you replaced SL6 for SL7, I have really nothing more to say.
You have great bike but it´s in no way ´stiffer and faster´ than SL6.
I'm not gonna argue anymore. I know you still have your SL6. I hope you can ride or own an SL7 in the future. I've owned a Pinarello Dogma F10, Colnago C64, Lightweight Urgestalt, SL6, and etc. The SL7 is the fastest bike I've ridden even on climbs.
I love the SL7 so much that I'm planning to buy another one. Just waiting the Quickstep to be available which is the original color I ordered. Still happy I got this Chameleon could have waited very long time to own one
I know you love your SL7 and I understand it, as I said it´s great bike for sure. When first released I would consider buying it if it was availible in rim brake, because I love my Mavic CXR, Bora Ultra and Roval rim wheelsets.
But after all, buying SL7 instead of SL6 doesn´t make much sense. SL6 is stiffer and probably only 2-3 watts behind SL7 (with aero handlebar and deep wheels).
I cannot say it is any slower than my Venge, but much better in hills and stiffer in sprints.

Enjoy your SL7.

Stueys
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:12 pm

by Stueys

Personally I'd go SL7, I can't see much point in not having a frame that isn't aero optimised when you aren't really compromising for it. People will talk about frame compliance, which is valid but pretty irreleveant compared to the comfort that a set of 28 tyres would give you.

mgrl
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:49 am

by mgrl

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am
But 210W (SL7) vs 221W (SL6) is pretty much the same considering road racing nature. If you´d have closer look at those numbers you will see the SL7 had advantage of aero handlebar and deep section wheels.
The aero handlebar alone is worth 4-5W, how much are the wheels? Put the same wheels and handlebar on SL6 and then compare.

Apples to apples.
The stock wheels on the S-Works SL6 were Roval CLX50s so the difference between the wheels is going to be pretty minor, doubly so because Rapides are disc only. I suspect a disc SL6 with rapides will be about the same drag as the rim with CLX50s at best.

by Weenie


Kaludrob
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:55 pm

by Kaludrob

according the tour mag the clx50 is faster by .1 watts than the rapides. so they are identical basically
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Post Reply