SL7 or Aethos, already have SL6

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:21 am
gurk700 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:29 am
Yes I was lured by the Aethos marketing, never again.
I have powermeters both on the SL7 and Aethos. The SL7 has been breaking my personal best on the climbs here.
mmm tasty tasty kool-aid :lol:
Really? Same as you. Probably got the Aethos of its weight, this is weightweenies anyway. ✌️
No I bought SL6 ultralight rim, SL6 disc, SL7, Aethos.

Sold all and bought 2 Cannondale Supersix which I like even more than all of above. If you made me buy an S-works again, it would hands down would be SL6 ultralight rim.

I’ve done my laps around the S-works block so your typical “have you even ridden it” doesn’t really work here buddy :) All the more power to you. Ride what you like. But if you’re gonna try to tell me SL7 made you or can make anyone magically faster, be prepared to be laughed at a little for sounding like a Specialized ad.

I’ll say it again. Choose the one you like the look of or makes you wanna ride. In the end you’ll be same rider getting the same results.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zorka

by Zorka

Has not been the SL7 tested with deep section 60mm wheelset?

gurk700

by gurk700

guyc wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:07 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:37 am
I have both SL7 and Aethos, haven't ridden the latter yet. Also had an SL6 before. The SL7 is stiffer in all places and faster.
Placebo or you just need to justify your purchase?

S-Works SL6: BB stiffness 76N/mm HT stiffness 105N/mm Fork stiffness 65N/mm
S-Works SL7: BB stiffness 58N/mm HT stiffness 97N/mm Fork stiffness 53N/mm

I have ridden S-Works SL6 and it was one of the stiffest bikes I ever rode (about a hair behind Cipollini RB1K, but much lighter).

With all due respect, even if the SL7 was stiffer (it´s not) and few watts faster, I doubt you would feel the difference.
But have you ridden the SL7? I came from SL6 and I can feel the difference. The SL7 is faster in all places. I've been winning local races with it the past few months.
Btw, just sold my Aethos because it was like an SL6
Do you honestly believe that you've been winning races because you're on an SL7 and wouldn't have won them on an SL6?

If so I've got a bridge to sell you.
Damn it! Ok I’ll get in line after you and sell the upgraded bridge to rule them all that is stiffer and more aero :lol:

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

the new Met manta helmet probably diminishes the difference between an aethos with aerobars and an sl7 with the same wheels. its all marketing and nothing else. all the differences in frames etc cannot be replicated in the real world anyway.
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

gurk700 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:43 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:21 am
gurk700 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:29 am
Yes I was lured by the Aethos marketing, never again.
I have powermeters both on the SL7 and Aethos. The SL7 has been breaking my personal best on the climbs here.
mmm tasty tasty kool-aid :lol:
Really? Same as you. Probably got the Aethos of its weight, this is weightweenies anyway. ✌️
No I bought SL6 ultralight rim, SL6 disc, SL7, Aethos.

Sold all and bought 2 Cannondale Supersix which I like even more than all of above. If you made me buy an S-works again, it would hands down would be SL6 ultralight rim.

I’ve done my laps around the S-works block so your typical “have you even ridden it” doesn’t really work here buddy :) All the more power to you. Ride what you like. But if you’re gonna try to tell me SL7 made you or can make anyone magically faster, be prepared to be laughed at a little for sounding like a Specialized ad.

I’ll say it again. Choose the one you like the look of or makes you wanna ride. In the end you’ll be same rider getting the same results.
Good for you. I'm faster and have better results on the SL7 than the other bikes I mentioned so happy with it. You're right choose the one makes you wanna ride.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

guyc wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:07 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:37 am
I have both SL7 and Aethos, haven't ridden the latter yet. Also had an SL6 before. The SL7 is stiffer in all places and faster.
Placebo or you just need to justify your purchase?

S-Works SL6: BB stiffness 76N/mm HT stiffness 105N/mm Fork stiffness 65N/mm
S-Works SL7: BB stiffness 58N/mm HT stiffness 97N/mm Fork stiffness 53N/mm

I have ridden S-Works SL6 and it was one of the stiffest bikes I ever rode (about a hair behind Cipollini RB1K, but much lighter).

With all due respect, even if the SL7 was stiffer (it´s not) and few watts faster, I doubt you would feel the difference.
But have you ridden the SL7? I came from SL6 and I can feel the difference. The SL7 is faster in all places. I've been winning local races with it the past few months.
Btw, just sold my Aethos because it was like an SL6
Do you honestly believe that you've been winning races because you're on an SL7 and wouldn't have won them on an SL6?

If so I've got a bridge to sell you.
I believe I'm faster on the SL7 than the other bikes I've owned.

gurk700

by gurk700

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 pm

I believe I'm faster on the SL7 than the other bikes I've owned.
Placebo effect is not to be sniffed at and I don’t mean that as a joke. If you *think* you’re faster, odds are you are, because the new exciting bike you like is making you ride faster.

But objectively we both know you can’t test this in the real world. Wind changes, fitness changes, road conditions, tire pressures, how you pace a climb, your race tactics are all significantly more important contributors than cda numbers in a wind tunnel test...

With that I’ll leave this topic cause frankly I can’t believe we’re still discussing marketing claims in 2021. We should all know better.

Toybota

by Toybota

Difference in chamois thickness probably make more difference than Swork SL6 vs SL7.

christiancarr

by christiancarr

Not true!

SL7 will make you win races :popcorn:

stillTrying

by stillTrying

I'm coming from a rim brake s-works sl6 with some clx50s to the regular aethos with some roval rapides. I've got about 1000mi on the aethos now and this is my take.

The bikes feel so much the same. If I put them side by side, they look almost identical too. Although the sl6 looks better IMO. The aethos lacks in looks for me.

Out of the saddle on on the hoods, the aethos feels more solid than the sl6. Could be the aluminum bars on the aethos or the through axle but it feels better. Like nothing is wasted.

The aethos wants to get around those corners on a desent so quickly. Like it begs to go faster and doesn't feel scary. Just super solid through the corners and wants to go faster(to the point that I know I shouldn't). The sl6 is not quite as good there.

I feel that they both climb well and I'm not sure I feel any difference there. Both bikes weigh just about the same.

In the beginning I was also getting a bit of rear wheel lift on some heavy, in the saddle efforts on slight downhills. Like I need to put more weight back so the rear wheel doesn't lift. Maybe this is due to a bit of different in my bike fit. But I've had the rear wheel lift and the come back down and the bike is right back on the road.

I also think those rapide wheels are really fast. In some cross winds I am getting a sail like effect and they just seem fast. It has been the windy time of year here and was getting blown around a bit. I think a bit more than the clx50s but who knows.

I don't think that I am any slower on this non-aero frame and in fact think that I am marignally faster(maybe the wheelset). Have some PRs and a couple KOMs on the aethos on roads that I regularly ride.

I feel like you can't go wrong with either bike. I went aethos because I didn't want to deal with the integrated parts.

christiancarr

by christiancarr

No way the Aethos is more solid than SL6. It´s great bike for sure, but it´s wet noodle compared to SL6.

gurk700

by gurk700

christiancarr wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 pm
No way the Aethos is more solid than SL6. It´s great bike for sure, but it´s wet noodle compared to SL6.
No, it’s not. I’m not saying “it’s more solid” but it’s not a “wet noodle” either.

This site is really starting to be full of people talking out their a$$es and just claiming what they spent the most money on and marketed the latest to be the greatest. Whole forum is turning into Ronald Kuba’s lol :roll:

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

well not everything is a pile of crap. But the arguments are based on very weak actual facts. The rider with 75% is a considerably bigger factor in terms of wind resistance according a german magazine. The remaining 25% is the bike with all its components. Aero handlebar according zipp is around 6 Watts and deep section wheels surely have an impact too. So the 10 watts saving of an aerobike sounds huge if you look at it, but that is with the above mentioned components already. And the frame itself contributes only with a very small percentage. I believe an aero helmet, an aero suit and an aero handlebar are the best upgrades you can do. After you have optimized your position on the bike, which basicaly equals free gains. It only needs work on the riders felxibility and strength. So if you really need to be faster 10 seconds at an average of 45 km/h then go for the frame upgrade. But then you should be thinking of becoming a pro rider anyway and eventually ride, what you have been provided with.

Having said all that, cycling is my hobby and playing around with parts etc. brings me joy. Spending money on a hobby does not need justifying at all imo (just bought bottlecages for a ridiculous 110 Euro :-D). But ride, what you like the most. If its the aero bike, go for it, lightweight climbing bike? awesome! If you can afford it and you are willing to pay the crazy prices? Then why not?

Just keep that in mind, that markting has a purpose of selling products. Nothig else. Specuialized has mastered it to perfection.
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Geraint

by Geraint

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:38 pm
Ok. 👍 Sorry guys no more opinions from me.
I for one really appreciate your opinions :thumbup:

Shame there's always criticism - tends to put people off sharing their thoughts and suppresses debate :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com