Bike case for bikes with semi integrated handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dexe

by dexe

I'm looking at hard-shell bike boxes for general (not only air) travel with my bike. I've recently purchased a bmc slr with the ics2 cockpit. More bikes with similar handlebar configurations were launched this year, like the emonda, so I'm guessing more people are looking into this.

I've been reading up and watching lots of videos, but could use some advice.

It's difficult to estimate wether the bike will fit in the topeak pakgo x. The stem and handlebar do detach, but of course can't be lined up with the fork.

Does anyone have experience with fitting similar bikes into that box or would it be impossible? For reference, I have a relatively small 51 frame, which may come in handy. Sadly no one I know owns this or a similar bike case.

The topeak seems like a more attractive option than the boxum box, as it's slightly more compact and I can get it at a good price. I would also prefer a square box to some of the more awkwardly shaped alternatives bike a bba tri, for it's stackability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steadimann

by Steadimann

Hi!

Have you found answers/solution? Researching same issue if topeak case will pack Dogma with integrated cockpit..

ms6073

by ms6073

Most of the options that don't require removal of the aero bar are somewhat expensive. A friend of ours is very tall and rides a BMC Road Machine 2 and while he could remove the bars, he opted for the Scicon Aerocomfort 3.o TSA Road bike Travel Bag.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

js

by js

I worked in cycle-tourism for a few years, with the job of packing plenty of highend bikes - albeit nearly a decade ago, before through the bars/stem routing was a thing - so I have far more than my share of experience packing bikes into various cases. If there's any way to stay clear of leaving your handlebar on, I'd take that route if I could.

The trouble with leaving the bars attached is that it presents the chance to leverage any force into the areas you least want risk - namely the handlebars and steerer tube. Both are also places with a high probability you won't see the damage. Maybe a shifter is pushed sideways, but there are many ways to take a big hit on the bars in transit that wouldn't result in the shifter rotating.

If it's possible to remove your integrated handlebar at the stem from steerer and you have enough slack in the brake hose to secure it sideways against the frame, then that would be my suggestion. If you don't have enough slack to do so, maybe consider a travel bike? That may sound silly or extravagent, but most fully-integrated bikes are $7,500 and up, and cycling trips are often climb-focused anyway, so putting a few $$$$ into a low-tier Aethos or used TCR, then swapping a few parts like wheels from your A bike can actually start to make sense.

Any risks with the steerer tube are always best avoided.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

The risks above only apply to soft cases. Read up reviews about the Scicon and similar bags. 90% of people have no issues but enough have disastrous stories that I'd never use a soft case.

There are two answers to this thread, that I know of:
- Premierbike: https://www.premierbike.com/products/bike-travel-case
- BikeBox Alan Easyfit: https://www.bikeboxalan.com/product/tri ... 52f3c22ed6

Shokbox claimed to have something coming a year or two ago, but don't know what's going on there.

The premierbike box is smaller than the BikeBox. Since you're a size 51, I'd go with that to reduce the struggle of fitting it into taxis.

kroem

by kroem

Idk how the BMC work, but my gravel will fully integrated cables (Tantan frame) have enough slack so I can loosen the bar and put it on the side. I travel with a B&W Bikebox 2.
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I own an Orucase and they have a video on fitting in bikes with cables in integrated cockpits here https://youtu.be/LZQoKNCjAhY perhaps it is helpful to you.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk