Bib Shorts with Higher Density Pad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Zero7 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:11 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:50 pm
By far, the best chamois are made by Elastic Interface, an Italian brand that wholesales to cycle clothing manufacturers. After having tried many top brands on the market, a desperate google search for an endurance bib turned up a small Colorado based company called Pactimo. They use Elastic Interface chamois exclusively across their line, with the top chamois in their 12-hour bib.

https://www.pactimo.com/collections/the ... bs-for-men

I promise you that after riding with this bib, you will never buy another brand! Unfortunately, you just missed their 50% off sale that they run every November. However, they will likely have another early Spring sale soon with similar discounts.

Most of Pactimo's kit is of excellent quality. However I find that their gloves and shoe covers aren't feature rich enough, so I stick with Castelli in this area.

EDIT: This is the link to Elastic Interface. You can find other companies who use their chamois is buying from the US is an issue. With that said, Pactimo quality is excellent! I'm still riding on the first 12-hour bib I bought 4 seasons ago.

https://www.elasticinterface.com/
Do you have any experience with Pactimo Summit Strike or Summit Raptor bibs?
Also curious about the leg length of their bibs. I like them to be longer. That's one reason I like Sportful Total Comfort bibs.
I have both Strike and Raptor, as well as the 12-Hour. The difference is the chamois (light padding or thicker padding) and the material of the bib itself (lighter compression or more compression). All are about the same leg length unless you get the "long"version, which is really only a longer elastic band at the bottom. I'm ~175cm tall and a size XL bib with standard length comes just above my knee.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Cannoli wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:28 pm
DeLuz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 am
I ended up getting the Pactimo Summit Stratos "12-Hour" Bibs on sale.
According to their sizing guide I am an XS, also talked to somebody on the phone there and they also recommended XS.
I normally wear a mdium in European brands.
Turned out it was a bit too small, I could get them on and ride in them but just didn't feel right.
So I got a size Small to compare and it is much better.
Have only gone for one short in them but wow are they comfortable and fit a like second skin.
The pad really works well to releive pressure.
The materials and workmanship are top notch.
Decided to order a second pair while they are still on sale.
Excellent! So glad you like them. I always stock up on winter and summer bibs when they have their sales (which is often during the Fall and Winter months). No reason to pay full price.
Cannoli, how would you compare Pactimo bibshort fit with Assos? Castelli? A bit hard to relate to Deluz (XS - must be a climber), I wear L in Assos Equipe, M in Assos Mille and Cento, and XL in Castelli Aero Race. I see that you are 175 cm tall but wear XL. I assume you are solidly built.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:50 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:28 pm
DeLuz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 am
I ended up getting the Pactimo Summit Stratos "12-Hour" Bibs on sale.
According to their sizing guide I am an XS, also talked to somebody on the phone there and they also recommended XS.
I normally wear a mdium in European brands.
Turned out it was a bit too small, I could get them on and ride in them but just didn't feel right.
So I got a size Small to compare and it is much better.
Have only gone for one short in them but wow are they comfortable and fit a like second skin.
The pad really works well to releive pressure.
The materials and workmanship are top notch.
Decided to order a second pair while they are still on sale.
Excellent! So glad you like them. I always stock up on winter and summer bibs when they have their sales (which is often during the Fall and Winter months). No reason to pay full price.
Cannoli, how would you compare Pactimo bibshort fit with Assos? Castelli? A bit hard to relate to Deluz (XS - must be a climber), I wear L in Assos Equipe, M in Assos Mille and Cento, and XL in Castelli Aero Race. I see that you are 175 cm tall but wear XL. I assume you are solidly built.
Yeah, I'm pretty solid. I have an 81cm waist and a 96cm chest with legs like tree trunks. I have a hard time getting clothing to fit properly across the board. In Castelli, I wear XL aero jerseys and 2XL bibs to fit my legs. I have L winter bibs and indoor trainer bibs in Pactimo, but prefer XL for my summer bibs. A L would fit for summer bibs, but I don't like how the elastic band on the short bibs cuts into my legs (it does this a bit with the indoor trainer bibs).

In short, I think Castelli bibs run a bit smaller than Pactimo, but their jerseys are about the same size. The fit of Pactimo bibs are pretty much the same across their range, with the exception of their Vertex winter bibs which run the same size, but don't stretch as well due to the wind stopper fabric on the legs.

Hope this helps!
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

The Elastic Interface Endurance 2.5 pad is by far the most dense pad I have ever used. I was having issues with a new saddle with a bit of a sharper edge near the center opening and this pad made it disappear.

Arph

by Arph

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:00 pm
Le Col Pro bib shorts. Pad is so thick it almost feels like a wedgie, but it's tremendously supportive and comfortable too, like a much more padded seat. If you are looking for a high density pad this is a good choice.
Agreed, the Le Col pad (probably made by EI as well) is very thick and confortable. But the HC bibs I had tended to run larger than the brands I usually use (Castelli, Craft, Sportful mostly). So I did not keep them.

sychen

by sychen

Arph wrote:
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:00 pm
Le Col Pro bib shorts. Pad is so thick it almost feels like a wedgie, but it's tremendously supportive and comfortable too, like a much more padded seat. If you are looking for a high density pad this is a good choice.
Agreed, the Le Col pad (probably made by EI as well) is very thick and confortable. But the HC bibs I had tended to run larger than the brands I usually use (Castelli, Craft, Sportful mostly). So I did not keep them.
Also have a Le Col winter bibs..

First few rides wasn't good... But it was probably not sitting right due to its thickness.

Once I wore it a few times and got it setup right.. It was fantastic for long rides. Might spring for a pro model to add to the stable.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Arph

by Arph

I had issue with the shorts not staying in place due to bibs a bit too long for me.

CR987

by CR987

My sit bone pain has been a constant source of irritation and discomfort. Some of the pain was alleviated after a bike fit with pressure pad found my seat was a bit too high which caused some rocking.
I have found the red Castelli Kiss pad to be the most comfortable (the most comfortable that I have used but definitely not recommending them because I haven't tried any others) so far but I haven't tried any of the others mentioned. I would love to try those 12 hour bibs but hard to get to South Africa

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

A couple of high density options:

1) The Black Bibs - Ultimate Adventure Bibs https://theblackbibs.com/collections/me ... nture-bibs
2) La Passione - Prestige Bib Shorts Blue https://us.lapassione.cc/collections/me ... horts-blue

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Still haven't got a chance to try SQlab 4mm thin and firm bib short.
https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/clot ... one12.html
Anyone tried it yet.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I do like bibs with a high density pad and I've found La Passione Minamalist and PSN bibs have a dense chamios as well as LeCol Pro Bib Shorts all have a 200 g/sqm pad which are firmer than most chamios which use 120 g/sqm pads.

I have the Pactimo 12 hour bib and am not super impressed with the chamios. It's thick but not super dense and I find it more of a 2-3 hour bib.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Castelli and Santini my current favorites.
Just ride ..

Matte86

by Matte86

I recently bought the new Assos GTO bibs and they are great. They are Expensive and they have a new and Thicker pad than usual (so not sure it is for everyone), but they are phenomenal for long hours in the saddle and long workouts on the turbo

kode54

by kode54

I agree on the Assos GTO. Very thick pad but seems to compress more like memory foam. They fit better than previous Mille shorts.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matte86

by Matte86

Yeah at the Lugano Assos Shop where I purchased mine, they explained all the techy details, and they mentioned that the pad is 2cm, but once you’re on the saddle it gets narrower (purposely so). How narrow? They say it depends on the weight of the rider but even for lighter ones it should get narrow by 1cm