Bib Shorts with Higher Density Pad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

kdawg wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:04 pm
I have the Rapha core shorts and I like their pad - seems firm but not too bulky.
Proof that everyone has such different requirements. This is the worst pad I've ever worn. Soft and low density, so just squishes up into soft tissue and painful after 15 minutes. Each to their own!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kdawg

by kdawg

That's a fair point - it's exactly like saddle recommendations. I like X and you like Y - and the other way round is like a knife edge.

It's almost like everyone's backside is different!
I'm left handed, if that matters.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Have a look at Bioracer. Their Vapor man pad is really cool. Firm while relatively thin. I recently switched to a Saevid Alien Carbon saddle which turned out to be some kind of "amplifier" for pad differences.
I find the Vapor the most comfortable, followed by the Elastic Interface in my club's bib (not sure what version that is, could be just a little bit more dense to be perfect) and Castelli Progretto X2.

Gx3

by Gx3

nikospeed wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:07 pm
Have a look at Bioracer. Their Vapor man pad is really cool. Firm while relatively thin. I recently switched to a Saevid Alien Carbon saddle which turned out to be some kind of "amplifier" for pad differences.
I find the Vapor the most comfortable, followed by the Elastic Interface in my club's bib (not sure what version that is, could be just a little bit more dense to be perfect) and Castelli Progretto X2.
I second this. I've tried more bib shorts than I'd like to admit to, and I find the Vapor pad to be magical. Extremely comfortable without the bulk. My second favorite is the newest Assos equipe pad. FYI, Bioracer make Stolen Goat clothing as well, so some of their shorts also have the Vapor pad (if you'd like some different styling).

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Thanks for the info on Bioracer. Looks like they are in Belgium so not sure about how shipping to U.S. would work.
I have the Castelli Progetto X2 pad in two pairs of bibs and only wore them a few times because that pad is so bad.
The surface is all wrinkled and rough and chafes me really bad. I removed the pad and the foam inside is a joke, no cushion whatsoever.
I received the Elastic Interface pad from Aerotech and it looks good, I am going to sew it into the Castelli bibs I have hardly used.
Had to order to the proper sewing machine needle to sew lycra.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Alex222 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:35 pm
Have got quite a few pairs a Pactimo bib shorts, including the 12 hour one mentioned above, and I do like them. But I have now bought two pairs of La Passione bibs which I prefer. They also utilise Elastic Interface chamois, but they use a different version which I personally find more confortable (I think Pactimo use the same chamois on their Strike bibs).
If you wait La Passione have discount deals on every so often too.
https://uk.lapassione.cc/products/minim ... orts-black
Do you know the difference between minimal bib shorts and PSN ?
The PSN is in a more discount at the moment.
https://us.lapassione.cc/collections/me ... horts-blue

nikospeed

by nikospeed

DeLuz wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:24 am
I have the Castelli Progetto X2 pad in two pairs of bibs and only wore them a few times because that pad is so bad.
The surface is all wrinkled and rough and chafes me really bad. I removed the pad and the foam inside is a joke, no cushion whatsoever.
I should have said I was referring to the new (grey/red) X2. Agree to your assessment on the previous version (expensive lesson learned for me on 2 Sanremo suits)

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

Personally I am most happy with Isadore Climbers Shorts. https://isadore.com/climbers-bib-shorts-men . Have 3 of them, rode 200+ km granfondos without any issues. The padding used is quite thin but dense and supportive and comfortable. Tried also Alternative shorts from their offer but they are not up to same level.

Alex222

by Alex222

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:03 am
Alex222 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:35 pm
Do you know the difference between minimal bib shorts and PSN ?
The PSN is in a more discount at the moment.
https://us.lapassione.cc/collections/me ... horts-blue
I only have the minimal version, but I think the pad is the same. I think material is different with the Minimal having a matt finish. But I like the low front style so have stuck to that.
Just picked up another of their Prestige jerseys as they're a great fit for a tall skinny build like me.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I ended up getting the Pactimo Summit Stratos "12-Hour" Bibs on sale.
According to their sizing guide I am an XS, also talked to somebody on the phone there and they also recommended XS.
I normally wear a mdium in European brands.
Turned out it was a bit too small, I could get them on and ride in them but just didn't feel right.
So I got a size Small to compare and it is much better.
Have only gone for one short in them but wow are they comfortable and fit a like second skin.
The pad really works well to releive pressure.
The materials and workmanship are top notch.
Decided to order a second pair while they are still on sale.

bilbobogeins

by bilbobogeins

My favorite pair of bibs I own are a Oakley Colorblock unfortunately now discontinued. They use the Bioracer pad very comfortable firm and thin. Otherwise I have a few pairs from various brands with the Elastic Interface pad and they are also good.

kode54

by kode54

Pactimo Sale on now. Up to 65% off for those looking...like the 12-hour bib shorts at $153.72
Swissiconic.com sells Giordana and discount. Right now, they have an additional 20% reduced prices for their Silverline bib shorts.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Cannoli

by Cannoli

DeLuz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 am
I ended up getting the Pactimo Summit Stratos "12-Hour" Bibs on sale.
According to their sizing guide I am an XS, also talked to somebody on the phone there and they also recommended XS.
I normally wear a mdium in European brands.
Turned out it was a bit too small, I could get them on and ride in them but just didn't feel right.
So I got a size Small to compare and it is much better.
Have only gone for one short in them but wow are they comfortable and fit a like second skin.
The pad really works well to releive pressure.
The materials and workmanship are top notch.
Decided to order a second pair while they are still on sale.
Excellent! So glad you like them. I always stock up on winter and summer bibs when they have their sales (which is often during the Fall and Winter months). No reason to pay full price.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

Voler shorts with the Comp HP or Orion pads

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zero7

by Zero7

Cannoli wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:50 pm
By far, the best chamois are made by Elastic Interface, an Italian brand that wholesales to cycle clothing manufacturers. After having tried many top brands on the market, a desperate google search for an endurance bib turned up a small Colorado based company called Pactimo. They use Elastic Interface chamois exclusively across their line, with the top chamois in their 12-hour bib.

https://www.pactimo.com/collections/the ... bs-for-men

I promise you that after riding with this bib, you will never buy another brand! Unfortunately, you just missed their 50% off sale that they run every November. However, they will likely have another early Spring sale soon with similar discounts.

Most of Pactimo's kit is of excellent quality. However I find that their gloves and shoe covers aren't feature rich enough, so I stick with Castelli in this area.

EDIT: This is the link to Elastic Interface. You can find other companies who use their chamois is buying from the US is an issue. With that said, Pactimo quality is excellent! I'm still riding on the first 12-hour bib I bought 4 seasons ago.

https://www.elasticinterface.com/
Do you have any experience with Pactimo Summit Strike or Summit Raptor bibs?
Also curious about the leg length of their bibs. I like them to be longer. That's one reason I like Sportful Total Comfort bibs.