Bib Shorts with Higher Density Pad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Received the La Passione bibs today.
The pad is definitely denser than the Pactimo bibs.
Also I noticed that the pad in the Pactimo bibs have a large gap in middle which seems like it could create some discomfort.
I got both XS and S and the XS actually fits me better, very snug but too much. So their size chart seems to be accurate.
The leg grippers seem to work really good. I always have a problem with the legs riding up being that I don't have big quads.
I will give these a try out tomoorow on the bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

backdoor wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:46 pm
nunokas wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:27 pm
Sportful total Comfort?
I do some bikepacking on a full carbon saddle and at the end of the day, my bum is the least of the problems with these bibs.
I bought a pair of these Sportful Total Comfort bibs this past year and they are super comfy. The pad is much wider than other manufaturers (I've read reviews commenting on a hippopotamus sized pad). The pad is dense under your tuchus while the edges of the pad are thin and dissapear into lycra as opposed to an abrupt change from the pad into the fabric. So the pad doesnt end between the thighs but bends and wraps around the legs which alliviates any chafing there. Kind of hard to explain but it works. Ive attached a pic for reference.

I've not yet owned Assos, Pactimo, Santini or Girodano so I can't really compare but the pad is advertised to have 18mm of cushion.

Sportful Total Comfort Bibs.jpg

Here is a listing of the Sportful pads - https://www.thecyclist.ca/pages/sportful-seat-pads
Same. I always used whatever my local club supplied us with. On consecutive weeks with more than 13-14 hrs volume I experience bruises or even cuts in the skin on the "soft parts".
This year I bought a Total Comfort from Sportful and it's much more comfortable on the "soft parts". It took me a few rides to get used to the chamois shape though, wasn't used to the feeling like explained previously. The bib material and construction is "tight", not so stretchy. I can ride on the nose of the saddle if I need to (many times on hard portions of bike races) and it still is comformtable with that thick chamois in the center.

Louis :)

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

TribesMan wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:27 am
If you are looking for high density pad, I think that you should look at DHB Aeron bib shorts that you can buy at Wiggle.
Those have by far densest pad I have ever tried. Much denser than anything from LaPassione.
This pad is also made by Elastic Interface, and it is called "Paris HP".
I had a 40km ride on a new bib short this morning made by a local group called Society Cycling. New company, very small, marketed as affordable cycling apparel. The shorts have an Elastic Interface pad and it looks like the Paris HP pad. It seemed really good - I could varely feel the saddle at all. Occasionally, it started to felt a bit firm, but I find I have to get out of the saddle periodically to get the blood flow going. The pad is quite thick, which may not be to everyone's taste. It's firm-ish, but with a bit of give. I generally like to give it a few weeks before I make a decision on whether I like the pad or not. The shorts cost AUD$90, which is very reasonable.

milanv

by milanv

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:45 pm
Elastic Interface supply pads for a lot of brands including Assos, La Passione, Gore, Pactimo, and a whole bunch of other brands, but they have a lot of differnt chamios and just because it has an EI chamios doesn't really mean anything. My favorite set of bibs has a EI chamios and my least favorite set of bibs has a EI chamois and the two chamios are nothing alike other than the logo stamped into them.

Our new club kit that's on order has a EI Chamios as well (Ascend Sportwear), whether or not it will be one I like is anyones guess.
POC, Specialized, Le Col, Decathlon,...

musiclover

by musiclover

Is La Passione PSN back to full price?

My story: didn't mind DHB top ones too much but wanted something a bit comfier. Bought ASSOS T Equipe and was happy with them (apart from grippers being too narrow), but they do not sell those any more. Do not want to go with Mille (to simple) and RS (too expensive).

Bought Castelli Aero 4 but will be returning those: the sizing chart is way off, L was too small (although wear L in all other brands and was below L on their size chart as per measurements). And do not like the design around groin area (tighter than overall fit as if they were for females).

Are Ale any good?..

Thanks
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

musiclover wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 am

Bought Castelli Aero 4 but will be returning those: the sizing chart is way off, L was too small (although wear L in all other brands and was below L on their size chart as per measurements). And do not like the design around groin area (tighter than overall fit as if they were for females).
I don't know why Castelli's top pad/chamois design does not deal with the male anatomy better. I don't necessarily need "kuku penthouse" level coddling, but even just a bit more material or a "modesty panel" would be ok. Other than than one omission, I think the current Castelli Premio Black bibs are the best I've ever had from a performance/comfort point of view. And the chamois seems both firmer and better protected (sewn all the way around) than I recall the Aero 4 ever being.

I've not had Ale, but their chamois/pad design look very similar to Giordana (which Ale used to manufacture, I believe). I do have Girodana bibs -- nice shorts, good quality, but the chamois is not particularly dense (somewhere between the Assos RS S9 and the Cento Evo in thickness and density).

musiclover

by musiclover

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:26 pm
musiclover wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 am

I don't know why Castelli's top pad/chamois design does not deal with the male anatomy better. I don't necessarily need "kuku penthouse" level coddling, but even just a bit more material or a "modesty panel" would be ok. Other than than one omission, I think the current Castelli Premio Black bibs are the best I've ever had from a performance/comfort point of view. And the chamois seems both firmer and better protected (sewn all the way around) than I recall the Aero 4 ever being.

I've not had Ale, but their chamois/pad design look very similar to Giordana (which Ale used to manufacture, I believe). I do have Girodana bibs -- nice shorts, good quality, but the chamois is not particularly dense (somewhere between the Assos RS S9 and the Cento Evo in thickness and density).
Thanks, I could not found Castelli Premio Black that easily. What would you (or anyone else) say about ASSOS Mille GT vs Rapha Core Cargo?

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

musiclover wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:51 am

Thanks, I could not found Castelli Premio Black that easily. What would you (or anyone else) say about ASSOS Mille GT vs Rapha Core Cargo?
Sorry, I've no experience with the current Assos Mille GT or with any Rapha products at all (!). My experience with prior versions of the Assos Mille line would put the chamois/pad somewhere between the RS S9 and my Cento Evo chamois/pad -- pretty similar to the Giordana Cirro in thickness and density, but that is a couple of generations ago, and I can't say they are similar now.

I guess it is a bit surprising I've never bought any Rapha gear; looking back, I've nothing against the brand, and have looked closely at various of their offerings, but when it comes time to click "buy," I've just not done it.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The latest Mille from Assos, that "Mille GTS", has a pad that is very thick (15mm) and dense. A couple of things to note, the pad is very wide and is positioned for a more upright position on the bike. I believe Assos has gone too far in this regard and has the pad too far up the back. When you get in an aero position there is essentially no padding under your taint. Still I like the short and have a few pairs that I am always happy to wear. I am 183cm, 76kg and have both M and L. They both fit although the first time putting on the M had me thinking they were too small but they gave just enough and are very good though very compressive. The L does offer a bit more room for my bits while still hugging the rest of me. Like all Assos pads, they lose some of their initial firmess and elasticisty after a few rides.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

So I have been riding in the La Passine PSN bibs for awhile so here is a short review comparing them to Pactimo Summit Statos:

They are less expensive, $100 vs $160 when both are on sale.

They are plain looking compared to Pactimo but well made.

The material is stiffer and more compressive, Pactimo feels lighter and stretchier.

Leg grippers are the best I have used. Also the fit is very snug (size XS) so they stay in place and never need adjusting.
I don't have big quads and I find with most shorts the legs ride up over time and I have to pull them back down periodically.
The Pactimo have this problem also but not so bad, I might need to need to size down in them.

The pad is indeed high denisty but somewhat thinner. The Pactimo pad is thicker and plusher.
In reality I am not sure which one works better, they both are good.
It seems over time the pad in the PSN is feeling better.

These are both great bib shorts but at this point in time I am giving the edge to La Passione because of the value, legs stay in place and I think the pad may work a bit better. Also La Passione comes in colors if that matters, I got grey. I will never buy big names like Castelli, Assos or Giordana again.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

So I have been riding in the La Passine PSN bibs for awhile so here is a short review comparing them to Pactimo Summit Statos:

They are less expensive, $100 vs $160 when both are on sale.

They are plain looking compared to Pactimo but well made.

The material is stiffer and more compressive, Pactimo feels lighter and stretchier.
The Pactimo material seems more high tech, is very comfortable and you barely feels it.

Leg grippers are the best I have used. Also the fit is very snug (size XS) so they stay in place and never need adjusting.
I don't have big quads and I find with most shorts the legs ride up over time and I have to pull them back down periodically.
The Pactimo have this problem also but not so bad, I might need to need to size down in them.

The pad is indeed high denisty but somewhat thinner. The Pactimo pad is thicker and plusher.
In reality I am not sure which one works better, they both are good.
It seems over time the pad in the PSN is feeling better.

These are both great bib shorts but at this point in time I am giving the edge to La Passione because of the value, legs stay in place and I think the pad may work a bit better. Also La Passione comes in colors if that matters, I got grey. I will never buy big names like Castelli, Assos or Giordana again.

musiclover

by musiclover

Could someone please announce here when Passione will be on sale again? Thanks

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

The only issue I'm now finding with the La Passione PSN bib is that the pad seems to retain too much moisture, then starts kind of squirming or moving against my saddle after an hour or so.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

musiclover

by musiclover

mogwaiboi wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:03 am
The only issue I'm now finding with the La Passione PSN bib is that the pad seems to retain too much moisture, then starts kind of squirming or moving against my saddle after an hour or so.
Well, this is not very good. Any better alternatives?

DeLuz

by DeLuz

mogwaiboi wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:03 am
I have not noticed this issue but I am not a heavy sweater and it has been unusually cool here this summer, never got into the 80's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com