Farsports Feder Disc Carbon-Ti hub creak issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Visqu

by Visqu

ChiZ01 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:46 pm
Visqu wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:59 am

Choosing DT Swiss hubs doesn't put you in heaven.
I'd rather have a hub with user-adjustable preload than something that relies on manufacturing tolerances to get the preload right.

I've had two high end DT hubs (240s Dicut and 180 EXP) that have had bearing issues straight from the factory, too much preload straight out of the box and the ceramic bearings were toast due to pitted bearing races. The races were probably damaged during assembly when the bearings are whacked into place and if tolerances are slightly amiss, you might accidentally damage the bearings. A bearing press is the proper tool, not a hammer and a dovel.
the end caps are press-fit so the only preload you gonna get is from the QR or thru-axle on the bike, sounds more like they used a bad batch of bearings
Well, no. Preload is built into the hub shell and axle design and is not really influenced by clamping down qr or tightening down the thru axle.

Please review the hub design and maybe watch some DT service videos to get a hang of how it's supposed to work.

End caps are slip-fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mike1

by Mike1

Just an update.

So new freehub has arrived from Carbon-Ti and have done some testing on it now. The creaking issue has changed quite a bit.
Now instead of only occurring after riding for a bit and generally occurring after climbing for 5-10 minutes, it now seems to be occurring as soon as you start riding and generally goes away after a while. It now doesn't seem to occur under power when climbing, but will sometimes happen when cruising or riding again after stopping for a bit.

The creak seems to be not quite as loud now.

Overall it's better, but still disappointed with these Carbon-Ti hubs because of this.
Factor Ostro VAM - 6.67kg
Open U.P w/ Ekar - 7.2kg
Canyon Ultimate EVO Disc - 6.17kg (retired)

Mike1

by Mike1

Just did a 1.5hr climb today and it actually creaked quite loud a few times on and off.

I actually just built up a gravel bike with another set of Farsports wheels, the gravel version with Carbon-Ti hubs and they're creaking even worse than my first set of wheels.

I ordered the gravel set before I knew how bad the first hub was, but man I'm regretting it now.
Factor Ostro VAM - 6.67kg
Open U.P w/ Ekar - 7.2kg
Canyon Ultimate EVO Disc - 6.17kg (retired)

carbonazza

by carbonazza

I have carbon Ti X-Hubs

When installing them on my Canyon Ultimate CF-SLX, there was an interference with the frame. When tightening, the cassette was touching the frame.

I contacted Carbon-Ti, who are really helpful, and sent me some shims that solved the issue.
Then found one of the bearing wasn't smooth, and replaced it. Then I saw the cassette was more inboard, I didn't need the shims anymore. So probably the original bearing wasn't correctly put.

Then two pawls jumped out, and their springs broke in pieces inside the freehub. Bought a pawl kit, mounted them and fine so far.

Finally, it started to creak kind of randomly, under load. Started to leave with it, until it became almost constant when climbing.

I dismounted the hub. Greased. Remounted and for a few months now, it works perfectly.
The front hub always worked fine.

All this in about 10,000km.
I'm happy now, love the sound and the weight, but what a pain.

All my other wheels are with DT-240, which are more like a mount-and-forget experience

iamraymond

by iamraymond

carbonazza wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:09 am
I have carbon Ti X-Hubs
@carbonazza, were your wheels also built up by Farsports?

My experience with the carbon Ti hubs has been similar. If you want something that just works all the time with no maintenance or fuss, just go with the DT Swiss hubs. The Carbon Ti hubs build up to a stiffer (i.e. no rotor rub) and lighter wheel when compared to a DT Swiss 240 hub, but it comes with a cost.

Even after replacing my rear hub body, I still get the occasional creaking under load. The creaking will stop after I freewheel, but it won't go away fully until I clean and grease the internals with some Slick Honey. Maintenance is very straightforward and it's almost as easy as the DT Swiss 240 hubs (except that you need some basic hand tools).

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I tried to order the Feder wheels with the RD230 Hubs, but they only have the Ceramic Speed Versions (for a $440 upcharge!), the normal versions are not due to March, in case anyone is interested in getting them.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

iamraymond wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:14 am
@carbonazza, were your wheels also built up by Farsports?
They came from LightBicycle.

Erwin

by Erwin

I have this annoying creaking too. Farsports Feder, Carbon-Ti X-Hub 6-Bolt. First 3000km were flawless, now I couldn't get them silent again. I also have the .4 shim installed from beginning. Will try some other grease tomorrow, but this is really not how it should be. New tricks or infos how I could solve this?

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Erwin wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:27 am
I have this annoying creaking too. Farsports Feder, Carbon-Ti X-Hub 6-Bolt. First 3000km were flawless, now I couldn't get them silent again. I also have the .4 shim installed from beginning. Will try some other grease tomorrow, but this is really not how it should be. New tricks or infos how I could solve this?
I have the same hub and rims. Whenever they start creaking, usually after a long sustained climb, I know they are in need of service.

Pull off the freehub body, clean thoroughly, grease the ratchets (I use slick honey), and put some light oil (I use Shimano chain oil) on the shim. Try not to get grease on the shim.

Then reassemble everything and put some copper paste on the threads of the axle otherwise it’ll be impossible to remove after.

Good luck!

overdriven98

by overdriven98

I suppect there's something to do with the brunch that send to china factory

I bought 4 rear hub from R2 over the years, nope of them having any issue at all, if you must know, I lace all the wheel myself, don't think there's anything to do with it though

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Ugh… my new Farsport Feders with the Carbon Ti hubs starting creeking pretty loud today in the mountains.

:(
:beerchug:

Matt62

by Matt62

My RD230 hubs (on Feder 45mm) started creaking during a climbing holiday in the alps - lots of climbing and then the Etap. My LBS says the Edco mono lock cassette is chewing up the soft alloy of the freehub shell. Anyone else had this?

Matt62

by Matt62

My RD230 hubs (on Feder 45mm) started creaking during a climbing holiday in the alps - lots of climbing and then the Etap. My LBS says the Edco mono lock cassette is chewing up the soft alloy of the freehub shell. Anyone else had this?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Mike1 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:50 am
Hi guys, I recently purchased 2 sets of Farsports Feder Disc wheels with the Carbon-Ti hubs.
Both wheelsets have a creaking sound coming from the rear hub.
1 wheelset only occasionally creaks, generally only after about 10-15 minutes of hard climbing.
The other wheelset has been really bad since day 1.
Here's a video of the creaking sound -
https://youtu.be/pw5s2bZOkPs
I am now a victim of the same problem. Same as in the video, started with non-drive side downstroke, but now both sides every pedal stroke. Did a full service, made sure everything was nice and tight, and problem was worse! That made me suspect I had the hub too tight. So I backed off the pre-load just a bit beyond the specified quarter turn. A bit less torque on the thru-axles also. Heading out soon to test.

The suggestion in this thread that had me worried is if the cassette is too tight for this hub. What I do know about Carbon Ti cassette bodies, is if the cassette is not very tight, the (Shimano) cassette will cut through the splines in one ride.

Anybody definitively find the cause of this issue and solve the problem
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Seems the problem is due to play between the inner races of the free hub cartridge bearings and the axle.

See this for a full explanation: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=175071
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.