Repair help: scuffed carbon rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Edmondo

by Edmondo

Hi

New to the forum but have relied on WW forum responses through Google over the years. Decided to jump in because I have a problem and need some advice.

Currently have DT Swiss Dicut 1400 disc wheels. Had a flat yesterday and struggled to get the tyre off - usually it’s been easy - in the process I managed to scuff the wheel with the tyre lever.

There’s now some white showing through and I was wondering how I can fix this, maybe cover it with some black paint or buff it over. Does anyone have any experience here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Black marker?

Edmondo

by Edmondo

alcatraz wrote:Black marker?
Could be what I resort to. Wanted to check it out with someone who may have some experience. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hannawald

by hannawald

very gentle sand paper? Like 2000 grit and 2K clear coat..

tristn

by tristn

dremmel with a soft buffing/polishing attachment – softer and more efficient than sand paper

ms6073

by ms6073

Haven't tried it on our wheels, but how about trying the Mr. Clean Magic Erraser (goes by a slightly different name in Europe) as one worked wonders cleaning up our CamelBak ICE water bottles this morning?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

AJS914

by AJS914

Edmondo wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:15 am
There’s now some white showing through and I was wondering how I can fix this, maybe cover it with some black paint or buff it over. Does anyone have any experience here?
There should be nothing in the construction of a carbon rim where white would show through. I'd suspect that this is on the surface - a scratch in the clear coat. You should be able to polish it off like you'd polish car paint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I used these 3M abrasive pads to scruff clearcoated/gloss surfaces for a matte look, they will be pretty gentle for you to try it on the rims.

My own rims were scruffed from getting caught in an extra wide road cover, haven't done anything to them as yet. Buffing it a little then touching up with black marker will probably be the way to go. Image