Cannondale SuperSix Evo Headset Spacer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aplcr0331

by aplcr0331

I have a 2016/2019 SSE. I purchased the frameset off of FB Group earlier this year when I lived in the UK. The guy listed the bike as a 2019. But he gave me the little manual and that says 2016. ??

It was a little bit of a shifty sale, so I'm not sure which one I have.

Anyway, it might not make much of a difference but I'm trying to find a 20mm headset spacer to replace the 25mm one I have now. My current one is called "Tange Seiki". I checked their website and they seem to sell a "system" but I've got no idea how to tell which one I need particularly since I'm not sure what year bike I have.

https://imgur.com/a/NKkMYkh

I've dicked up headsets before in the past so I want to make sure I get this right. Can I just buy that one top piece or should I be looking for the whole "system"? I found something on one of the Cannondale websites that sells parts but the product numbers actually never mention 2019 or 2016 specifically and always give a range of years.

Any help would be appreciated!

E34

by E34

I can't help you with the spacer but I recently bought a 2018 SuperSix Evo frameset and it came with a 2016 owners manual, so it must be a thing. I suppose the frameset didn't exactly change between 2016 and the new dropped seatstay version in 2019/20.

I'll check my headset spacer later on for size.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aplcr0331

by aplcr0331

Thanks; I actually called Cannondale and confirmed it's a 2019 model.

You're right nothing much changed until 2020.

I'll maybe buy a few I see and try them out.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Under the top cap the 25mm thing there should be a 5mm thick alloy cap. If you add 15mm of any spacer above this you have 20mm. Otherwise for tapered carbon ones just search ebay but you may need to modify them to fit.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aplcr0331

by aplcr0331

NiFTY wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:55 am
Under the top cap the 25mm thing there should be a 5mm thick alloy cap. If you add 15mm of any spacer above this you have 20mm. Otherwise for tapered carbon ones just search ebay but you may need to modify them to fit.
Ok thanks. I actually have a spacer that's 20mm from my Pro Vibe stem, but not sure if it'll fit.

I'll keep poking around.

Appreciate it.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

Let us know how you go. Just be sure NOT to run spacers above a stem on cannondales. It voids warranty if you do.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

michael432000

by michael432000

“Just be sure NOT to run spacers above a stem on cannondales.”

I assume the tiny lip on the top cap locating directly on the stem rather than a spacer is enough to stop any compression problems? The four rings/vanes on the underside of the top cap seem too small in diameter to assist in anything as it’s loose inside the steerer?

I just bought a lovely 2013 SupeSsix EVO Hi-Mod SRAM Red (52cm) in really nice condition. Above the curved Cannondale spacer it had another 25mm of spacers underneath the stem. The expansion plug was actually positioned incorrectly below the lower clamp bolt of the Bontrager stem that has 2 closely located bolts but doesn’t seem to have done any harm.

So I want a new stem and I want it located directly on top of the standard curved spacer but I would like to have 10mm of spacers above the stem (with 15mm trimmed off the steerer) so that I have the option to raise the stem later if needed. Is there a workaround? Different expansion plug? Or just be careful not to overtighten the stem bolts and carry on regardless? I’ll be saving plenty of weight with a new lightweight saddle and seat-post so not bothered about adding a few grams on something as important as the steerer if I have to.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com