Are Garmin Computers garbage?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cannoli wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:33 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:29 pm
I hit the start/stop button, hit “Save Ride,” confirm, and then turn off my Garmin. Not quite math puzzle level.
Unless you have Live Track running on your paired phone and Live Track decides NOT to stop automatically, even though the ride was stopped and saved. In this case, you have to remember to manually stop LiveTrack otherwise your ride will never upload to Garmin. Additionally, if you don't have a strong cellular signal when completing a ride (2+ bars), it won't upload to Garmin most of the time, which in turn, won't upload to Strava (if you're into that sort of thing). My experience has shown me that every time Garmin updates their head unit software OR Garmin Connect, I can expect some sort of issue on my next ride.

The latest one was both my 530 and my wife's 530 locking up mid-ride as soon as a climb was completed. The screen would change from the climb to the elevation profile and would lock up, and I mean a hard lock. I would have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to get the unit to reboot. It happened every time for both of us prior to the most recent software upgrade. Like I said, they bring a new issue with every upgrade. Go Garmin...
I don’t have that issue with Live Track.

I did have the upload issue with my Wahoo. It would transfer the ride to the phone, but uploading to Strava or Dropbox would fail with spotty service. I don’t consider this the fault of the computer. That’s the data connection’s fault.

Just seems like most of these complaints are obscure issues or external issues being ascribed to the computers themselves.

In contrast, the Wahoo transceiver power issue and bottom shielding issue is very real. I dare any of you to mount a Fly12 or Hero 7/8/9 directly underneath a Bolt and go ride up some curvy mountain roads. Or just race 60 people in a crit and go through all their Strava activities. It’s so easy to point out all the Elemnt+GoPro users because their laps are all over the map.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Cannoli

by Cannoli

MikeD wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:12 pm
Cannoli wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:29 pm
I hit the start/stop button, hit “Save Ride,” confirm, and then turn off my Garmin. Not quite math puzzle level.
Unless you have Live Track running on your paired phone and Live Track decides NOT to stop automatically, even though the ride was stopped and saved. In this case, you have to remember to manually stop LiveTrack otherwise your ride will never upload to Garmin. Additionally, if you don't have a strong cellular signal when completing a ride (2+ bars), it won't upload to Garmin most of the time, which in turn, won't upload to Strava (if you're into that sort of thing). My experience has shown me that every time Garmin updates their head unit software OR Garmin Connect, I can expect some sort of issue on my next ride.

The latest one was both my 530 and my wife's 530 locking up mid-ride as soon as a climb was completed. The screen would change from the climb to the elevation profile and would lock up, and I mean a hard lock. I would have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to get the unit to reboot. It happened every time for both of us prior to the most recent software upgrade. Like I said, they bring a new issue with every upgrade. Go Garmin...
You might have file corruption issues. Plug it into a PC and do a file system check and repair. Also, when you have too many rides stored on the Garmin and it starts running out of memory, it can run slow, take long to boot up, and lock up.
Yep. Been through that troubleshooting with Garmin for previous issues. The lock up issue was baked into their 530 update around the August 2020 time frame and fixed with the latest update. The LiveTrack issues are on the Garmin Connect side, on the smart phone. It took a few updates to resolve that issue. Again, this isn't a one-off thing. It was happening to both my setup and my wife's setup, to include the constant Varia and Garmin Speed sensor drop-outs.

When it all works, it's brilliant! When it doesn't, it's an epic fail.

jlok

by jlok

The Garmin Edge 830 7.00 software has just been released.
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitnes ... -available
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

tleo

by tleo

jlok wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:20 am
Thanks. But I'm sticking with whatever version is currently on my 830. Everything that I want to work currently works and it is very stable :lol:

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Used a 520 for a few years and then switched to Elemnt Bolt just for the aero shape and LE pink color. Had it just over 2 years now. Like the Wahoo better. Does everything with a little less finesse and like Sram shifting, I am a fan of that. Does not have navigation (which I don't care about) but has fields that are easier to read in blocky, simple font, battery lasts longer, and has hit the ground more than a few times with no cosmetic damage. Just works for me. Downloads effortlessly to strava, doesn't crash, or freeze and is just more to my liking. The 520 had some bugs, and was not totally reliable but I suppose I was happy with it then.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

jlok

by jlok

tleo wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:01 am
jlok wrote:
Thanks. But I'm sticking with whatever version is currently on my 830. Everything that I want to work currently works and it is very stable :lol:
Yeah, stable Garmin software is hard to come by and only found after 1 or 2 years after product release ;).
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

haze513

by haze513

I'm probably one of the lucky ones, my 520 is just shy of 5 years old and I've not had any real trouble with it. Sure I get a few more 'low battery' messages these days but put that down to its age, even so it seems to hang on for ages afterwards.

I bought it to replace the old 500, that was about 3 years old and no bother either...only had the 520 for the wireless uploads as I didn't want to have take the laptop whenever I travelled.

I'd buy Garmin again but would also consider the Wahoo models for a change as much as anything.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My 520 would throw up very early low battery warnings after only two years of use, but honestly I have never run the battery until depletion and have heard of it being a false alarm. I do know that absolutely nothing touches the Edge x30 [Plus] devices in terms of battery life. The 1030's battery life was already good, and then they improved it again with newer batteries and more efficient processors. IMO the 530/830/1030 Plus displays are class leading as well, though yes the touchscreens are still "meh." I especially hate trying to swipe between screens on my 830 or doing anything with gloves on.

GS100

by GS100

I have a love hate with mine but there's simply nothing else to match the functionality so for now I'll sticking with my 820.

Uploading activities was always hit and miss for me until recently now it works instantly. Maybe a software update has solved this. (I do have a Garmin vivoactive hr which is flawless though).

Another gripe is re-routing on the fly when you go off course. It never worked that well with the 800 either. Perhaps the screen's too small to follow that effectively in any case.

Otherwise, turn by turn nav is good, performance metrics / analytics on Garmin connect are good (strava charges for similar), different profiles for activities/ bikes. I've never lost an activity. I like the 3rd party apps like rain and wind - a live wind direction arrow in one of the fields is great.

And the units themselves are well made.

Wahoo or whatever just don't have the same features.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

robbosmans

by robbosmans

As someone who currently studies user experience, the Garmin software is a complete mess, Wahoo is the least annoying gps I have found so far.

What Garmin needs is a good new fresh software and interface and focus on a cycling computer, then they would simply destroy the competition.

(And don’t make stupid decisions to put a glossy screen on an outdoor device.)

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Typical duality of the software business. Some (most) prioritize breadth of features at the expense of stability and reliability; some focus on doing the basic well but lack novel features. Personally, I'd take the latter any day -- I'm no longer young enough to have patience with buggy software (I've dealt with that for decades using Windows PCs). We want to be riding bikes after all, not troubleshooting crappy software.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I'd love to have the option of using Wahoo, but the radio issue is 100% a dealbreaker.

You won't find videos of Garmins doing this, it doesn't happen. When I attempted to contact Wahoo, they completely ignored my support ticket because it's obviously not something they can fix in software. They haven't bothered to add additional shielding to their computers either.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 am
I'd love to have the option of using Wahoo, but the radio issue is 100% a dealbreaker.

You won't find videos of Garmins doing this, it doesn't happen. When I attempted to contact Wahoo, they completely ignored my support ticket because it's obviously not something they can fix in software. They haven't bothered to add additional shielding to their computers either.
Perhaps the Wahoo case can be opened and a layer of aluminum foil backed with clear packaging tape (towards the PCB) can be applied as a shield? I'm not sure where the transceiver is located in the Wahoo, but this may be an option prior to stashing it in a kitchen cupboard out of frustration. I've used the aluminum foil shielding trick in other electronic applications with good success.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Sounds an easy fix for an electronics store.

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

AJS914

by AJS914

jlok wrote:

I'm also being hounded by my 530 to upgrade. I'm going to wait and see on 7.00. Anyone upgrade?