Are Garmin Computers garbage?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

izzo

by izzo

1+ for Garmin EDGE 500. It works and works,..and works for years now and the battery still holds >10h and everything works,...also sensors for CAD/HEART without a single problem,...just exchange a battery every 3 years or so :).
Except automatic uploading to Strava, but thats probably Strava/Garmin connect issue,..manual uploading works excelent. Will only replace with 130 or 530 unit or something new from Garmin.....

by Weenie

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

My Garmin 530 never worked properly. After countless resets on the Chatline with Garmin and 2 visits to the Garmin tent at different races, they gave up and told me to send it back. But didn´t want to be without a head unit for 4+ weeks, so I just lived with it (no phone connection, amongst other things).
Recently bought a Wahoo Element Bolt, and it is a superior unit, I just need time to get used to it.
Garmin needs to do something really tempting to get me back....

req110

by req110

I had ELEMNT and wanted to buy something fancy, so i sold that and bought Edge 830... Hoooog mistake. Now i am back on Elemnt again.

- even during first setup the system was glitchy and i had to bounce BT connection between phone and edge couple time to make it communicate

- touchscreen works bad, it's sensitivity is tricky, even more with gloves (even the ones which support phones) it was ok for like 50 minutes of riding, but then it was completely unresponsive, so i had to take off the glove, touch it - it worked, i take the glove on again - it was working now > strange

- my unit was not measuring vo2max, altough everything setup properly, including hrm + PM, i was trying to troubleshoot that with their support, who only provided useless advices to reboot or reset to factory

- it was throwing "radar disconnected" messages with varia radar, altough the connection was fine and radar was working. the varia radar was working like charm with ELEMNT. funny.

- radar beeps only when car is behind you, but it doesn't beep when is gone to calm you down

- missing LED, which are useful on ELEMNT, you see your zones, or it's blinking when car is behind you (red), or when is gone (green)

- it restarted twice during month during ride

- navigation is useless, when i ride road bike, it sends me to gravel, when i ride MTB, it keeps me on tarmacs, i have tried that on my favourite trail segment, edge took me through street instead... and i have it set properly in profiles

- climbpro and trailforks are PITA to work with unless you want play with your computer couple minutes

- radar function on garmin is consuming real-estate and making some datafields unreadable as it puts overlay on top of them, unlike in ELEMENT where you have it nicely shrinked a bit, with LEDs as well.

- map is hard to read, the zoom in/out function is PITA on touchscreen, compared to ELEMNT

- display is collecting fingerprints extremely easy, but if you wipe it with your glove softly during race, you gonna scratch it.

- garmin connect is funny application with most user unfriendly interface i have ever seen

- my GF had vivoactive 4s, it was nighmare too, for example with synchronizing her workouts/ride, she had to bounce BT connection couple times to push data from watches to phone > strava etc

- i don't trust them, they paid 10M USD ransom to hackers

Cannoli

by Cannoli

req110 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:56 pm

- it was throwing "radar disconnected" messages with varia radar, altough the connection was fine and radar was working. the varia radar was working like charm with ELEMNT. funny.

I get this all the time on with two different Varia 510 radars and two different Edge 530's. This is a common problem based on the number of threads on the Garmin forums. Real PITA, especially when you're relying on it to work in busy areas.

Funny thing, I get the same error in the middle of farm land without a vehicle around. Go Garmin... :roll:

ms6073

by ms6073

DeLuz wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:40 pm
I have an Edge 500 that keeps freezing on startup. The problem is fixed by connection to a PC and deleting the NewFiles folder.
Was there actually anything in the NewFiles folder? Also, do you delete old activity files once they have been uploaded or have these files just accumulated which would result in the device running our of storage space?
I started with the Edge 500 and when one of the buttons stopped working, swapped to the Edge 520 which I used until the battery life decreased to less than half, then got the Edge 1030, which I have customized with 3rd party datafields that as an 'older' cyclist, make it easier to see the numbers. :back2topic:
- Michael

ms6073

by ms6073

Cannoli wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 pm
Funny thing, I get the same error in the middle of farm land without a vehicle around. Go Garmin... :roll:
Damn microwaves and satelite lazers! :beerchug:
- Michael

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Garmin always seems to have issues on new products and slow software updates. I've been very fortunate to have little to no issues with all the ones I've purchased [705,800,810,820, and 830]. I had my first crash with my 830 on Zwift last night. It saved the file so Golden Cheetah was able to use it, but Garmin Connect says it's not good.

I've never liked the navigation feature and the few times I have, I turned it off. I blame myself for not knowing what I'm doing. Certainly not user friendly for me. Fortunately, I usually know where I'm going and know how to get back.

MikeD

by MikeD

I like my refurbished 810. I have a 510 that works well also. Garmin changed the user interface on the newer models. I tried a friend's for a little bit and it wasn't intuitive to me. My 810 is good enough for me.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The 530/830 are better than the 520 era stuff. The software can do a lot more. Usability is a dumpster fire. "Solving a rubix cube," stated earlier, describes the sequence to end a ride. You get to do this at the end of every ride too.

The only reason these are still in play is because the 500 was the go to for so long. The Wahoo wins because it works despite the lack of bells/whistles. Someone will come out with a long battery life, modern interface like Hammerhead is trying to do.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I hit the start/stop button, hit “Save Ride,” confirm, and then turn off my Garmin. Not quite math puzzle level.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

I have an 810 that I have been using since 2015. Sometimes it takes time to upload things and occasional crashes but other than those it works perfectly fine. I can't find any reason to upgrade or buy another brand.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Started with a 500 with little to no problems and then give it to the wife when I got bored of it but it still worked fine. Went to the 510 with very little issues on it and got bored with it but still have it and just use it for runs, weight training and also rollers. Next was the 530 which I am currently using with little to no issues. Every once in awhile it doesnt upload so I either go to history and select the ride and reload it or power it off and back on again and it usually reloads. The battery life on the 530 has been much better than all the others I have owned in the past and with all the others I always delete old files so it doesnt bog down the OS. My wife has a 520 now and has issues with it all the time as it drops the radar during rides, wont load rides once saved unless she does it manually. She has had other issues as well but refuses to call Garmin on it so whatever.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Cannoli

by Cannoli

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:29 pm
I hit the start/stop button, hit “Save Ride,” confirm, and then turn off my Garmin. Not quite math puzzle level.
Unless you have Live Track running on your paired phone and Live Track decides NOT to stop automatically, even though the ride was stopped and saved. In this case, you have to remember to manually stop LiveTrack otherwise your ride will never upload to Garmin. Additionally, if you don't have a strong cellular signal when completing a ride (2+ bars), it won't upload to Garmin most of the time, which in turn, won't upload to Strava (if you're into that sort of thing). My experience has shown me that every time Garmin updates their head unit software OR Garmin Connect, I can expect some sort of issue on my next ride.

The latest one was both my 530 and my wife's 530 locking up mid-ride as soon as a climb was completed. The screen would change from the climb to the elevation profile and would lock up, and I mean a hard lock. I would have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to get the unit to reboot. It happened every time for both of us prior to the most recent software upgrade. Like I said, they bring a new issue with every upgrade. Go Garmin...

MikeD

by MikeD

Cannoli wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:29 pm
Unless you have Live Track running on your paired phone and Live Track decides NOT to stop automatically, even though the ride was stopped and saved. In this case, you have to remember to manually stop LiveTrack otherwise your ride will never upload to Garmin. Additionally, if you don't have a strong cellular signal when completing a ride (2+ bars), it won't upload to Garmin most of the time, which in turn, won't upload to Strava (if you're into that sort of thing). My experience has shown me that every time Garmin updates their head unit software OR Garmin Connect, I can expect some sort of issue on my next ride.

The latest one was both my 530 and my wife's 530 locking up mid-ride as soon as a climb was completed. The screen would change from the climb to the elevation profile and would lock up, and I mean a hard lock. I would have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to get the unit to reboot. It happened every time for both of us prior to the most recent software upgrade. Like I said, they bring a new issue with every upgrade. Go Garmin...
You might have file corruption issues. Plug it into a PC and do a file system check and repair. Also, when you have too many rides stored on the Garmin and it starts running out of memory, it can run slow, take long to boot up, and lock up.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

I've had both Wahoo and Garmin, both have plus and minus, both have worked and also failed a different times with different issues.... my perfect solution would be a combination of both...

For me Wahoo has stagnated the headunit game...
Garmin is a machine, headunits are probably a really really small part of their business..

by Weenie