New aero handlebar, Bontrager RSL?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Visqu

by Visqu

LewisK wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:49 am
Is the 175g for your superergo bars the verified weight, or is that from the manufacture? That would put the 380mm offering sub 170g.
Sorry for the slight thread de-rail, but I'm after a lightweight pair of narrow bars.
Thanks
It's the actual weight :thumbup:
Attachments
20200604_164123.jpg

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Question about Bontrager XXX VR-CF Aero bar:
1) Does it have enough clamping area for clip on aero bar?
2) Does the long reach interfere your wrist in drop?

Looking for something with
1) flat top.
2) longer reach (90mm+) for more wrist and forearm support in aero hood position. -> Thus, it must be real reach from behind the hood. Bar that sweep forward although technically have longer reach doesn't count because it doesn't provide more support for wrist and forearm.
3) And hopefully, leave some space to fit clip on aero bar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:49 am
What can I answer for you? The reach is *almost* 20mm more than that of my 80mm bars, so the truth might be between 93mm and 100mm.
One very interesting bit is, that the bar is surprisingly deep section. Apparently it doesn't test so fast, but it sure looks very fast.
A question about the Aerofly II vs the Bontrager Aeolus. I know the reach of the Bontraager is a good deal longer. But does it actually change the reach that much in the hoods? Here's my thought. The reach is measured to the farthest point on thee bend. But the brake levers are mounted up a little higher, which means a litttle back of thee measured reach. So my question is how much do the two bars differ in the hoods? Is it still about 20mm? I understand the same thing would happen on the Aerofly, just trying to gauge how much longer the effective reach actually is. Because I'd definitely need to downsize the stem on the Bontrager.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yes you would need a 2cm shorter stem to get the same effective reach

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The bars have a legit 100mm reach. Some literature states 93mm, but according to my tape measure it's closer to 100mm.

ch00bzs

by ch00bzs

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:12 am
The bars have a legit 100mm reach. Some literature states 93mm, but according to my tape measure it's closer to 100mm.
so confirmed closer to 100m right.
because on the aeolus RSL box it shows that the reach is 93mm

plainey

by plainey

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but after reading to the end I'm still confused.
Like the OP, I'm trying to determine the actual reach so I can know what stem length to order.
Does anyone have a definitive conclusion of the reach on these - whether it's 100mm or 93mm?

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

I have the 40x100mm bar, can confirm it's 100mm from the inner edge of the top closest to the bike prior to bending to the center of the drops. If you measure from the center of the tops rather than the edge of the tops it's closer to 95, so that may be the cause of discrepancy. Also interesting to note that from center of the centercap to the inner edge of the tops is 90mm, but to the center of the tops is 110mm.

Hard to tell from the perspective of the photo, but the edge of the measure is at the inner edge of the tops

I have about 300km on these bars now: they're extremely stiff. Every bit of road translates through them; flex is nonexistent. My hypothenar feels sore after more than 120km on a single ride whilst wearing slightly padded globes, but other than that they are tollerable. The cable routing is phenomenally easy compared to most internally routed bars, and works out perfectly for my TMR that has a centerline brake cable for the front.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:04 pm
I have the 40x100mm bar
Finally I see someone using rim brakes. Is your shifting mechanical too? Is there room in there for both brake and mechanical? I wonder if it can work with no compromise/cable friction...

Thanks

plainey

by plainey

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
I have the 40x100mm bar, can confirm it's 100mm from the inner edge of the top closest to the bike prior to bending to the center of the drops. If you measure from the center of the tops rather than the edge of the tops it's closer to 95, so that may be the cause of discrepancy. Also interesting to note that from center of the centercap to the inner edge of the tops is 90mm, but to the center of the tops is 110mm.

Hard to tell from the perspective of the photo, but the edge of the measure is at the inner edge of the tops

I have about 300km on these bars now: they're extremely stiff. Every bit of road translates through them; flex is nonexistent. My hypothenar feels sore after more than 120km on a single ride whilst wearing slightly padded globes, but other than that they are tollerable. The cable routing is phenomenally easy compared to most internally routed bars, and works out perfectly for my TMR that has a centerline brake cable for the front.
Heya, thank you so much for going out of the way to measure up your bars and include photos!
Isn't handlebar reach traditionally taken from the center of the tops to the center of the furthest point of the bend, and not from the inner edge of the tops?
I'm wondering why some people on this forum have been measuring from the edge, or if aero bars are measured differently..

At any rate thanks for the info :beerchug:

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

The fact that the bar reach is 20-30mm more than other bars should be reflected in available stem lengths, but it doesn't seem to be. Surprising.

The shortest stem is 80mm and goes all the way to 140mm :shock:

I have a 42cm bar with 70mm reach and a 110mm stem

So with the RSL I'd need 42cm/80mm, but the shortest stem for 42cm is 90mm. I'd either need to go 10mm longer or 20mm narrower.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:27 am
The fact that the bar reach is 20-30mm more than other bars should be reflected in available stem lengths, but it doesn't seem to be. Surprising.

The shortest stem is 80mm and goes all the way to 140mm :shock:

I have a 42cm bar with 70mm reach and a 110mm stem

So with the RSL I'd need 42cm/80mm, but the shortest stem for 42cm is 90mm. I'd either need to go 10mm longer or 20mm narrower.
I went from at 110mm stem and 80mm reach bars to this setup, which equated to +10mm reach, and I definitely feel it. I'm fortunate in that I've been running a more conservative setup than my fitness could probably allow, so I've transitioned fine, but as always, YMMV.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

ch00bzs

by ch00bzs

I usually ride a 110mm stem, and 80mm reach handlebar
i have tried Bontrager RSL handlebar 90x400 and can confirm the handlebar reach is about 20mm longer than usual

sadly they only come in -7 degree, which didn't suit me because of high stack, might revert back to my old setup with -17 degree stem and handlebar

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

I have the RSL handlebars as well (on my emonda) and can vouch that it's very stiff compared to my alloy stem/bar combo I was using temporarily before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:20 pm
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
I have the 40x100mm bar
Finally I see someone using rim brakes. Is your shifting mechanical too? Is there room in there for both brake and mechanical? I wonder if it can work with no compromise/cable friction...

Thanks
That's gonna be a negative :(