What other cranksets are people getting to work with eTap AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

The proper chain line for a 12 speed road bike is the same, whether disc or rim brake, AFAIK. SRAM has a special wide FD for their +2.5mm 43/30 cranks. The rest of the cranks don't have this wider chainline. My standard FD barely worked with the wider chainline, but I did ride it that way, once.

If you want to use the big ring with some of larger sprockets, the standard chainline is best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Chain line on bikes with wider hubs needs to be further out. Hence the extra 2.5mm for the 5mm wider hubs.
Ride fast Take chances

TheRich

by TheRich

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:52 pm
Isn't chainline of grx better for disc brake bike anyway?
Normal chainline is for 130OLD quick release wheels.
Disc push rear spacing to 135mm, so 2.5mm offset on the chainring make it correct again.
The GRX chainline is for tire clearance

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TheRich wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:26 pm
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:52 pm
Isn't chainline of grx better for disc brake bike anyway?
Normal chainline is for 130OLD quick release wheels.
Disc push rear spacing to 135mm, so 2.5mm offset on the chainring make it correct again.
The GRX chainline is for tire clearance
yes but it also put chainline back to how it have been before disc is a thing.

rim brake bike:130OLD rear wheel, road normal chain ring location.
disc brake bike: 135OLD rear wheel (142mm TA also have this spacing), still keep crank at the same place. This means, cassette is 2.5mm offset to the right of chainrings compare to rim brake config.

GRX spacing: now chainrings also offset 2.5mm to the right, make the chainline angle (chainrings vs cassette) the same as rim brake bike.

Cento

by Cento

Sorry to resurrect this thread,,I just upgraded last week to AXS force 2X and keep my 11 speed Quarq PM,,it worked but its not shifting perfectly,I have to tweak limits and angles of the FD cage,I just need to ease a bit while shifting but Im happy for not spending more and used my old crankset,,

gSporco wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:38 pm
Im curious of those using non Sram AXS 2x Chainrings with Sram AXS Front Derailleur if you are having the same shifting issues (chaindrop) as others have had..

I ditched teh Sram AXS 2x for 1x because I couldnt get the chain to not drop.. I suspect this is becasue the Sram Chainring, chain ramps suck and dont move the chain, so you need to adgust the FD high/low to much then it throws the chain.
Attachments
36BF9359-2880-4507-9200-67FB366367AF.jpeg

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I used the Carbon SRM Power with Rotor AXS 4hole rings
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Cento

by Cento

Is it the Rotor 2x qring or 1x?
spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:10 pm

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Cento wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:29 am
Is it the Rotor 2x qring or 1x?
spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:10 pm
2x. rings. :D
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

I'm finally getting good performance with Force AXS and the expensive Carbon-ti AXS chainrings on a 2x Rotor 3D+ 110bcdx5 crank. Took several attempts to dial in the FD so it wouldn't drop the chain on the outside.
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

HappyGuy wrote:I'm finally getting good performance with Force AXS and the expensive Carbon-ti AXS chainrings on a 2x Rotor 3D+ 110bcdx5 crank. Took several attempts to dial in the FD so it wouldn't drop the chain on the outside.
What did you do too get it right? And how are you finding the carbon ti rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

Ultimately, the position settled on for the FD is 1mm between tallest teeth on the big chainring and the bottom edge of the upper part of the cage. Alignment is just slightly past parallel towards the inside for the two white lines on the cage in relation to the big chainring. Set the high limit screw so inside of the outer cage is just barely touching the chain in the highest gear. I rarely use the highest gear so I don't mind if it rubs slightly while it's there for short durations if it means no more chaindrops. Hope this helps you to enjoy AXS and be rid of the annoying chaindrop.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

HappyGuy wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:33 pm
Ultimately, the position settled on for the FD is 1mm between tallest teeth on the big chainring and the bottom edge of the upper part of the cage. Alignment is just slightly past parallel towards the inside for the two white lines on the cage in relation to the big chainring. Set the high limit screw so inside of the outer cage is just barely touching the chain in the highest gear. I rarely use the highest gear so I don't mind if it rubs slightly while it's there for short durations if it means no more chaindrops. Hope this helps you to enjoy AXS and be rid of the annoying chaindrop.
Thank you, do you recommend the carbon ti rings?

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

I really like the CR's and have zero complaints, except their premium prices. I heard a rumor that Praxis is coming out with AXS rings this year, so I hope they'll be a viable alternative. Also, I should mention to consult the chart below when setting up crank on BB for chainline and FD behavior. Adhere to spec W4 and W3. Also, use the appropriate shim for FD/bike as recommended in the Sram manual/installation video.
Attachments
SramCrankSpecs.PNG

fa63

by fa63

For what it is worth, I have found that most chain drop issues on AXS groupsets are due to the support wedge (or lack thereof); either the correct one isn't installed or it is not installed at all. I have fixed chain dropping on several bikes by just installing the proper support wedge. Also, SRAM now make a simple go/no-go tool to check FD alignment. Works like a charm.

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

fa63 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:03 am
For what it is worth, I have found that most chain drop issues on AXS groupsets are due to the support wedge (or lack thereof); either the correct one isn't installed or it is not installed at all. I have fixed chain dropping on several bikes by just installing the proper support wedge. Also, SRAM now make a simple go/no-go tool to check FD alignment. Works like a charm.
Agree on the wedge. But if you are referring to this tool it's almost worthless for setup.
Attachments
SramFDTool.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com