Roval Alpinist Seatpost and Handlebar.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

tommyboyo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:24 pm
Trying to install mine and is basically impossible to get on the steerer tube!!

SL6 with expander plug installed and just can't slide the thing on. Stiff beyond belief and don't want to damage anything.

Old standard s-works alloy stem pops on and off just fine.

Any tips?
Slacken expander plug. The small difference in size of the steerer can make the difference.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:34 pm
tommyboyo wrote:

SL6 with expander plug installed and just can't slide the thing on. Stiff beyond belief and don't want to damage anything.

Any tips?
Slacken expander plug. The small difference in size of the steerer can make the difference.
But I think the only way to slacken the plug is full removal?

If you loosen the bolt, it does not actually release any pressure on the top wedge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

tommyboyo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:48 pm
ghisallo2003 wrote:
tommyboyo wrote:

Any tips?

If you loosen the bolt, it does not actually release any pressure on the top wedge.
If it's the Specialized expander plug then it's a multi-step process to remove the entire plug, and yes you'll need to do one final step to loosen it as the pressure is still on the top of the plug even if you remove the entire top bolt.

See here:
https://youtu.be/YNizysonc74

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

I just popped a very light coat of grease on in the end and it slipped on a treat.

No doubt someone will chime in with the good old grease = death to CF myth, but job done.

jphu

by jphu

tommyboyo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:49 pm
I just popped a very light coat of grease on in the end and it slipped on a treat.
careful, grease will kill your cf :P

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Anyone used any decent non-integrated out-front mount with these?

milanv

by milanv

yinzerniner wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:24 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:48 pm
ghisallo2003 wrote:
tommyboyo wrote:

Any tips?

If it's the Specialized expander plug then it's a multi-step process to remove the entire plug, and yes you'll need to do one final step to loosen it as the pressure is still on the top of the plug even if you remove the entire top bolt.

See here:
https://youtu.be/YNizysonc74
Thank you for the video manual.

justonwo

by justonwo

I asked Specialized via Rider Care how you are supposed to torque the front bolt on the Alpinist seat bolt. They replied that you have to use a saddle with a slot in the middle (palm on forehead).

Then I reminded them that the Aethos I bought came with a S-Works Power Mirror (no slot in the middle). So they said I can use the holes in the side of the bolt head to tighten it . . . duh. But obviously there is no way to tighten it to a specific torque spec.
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc, Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

justonwo wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:44 pm
I asked Specialized via Rider Care how you are supposed to torque the front bolt on the Alpinist seat bolt. They replied that you have to use a saddle with a slot in the middle (palm on forehead).

Then I reminded them that the Aethos I bought came with a S-Works Power Mirror (no slot in the middle). So they said I can use the holes in the side of the bolt head to tighten it . . . duh. But obviously there is no way to tighten it to a specific torque spec.
Eh?

Sounds like a ridiculous design oversight!!

justonwo

by justonwo

tommyboyo wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:47 pm
justonwo wrote:

Eh?

I think you just set the front bolt for tilt and then torque the rear. That seems to hold mine in place just fine. I just wanted to know if I was missing something. I guess not!
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc, Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

justonwo wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:02 am
tommyboyo wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:47 pm
justonwo wrote:

Eh?

I think you just set the front bolt for tilt and then torque the rear. That seems to hold mine in place just fine. I just wanted to know if I was missing something. I guess not!
Yeha, it's not a big deal. Just loosen the rear bolt, stick a small allen key (I used an awl) rotate till you're satisfied and tighten the rear. (oh that sounds dirty :oops: ) It's a bit of a hassle but ultimately the whole clamp is very secure for such a light post.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Maddie

by Maddie

tommyboyo wrote:I just popped a very light coat of grease on in the end and it slipped on a treat.

No doubt someone will chime in with the good old grease = death to CF myth, but job done.
Grease doesn't harm carbon at all. But as you saw yourself, it reduces friction between parts. It may have helped during installation, but now the interconnection between stem and steerer is not as solid as it should be. Even after torquing the stem bolts. Result can be creaks

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:38 pm
Anyone used any decent non-integrated out-front mount with these?
Like a clamp on? I'd be interested to know if this works

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Has anybody tried the Alpinist cockpit on an SL7? I'm wondering how it would look and how to route the cables neatly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mschwett

by mschwett

does anyone else who has this bar/steam know about the strength of the M4 threaded mount up front? i'd like to use it for a flipped around "up top" mount as opposed to "out front," but with an iphone rather than a bike computer. certainly quite a bit more load than a bike computer. it seems solid, plenty of engagement, but i'm worried about the constant up and down stresses on it while riding.

3d printed mount is a work in progress, obviously! apologies for the terrible pics. for some reason the tag isn't working...

http://www.431.org/miscPics/0074-mounted.jpg

http://www.431.org/miscPics/0073-badPicFront.jpg