Roval Alpinist Seatpost and Handlebar.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Anyone have any insights?
Weights are super low - 136 gram post and 250 gram bar. Prices are super high.

The Roval website doesn't show a front view of the seatpost clamp which could look weird because of the angled bolt design.

More confusing is the statement about the bar that the bend is "traditional radius" but the drop is only 125 mm. https://rovalcomponents.com/collections ... st-cockpit
IMO a round bend just doesn't work at 125mm drop. The curve is too tight for the hands. The photos do indeed show a roundish bend but I don't think that's an actual photo. I found what I thought was an actual photo online which shows something closer to a compact type bend which makes a bit more sense. The few cycling websites that have had a look and taken photos are of no help.

I am trying to put a very light post and bar on my new Factor and these are serious contenders. Anybody have any inside info on these?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

LewisK

by LewisK

Does the seatpost weight definitely include the cradle and bolts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

SIZES

400 mm x 80/90/100mm
420mm x 90/100/110/120mm
440mm x 110/120/130mm

This will kill it for a lot of buyers. I'd need to ride a 44 just to get the reach needed.

And yes they are a more traditional shape than a true compact.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have silly wide shoulders and big hands - I need at least a 42 and would probably enjoy a 44, so I can go up to 130mm which is probably what I would need with the short reach of 75mm. (Just don't get the fashion for super narrow bars, except for people sitting on the front of a peloton in competition. Just not good for climbing/sprinting)

The product comparison would be with the Bontrager XXX barstem combo. They only go to a 110 mm stem but the bar reach is 93mm so hood location would be the equivalent of the Roval 130mm. Better shape drops, lighter, and narrower in similar lengths. As long as my knees don't hit when I climb.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

LewisK wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:17 am
Does the seatpost weight definitely include the cradle and bolts?
Would a company actually claim a weight without them? That would be pretty corrupt.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I own the post. Here are some photos of it. **please excuse the tape, I'm still building up this bike and the post will be going in and out some more.
Claimed weights are pretty accurate. Bolts are already ti so not much tuning to be done.

+1 with nefarious about barstem sizes being straight out of 2012, which seems to be on course for specialized these days.
I'm pretty sure we already have a thread on these already...
Let me know if there are any specific photos you want me to take.

njleach

by njleach

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:19 am
I own the post. Here are some photos of it.

What saddle are you running? Comfortable?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Mr.Gib wrote:(Just don't get the fashion for super narrow bars, except for people sitting on the front of a peloton in competition. Just not good for climbing/sprinting)
This part here makes 0 sense..
Track sprinters are on 34cm bars or narrower now and how is a hindrance climbing? 130/380 isn't an uncommon combo now.

Using Tapatalk

AnkitS

by AnkitS

+1, Not everybody has "silly wide shoulders and big hands", my shoulders measure 35-36cm and I'm 165cm tall. My position requires a 110 or 120 stem with most bikes that fit me. I also realize specialized wouldn't sell a lot of those anyways.
njleach wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:06 am
What saddle are you running? Comfortable?
Berk Lupina, I have them on all my bikes and they are fantastic. They do have a tendency to fall apart though, as mentioned on a bunch of threads here.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I would buy the Alpinist Bar the moment they release a 380mm width or a 400mm width version with an appropriate reach.
The ones they offer might be great for my next bike packing bike...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Nefarious86 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:50 am
Mr.Gib wrote:(Just don't get the fashion for super narrow bars, except for people sitting on the front of a peloton in competition. Just not good for climbing/sprinting)
This part here makes 0 sense..
Track sprinters are on 34cm bars or narrower now and how is a hindrance climbing? 130/380 isn't an uncommon combo now.

Track is a totally different animal. Mostly seated and very high cadence when things get going. Narrow bars make total sense on the track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj6SPmQLrLE

For climbing I find if I get narrower then 40, I just can use my arms to contribute as effectively - less leverage I guess. My shoulders measure 46 or 47 so perhaps it's all relative.

The companies that are coming up with these combo bar sizes are not just blindly following tradition. No doubt they have looked long and hard and done some research on what is most appropriate for the market. Adam Hansen seems to have really started something. You've got your saddle set up like his also? :P
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:19 am
I own the post. Here are some photos of it. **please excuse the tape, I'm still building up this bike and the post will be going in and out some more.
Claimed weights are pretty accurate. Bolts are already ti so not much tuning to be done.

+1 with nefarious about barstem sizes being straight out of 2012, which seems to be on course for specialized these days.
I'm pretty sure we already have a thread on these already...
Let me know if there are any specific photos you want me to take.
Question - so the only way to adjust the front bolt is from above thereby requiring a cutout saddle? Or do I see a tiny hole in the bolt head into which one would insert a small allen key from the side as a lever? That is getting funky. My saddles do not have a cutout and not a lot of space between the top and rails.

And how would you rate the saddle for comfort and compliance?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

There's a 5mm Allen key spot on the nds allowing you to adjust the angle from that side. I didn't mess with it though.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Why do you need your arms as leverage on long climbs? Most efficient way to climb is staying planted and spin at a high cadence. Also, many aero bars now will be 380mm at the hoods and over 400mm in the drops, to give more leverage for sprinting.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

corky

by corky

If you're not producing a 38mm width min.then You're losing market share The peloton is moving in that direction......... narrower is aero for free (reduced frontal area 'n all that).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com