Roval Alpinist Seatpost and Handlebar.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mschwett

by mschwett

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:08 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:38 pm
Anyone used any decent non-integrated out-front mount with these?
Like a clamp on? I'd be interested to know if this works
it works, but is unsatisfying. there isn't a spot near the "stem" where the bar is a fixed diameter, so it takes a bunch of shimming/layering of electrical tape under the clamp to get it close to straight. i wasn't able to quite get either of a couple mounts in a satisfactory position...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Could anyone tell me if the Alpinist handlebar would be suitable for my gravel/road bike? Or is it purely for road bikes?

I am 82-84kg... Too heavy for the Darimo stuff (inc new Nexum). And the Alpinist locks quite solid with a 109kg limit with 400x100 at 233g according to previous posts.

Currently using a Extralite Hyperstem -12 degree 90mm at 74g with a 3T aeroghiaia 400mm at 240g.

Could I use the Alpinist instead or will it break? Cheers! Also, since Alpinist is -6 degrees only, do you get the drops level with the ground?
Attachments
IMG_20211029_150251 (1).jpg

freepk

by freepk

Hi,

I found this nice looking saddle fixing system from Gelu:

Does anybody try it with Alpinist seatpost?
Front bolt can be turned upsidedown.

mschwett

by mschwett

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:30 pm
Could anyone tell me if the Alpinist handlebar would be suitable for my gravel/road bike? Or is it purely for road bikes?

I am 82-84kg... Too heavy for the Darimo stuff (inc new Nexum). And the Alpinist locks quite solid with a 109kg limit with 400x100 at 233g according to previous posts.

Currently using a Extralite Hyperstem -12 degree 90mm at 74g with a 3T aeroghiaia 400mm at 240g.

Could I use the Alpinist instead or will it break? Cheers! Also, since Alpinist is -6 degrees only, do you get the drops level with the ground?
no guarantees of course, but i've been riding the alpinist bar (420x100) on gravel and road for about a month, i was initially worried about the gravel and some light singletrack, but no signs of any stress or undue flex so far. i'm also 83kg, 6'2" and not a super experienced rider so my skill is undoubtedly a limitation. have done rides with heavily rutted paths and downhill singletrack with the trail carved into steps due to steepness, etc, on 42mm tires with the alpinist.

the bar feels strong.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

mschwett wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:43 pm
eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:30 pm

no guarantees of course, but i've been riding the alpinist bar (420x100) on gravel and road for about a month, i was initially worried about the gravel and some light singletrack, but no signs of any stress or undue flex so far. i'm also 83kg, 6'2" and not a super experienced rider so my skill is undoubtedly a limitation. have done rides with heavily rutted paths and downhill singletrack with the trail carved into steps due to steepness, etc, on 42mm tires with the alpinist.

the bar feels strong.
Thanks for great input!!

I am very excited to hear further how it holds up if you do any more riding with it :D

One place in Sweden has it on sale for 420 euro, pretty good considering my 3T (only handlebar) cost 350...

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I'm looking to lighten my 2019 Cervelo R5 disk by replacing my beautiful, though super porky Enve SES cockpit with the Roval Alpinist integrated handlebar. Does anyone know if the cable routing would be effected with the new bar? Below is a pic of the current set-up with the Enve SES aero cockpit.
Attachments
IMG_9887.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

robeambro

by robeambro

Probably a silly question but can you guys school me on the Alpinist seatpost in terms of saddle rail compatibility? I have a Dimension Nack with carbon rails, 7x9.3mm. Do I need to buy separate seatpost 'ears' if I want to use this saddle?

dcj10

by dcj10

@robeambro you should be fine, as the rails clamp from top to bottom, not from the side. I went from the stock Expert saddle with Ti rails to 7x9 carbon rails with no issue...
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445
First reserve Pegoretti steel 2012 Ciavete paint viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168091

robeambro

by robeambro

dcj10 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:49 pm
@robeambro you should be fine, as the rails clamp from top to bottom, not from the side. I went from the stock Expert saddle with Ti rails to 7x9 carbon rails with no issue...
Thanks - here's hoping.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:06 am
I'm looking to lighten my 2019 Cervelo R5 disk by replacing my beautiful, though super porky Enve SES cockpit with the Roval Alpinist integrated handlebar. Does anyone know if the cable routing would be effected with the new bar? Below is a pic of the current set-up with the Enve SES aero cockpit.
It will work. That R5 could be built with just about any bar. It will be up to you to decide what junction box, etc. BUT dayum... that front end is nasty. Am I seeing it correctly - the rear brake hose goes into the downtube at about a 90 degree angle while the Di2 wire heads north and then enters the top tube behind the steerer? Maybe bring those two together when you change the bars.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:37 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:06 am
It will work. That R5 could be built with just about any bar. It will be up to you to decide what junction box, etc. BUT dayum... that front end is nasty. Am I seeing it correctly - the rear brake hose goes into the downtube at about a 90 degree angle while the Di2 wire heads north and then enters the top tube behind the steerer? Maybe bring those two together when you change the bars.
Sorry thats an old pic. The bike was initially built up that way but was quickly corrected within a few days. Here's what it looks like now. BTW I ended up ordering the Bontrager RSL bar instead in size 38cm since its a little more aero, will clean up the cables a little bit better, and offered in size 38cm. The weight is a little more but close enough.
Attachments
IMG_1949.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

freepk

by freepk

If anybody(like me) has problem with install Alpinist handlebar on stearer tube this can help:

ccie6872

by ccie6872

freepk wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:12 am
If anybody(like me) has problem with install Alpinist handlebar on stearer tube this can help:
I had to do something similar but used a tire lever to wedge.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Has anyone seen a computer/light mount that clamps around the bars? The k-edge is slightly big. The stock bolt snap today using the Alpinist on gravel. I suspect I could find a titanium or steal bold vs aluminum.

mschwett

by mschwett

ccie6872 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:03 am
Has anyone seen a computer/light mount that clamps around the bars? The k-edge is slightly big. The stock bolt snap today using the Alpinist on gravel. I suspect I could find a titanium or steal bold vs aluminum.
ouch. the bolt snapped, but the embed (i assume you're talking about the integrated front embed) is intact?

i've got about 2,000 miles on mine so far, no signs of any issues. mostly roads, some hard / fast gravel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com