Suggestions for frameset under 2k?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

sirRob

by sirRob

It came in at 7540g. My wheels (Bora wto 33) are 200g heavier than yours and I guess the DI2 groupset+Powermeter adds some significant wheight also. With ww clamp, axles, expander I saved >100g to the stock components tho. Handlebar (zipp 205g), seatpost (mcfk 106g), stem (kcnc 99g) and saddle (selle italia 160g) are light also. My goal is 7200g. So I need to think about replacing my loved bora wtos....

by Weenie

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

That is surprising. That seatpost and stem are really lite. My post, stem and saddle together are probably 200g heavier than yours.

edit. My weight was without pedeals. Could that be the difference?

DaveS

by DaveS

When comparing complete bike weights, you can't skip major parts like pedals. Manufacturers list weights with no pedals, bottle cages or computer. Those items can easily be 300 grams. Be sure you're comparing apples to apples.

sirRob

by sirRob

Yes my weight is with Dura-Ace pedals, tune bottlecages and wahoo mount.

I did a bit of calculating and found some heavy parts on mine: Vittoria Corsa Control tires (265g each), Ultegra cassette 11-32 (281g) und Vittoria Latex tubes (~80g each). With GP5000 tires, reveloop ultra tubes and sram red cassette weigth will be ~300g less. So I am relieved for now :)

Replacing the bora wtos with some farsports feder wheels would bring the weight even below 7kg. But I really really like the campa wheels :|

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

DaveS wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:43 pm
When comparing complete bike weights, you can't skip major parts like pedals. Manufacturers list weights with no pedals, bottle cages or computer. Those items can easily be 300 grams. Be sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Yeah, I just noticed that. Funny thing is that I have my bottle cages, phone mount and cables added in but I forgot the damn pedals!

Toby

by Toby

Vespasianus wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:57 pm
You can get a Cinelli Superstar for ~$1500 USD.

This was built up with a H11/Chorus disc system and comes in at 7.34 kg.

At the same time, the Giant TCR is a great bike and you most likely will get much better customer service from Giant than you would ever get from Cinelli.

IMG_8233.jpg
Genuine question: for the models that take standard parts (seatpost etc) how much customer service is needed? Derailleur hangers maybe, but is there anything else?

I ask because some Cinellis are absolutely gorgeous, but I wouldn't want to consider getting into a frustrating situation.

sirRob

by sirRob

I had a few mails with cinelli before I purchased the frameset. They were very responsive and answered all my questions. So nothing to complain here. Delivery time from their base in italy to my place is 3 days.

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

Toby wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:24 pm
Vespasianus wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:57 pm
You can get a Cinelli Superstar for ~$1500 USD.

This was built up with a H11/Chorus disc system and comes in at 7.34 kg.

At the same time, the Giant TCR is a great bike and you most likely will get much better customer service from Giant than you would ever get from Cinelli.

IMG_8233.jpg
Genuine question: for the models that take standard parts (seatpost etc) how much customer service is needed? Derailleur hangers maybe, but is there anything else?

I ask because some Cinellis are absolutely gorgeous, but I wouldn't want to consider getting into a frustrating situation.
I am not a fan of Cinelli-USA. They are based in NYC and are not friendly in any way. Honestly, just hope you never have to deal with them. My discussion with the fellow from Cinelli-USA (turns out he was the manager) basically implied the bikes are inspected by them before shipping and hence are perfect. If anything is wrong, it is your fault and that is that. They will sell you a new frame for ~$1000 but that is all they can do. Small parts such as a rear derailleur hanger can be purchased directly from the web site for $35. Things like cable port stops are not commonly available so don't loose them. But they are well built and honestly, you most likely will never have an issue with it. And if you crash or have some sort of mishap, carbon can be repaired (by third party) easily.