EE brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DHG01

by DHG01

C36 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:49 pm
DHG01 wrote:I am not particularly impressed with ee; that would compare to Ultegra/DA or Campy.

Given I am contradicting a few other forum members, I am inclined to think I am the one who is wrong.
My ee s are from 2015, but they are running in wide rims (4.5 SES). I once mounted a much thinner Fulcrum rim and the bite was completely different. So I suspect earlier generations were less meant for today's rim width. Just something to bear in mind if the op is looking for used ones.

In terms of putting them on an 8kg bike; unless it is steel fork and frame, I would tend to think that at that weight there are more effective options to reduce weight.
The adjustment is indeed a bit sensitive and reading you, I recall switching to very narrow rim without adding spacers to the brake pads resulted in quite a low braking power.

If you still have them I would spend more time trying different setups.

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project
Thanks, I do have them. I will have a look if there is an option to remove spacers.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have the G4 and they paired up with my Sram Etap levers quite nicely once I had the correct spacers in the brake mounts. The setup is a little more finicky than with others but once you have it figured out they are golden. Whenever I switch to a wider rim(28mm from 25mm) I adjust the brakes with the cable clamp instead of the barrel adjusters. It looks to me as though it takes some of the range of movement out of the caliper when adjusting by the barrel so by adjusting at the cable clamp it keeps that range the same and its not a big deal to adjust it that way as its only the rear that I use a wider rim with. I would not switch back to anything else unless I was going to disc.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

DHG01 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:13 pm
I am not particularly impressed with ee; that would compare to Ultegra/DA or Campy.

Given I am contradicting a few other forum members, I am inclined to think I am the one who is wrong.
My ee s are from 2015, but they are running in wide rims (4.5 SES). I once mounted a much thinner Fulcrum rim and the bite was completely different. So I suspect earlier generations were less meant for today's rim width. Just something to bear in mind if the op is looking for used ones.

In terms of putting them on an 8kg bike; unless it is steel fork and frame, I would tend to think that at that weight there are more effective options to reduce weight.
Titanium frame (custom but normally I ride a 58), WW parts are Parlee FD clamp, Carbon Ti Seatpost clamp, Carbon Ti skewers, tune hubs, jagwire elite link brake cables ...

Non weight weenie parts - enve seatpost 30.6, enve aero stem (-17/110), enve aero bars (36 hoods/42 drops), etap 11 speed groupset, Sram red quarq GXP, DA pedals, CBear BB and pulleys, sworks power saddle, Alto 52mm rims, GP5000 TL 25mm, CK headset, Sram red brakes...

However Etap 11 spd is the lightest electronic groupset, and the enve cotpit is definitely fast!!

So not sure what other obvious savings there are without having a detrimental effect on the over all ride...
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Ypuh

by Ypuh

DHG01 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:03 pm
Very, very nice bike. Can I ask what saddle that is?
Looks like a Berk Lupina Padded to me, but image is not the best quality/angle.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

DHG01

by DHG01

CustomMetal wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:38 pm
DHG01 wrote:
I am not particularly impressed with ee; that would compare to Ultegra/DA or Campy.

Titanium frame (custom but normally I ride a 58), WW parts are Parlee FD clamp, Carbon Ti Seatpost clamp, Carbon Ti skewers, tune hubs, jagwire elite link brake cables ...

Non weight weenie parts - enve seatpost 30.6, enve aero stem (-17/110), enve aero bars (36 hoods/42 drops), etap 11 speed groupset, Sram red quarq GXP, DA pedals, CBear BB and pulleys, sworks power saddle, Alto 52mm rims, GP5000 TL 25mm, CK headset, Sram red brakes...

However Etap 11 spd is the lightest electronic groupset, and the enve cotpit is definitely fast!!

So not sure what other obvious savings there are without having a detrimental effect on the over all ride...
Tha is one fancy setup; go for the ee s if its itching. I personally like most the silver limited edition.

neeb

by neeb

This thread is bad for me. I keep hovering my mouse pointer over the "add to basket" button for the Fuego special edition EEs... Widely in stock, next day delivery available... I already have the standard black G3s on my lightweight bike, but those Fuegos would look SO good, especially combined with some gold coloured ilink cables...

I could justify it by selling the G3s, or moving them to the steel bike...

Aaargh. Want but don't need (at all). Maybe I should get a 5G iPhone instead.

LewisK

by LewisK

Aaargh. Want but don't need (at all). Maybe I should get a 5G iPhone instead.
[/quote]

You probably don't need the 5G iPhone either...so with that in mind, buy the EE brakes ;-)

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Objectively speaking the El Fuego's have way more use than an iPhone. A phone has never made me smile or help me down a descent.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

1. I bet you will still be using the same old apps you're using now after getting that new phone.
2. No one way complement you on having a nice iPhone 12 at the cafe.
3. Don't come to this forum at all if you want to avoid the sin of lust.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

DHG01 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:08 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:38 pm
DHG01 wrote:

Tha is one fancy setup; go for the ee s if its itching. I personally like most the silver limited edition.
Attachments
F9448C30-0AF9-427F-A35A-6C46B408CF3A.jpeg
457506D1-E00A-41A2-8FEE-7FC8869C9AE6.jpeg
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

DHG01

by DHG01

Fantastic! Very, very nice; really like the tone on your bike.
I also liked how you placed the red colored details; I ended up taking them off-seat post clamp and stem cap. Still got the bar tape...
Attachments
4F2A27C2-EF2C-439F-8B44-891ECF0B2FF2.png
7FB1B5C1-D1E2-4FCD-AF1C-E148123D63FB.jpeg

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

DHG01 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:57 pm
Fantastic! Very, very nice; really like the tone on your bike.
I also liked how you placed the red colored details; I ended up taking them off-seat post clamp and stem cap. Still got the bar tape...
The schmolke look great but what is going on with the length of the valves on the Enves?!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

DHG01

by DHG01

Yeah...I need to work in those things. And also the valve caps should be out ;)

bilwit

by bilwit

I love mine. Coming from DA9000 (direct mount), my first impressions were that they had better modulation and DA had more initial bite/power. Funnily enough, going from EE to discs (9170), the discs feel ridiculously weak in comparison after not touching the disc bike for a while (too much modulation/way more than I've been used to).

tabl10s

by tabl10s

C36 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 am
To be honest I realised I missed one part in the nice picture... they are more sensitive to setup than Dura ace for example (and explain why time to tune you have people complaining about lower braking power than DA) and that involve the housing length too (the housing anchoring point does move when you pull the brakes).

Another point to consider is the relatively weak std spring if you have continuous housing on your frame (or some integrated bars that male some “less than ideal” sharp corners). Then a stronger spring that exist.

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project
I've had all but #'s 1,3,7. Colors are unmatched, almost the lightest out there and better than Red or FSA' s top offering. Thought they were ugly the first time I saw them on the S-Works SL6 Ultralight, but when the El Dorado debuted, I was a convert for life.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com