EE brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

So.. are they worth it? Especially on an 8kg bike which is almost as light as I can sensibily get it? Also how do they compare to the Sram red brakes?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lucendi

by Lucendi

If they are worth it to you or not really depends on what other components you can upgrade to what cost per lost gram.

They look amazing though; :)

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

How is the braking compared to Sram red and DA?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

micky

by micky

If you want Red/DA/SR braking power, stick to them.
EE are a good alternative with decent braking but lots of weight saving.

Depends on your priorities.
Lately a lot of people priority seems to be the braking part compared to weight saving.

neeb

by neeb

I have EE brakes on one bike and Record on another. The braking on the EEs is every bit as good as the campy brakes. You wouldn't think so comparing them off the bike, the Record brakes have a sharper "clack clack" feel when the pads hit the rims (maybe due to stronger return springs or a different pull ratio?), but when actually riding the performance of the EEs is superb. They seem to modulate very well. I also like the little hand screw to adjust the pad centering.

For me at least they are the best of both worlds - top notch performance and much less weight. At a price of course..

nickf

by nickf

Have them on 2 bikes. I would never use another rim brake caliper. Excellent power and feel. Easy to adjust, makes swapping between wheelset a breeze.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Thank you all!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

CustomMetal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:14 pm
So.. are they worth it? Especially on an 8kg bike
Save your money for something else.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Argonaut sold their ready made Sram bike with EE as they were very much better with Sram than Sram Red.
I've used mine with Shimano and Sram and i say this, they're great!
If they worth the money is another thing! They will brake better than THM that is what i've been told and they also cost way less.
But again, value is up to you!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Also here on two bikes with excellent results. Yes would buy again, the only negative to me is if you like to swap wheels that one set are much wider/narrow you may have to add/remove some pad spacers. Obviously once you know the correct number it is no biggie but an extra step needed
BB

Coffee & carbon

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A friend has a duraace bike (single mounting) and ee+sram levers (direct mount) bike, otherwise the rims and pads are the same. The duraace brakes have quite a bit more bite.

The ee aren't bad but the duraace are more confidence inspiring if you had to pick one for a terrifying descent. For normal riding they're all fine obviously.

It seems that "well modulating" brakes mean that you have to pull the levers more and get less initial bite. As such it comes down to personal preference because you're trading bite for control. What do you like in a brake?

torob

by torob

It really feels like EE brakes have capped rim brake innovation, forever. A genre-ender, in the best way. They're excellent.
Using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Don't listen to naysayers, they perform flawlessly. Not as much absolute stopping power as 9100, but they perform very, very, well. Better than Red brakes in every measurable way. Better lever feel and modulation than 9100, but with less initial bite, and less panic-stop power, but nothing you need to actually think about or worry about. No flex at all, and the weight obviously speaks for itself. I would never even consider another rim brake if rim brakes are your preference.

edit to add, as evidenced by photo, powerful enough to use cork pads, without the slightest concern.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

MeekMouse

by MeekMouse

Nothing but great things to say about eeBrakes, particularly how easy they are to adjust relative to finicky SRAM Aerolinks. I've moved on to disc on my daily driver, but am keeping the eeBrakes around for a future project bike regardless.

C36

by C36

Compared to the DA I haven’t seen power difference but the modulation appeared better on the EE.
Never before I had been able to feel, in such a fine manner, the wheel blockage limit. Really a pleasure.

Edit: that’s for a 63kg rider with a 6kg bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com