Crash on my Brand New Bike :(

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

jmason42

by jmason42

Hi Team,

Just looking for some like minded folks to share my crash story with. Was riding last weekend and took quite the tumble. Ended up going over the handlebars, landing on my shoulder and launching my brand new bike (2020 TCR Advanced Pro Disc - bought it last month) into space. Unfortunately neither my shoulder nor my bike took the impact very well, and I ended up with a broken collarbone and a crack that completely wraps around the bottom bracket. The bike appears to have come down either on the seat or the wheels, sending forces down into the bottom bracket and causing the failure. Fingers crossed that my bike will be covered in some way under crash warranty through Giant! I've sent some photos in to my local bike shop for them to use when reaching out to Giant - will keep everybody updated on how things unfold! Some pictures below for your enjoyment. See you all next spring!

Last edited by jmason42 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Not quite sure that's a warranty issue.. Hope you mend fast tho

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sorry to see that. Your health is the most important thing so godspeed to your recovery.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

jmason42 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:33 pm
Hi Fingers crossed that my bike will be covered in some way under warranty through Giant!
Crash damage is not a warranty. That's what insurance is for.

AJS914

by AJS914

I believe that new Giants do come with a 2 year crash damage warranty so he should be covered. Get well soon.

Maddie

by Maddie

Giant 2 yrs composite confidence in the US. You're covered as long as you're the first owner, bought it new and the damage occured while riding.
I believe Giant is the only manufacturer within the industry to offer such a warranty/insurance

Gesendet von meinem MAR-LX1A mit Tapatalk

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Good news.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/composite_confidence

"We’re so confident in Giant’s composite technology, if any composite frame or component is structurally damaged while you’re riding in the first two years after you bought it, we’ll repair it or replace it free of charge. This is in addition to Giant's limited lifetime warranty and offers coverage which usually isn't offered."

jmason42

by jmason42

Maddie wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:06 pm
Giant 2 yrs composite confidence in the US. You're covered as long as you're the first owner, bought it new and the damage occured while riding.
I believe Giant is the only manufacturer within the industry to offer such a warranty/insurance
oldnslow2 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:24 pm
Good news.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/composite_confidence

"We’re so confident in Giant’s composite technology, if any composite frame or component is structurally damaged while you’re riding in the first two years after you bought it, we’ll repair it or replace it free of charge. This is in addition to Giant's limited lifetime warranty and offers coverage which usually isn't offered."
I'm hoping that will apply to me though as I am up in Canada!!!
Last edited by jmason42 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Speedy recovery! Typically a crash would not be covered by warranty but check with Giant if they have a crash-replacement program. I crashed my Canyon Aeroad and needed a new fork. I got onw through the crash-replacement program. I still had to pay it but it was quite bit cheaper than regular price. At Canyon you have to demonstrate that is was a crash and is not covered by any insurance to be eligible. I think you can also only use it once per bike....should be similar at Giant. Not fantastic but much better than paying full price for a replacement frame!
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Maddie

by Maddie

It's not a global program though. It only applies to bikes that have been purchased at a US Giant retailer... For the rest of the world I believe it's a 20% crash replacement like we know from other manufacturers. But things may have changed, probably best to check with your LBS

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Maddie wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:06 pm

oh, wow, just reading this on the Giant website...that is indeed a very unusual coverage and actually a very good reason to get a Giant next time a new bike is due...although I have never heard about this bein gin place in Europe as well...
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

gwilson

by gwilson

In addition to what sounds like a great warranty policy from Giant, most credit cards have some form of purchase protection. Last year I crashed a new bike, and because it was less than 90 days since I'd bought in, my credit card insurance completely paid for a new one. Might want to look into that

jmason42

by jmason42

Maddie wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:35 pm
It's not a global program though. It only applies to bikes that have been purchased at a US Giant retailer... For the rest of the world I believe it's a 20% crash replacement like we know from other manufacturers. But things may have changed, probably best to check with your LBS
When you say 20% does that mean 20% off or you pay 20% of the price of the bike?

jmason42

by jmason42

[Deleted]
Last edited by jmason42 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

jmason42

by jmason42

gwilson wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:39 pm
In addition to what sounds like a great warranty policy from Giant, most credit cards have some form of purchase protection. Last year I crashed a new bike, and because it was less than 90 days since I'd bought in, my credit card insurance completely paid for a new one. Might want to look into that
I will 100% look into that! Being from Canada as well, do you mind sharing which credit card family you were/are a part of, and what the general process was that you followed? Happy to take it offline here