New Schwalbe Aerothan Tubes - a Tubolito competitor?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Robius

by Robius

I'm planning to buy aerothan for the front only because of "no sudden loss of air" as they advertised.

I couldn't find any stock tho, looks like they'll be available in next month.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

kervelo

by kervelo

Robius wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:46 am
I'm planning to buy aerothan for the front only because of "no sudden loss of air" as they advertised.

https://r2-bike.com/navi.php?qs=aerothan&search=

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Robius wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:46 am

Hi, I am contemplating the same - currently on tubeless, but wouldn't mind the switch if it indeed holds air decently in case of a puncture. Did you eventually try them? Has anybody?

okx

by okx

Ordered from bike-discount last week.
got them this week, but will need to wait for spring to test them...

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

How would these compare to Silca latex? (Side note: punctured one after two weeks of riding -- tips on patching?)

Robius

by Robius

twoangstroms wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:23 pm
How would these compare to Silca latex? (Side note: punctured one after two weeks of riding -- tips on patching?)
I'm using one for the last 10000kms with a topeak glueless patch, no problems so far.

Edit: I meant the latex tyre. I didn't buy the aerothan yet but I'll buy for the next season.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Wow nailed it... I'm in that weird demographic of carbon rim users that wants RR close to that of latex, but I don't want to risk a trip to the plastic surgeon every time I descend -12% hills with multiple switchbacks. These tubes would make the wheels daily-drivable again across much of the world map, so to speak, without going back to butyl.

The questions are two-folds:

1. Will these roll as comfy as latex?
2. Do I smash open my piggy bank that's been storing my "emergency plastic surgeon funds" to grab three of these?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

twoangstroms wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:23 pm
How would these compare to Silca latex?
Silca doesn't make latex tubes. Just branded vittoria.

gitsome

by gitsome

Have had 3 consecutive Scwalbe Ones pop sidewalls less than 100 miles in so can’t really trust their quality control - these sound promising but I will wait a year or two until I’d bother with them.
It is good to see clincher tech still moving fwd somehow I won’t go tubeless for road and even switched back to tubes on MTB for so many reasons and have not regretted it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

gitsome wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:36 pm
Have had 3 consecutive Scwalbe Ones pop sidewalls less than 100 miles in so can’t really trust their quality control - these sound promising but I will wait a year or two until I’d bother with them.
It is good to see clincher tech still moving fwd somehow I won’t go tubeless for road and even switched back to tubes on MTB for so many reasons and have not regretted it once.

On which rims/PSI are the schwalbe popping out?

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

I've used these for a few hundred miles and my impression of the tube is good. I haven't tried latex so I can't make that comparison but vs a Specialized Turbo tube it feels like I switched to a really nice tire. Using on Alpinists at ~80 psi.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

gitsome

by gitsome

Raimundo wrote:
gitsome wrote:

They were on zipp 404 with 100 psi. Have ridden 1000s of miles on many other tires this only happened w the scwalbes and I got tired of wasting $90 usd on them

Raimundo

by Raimundo

gitsome wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:15 pm
Raimundo wrote:
gitsome wrote:

They were on zipp 404 with 100 psi. Have ridden 1000s of miles on many other tires this only happened w the scwalbes and I got tired of wasting $90 usd on them

That's X-files material right there... i hope you got your money back.

They are still within the pressure range ( for 25's), and it shouldn't happen on hooked rims. I've ben using all the Pro-ones TLE variants in 25 mm since they came out many years ago, and i never had those issues, albeit i never go north of 77PSI...

With what did you replaced them with BTW?

gitsome

by gitsome

Replaced with specialized s works turbos twice, vredsteins after that and now Goodyear Eagles and they are all superb tires that ride flawlessly and fast and comfortable and no issues over thousands of miles on the exact same roads with the exact same wheels. Though lately I sold off the Zipps for Reynolds Aeros and couldn’t be happier with those too.

And No I did not get a single dollar back - I’ve just decided never to waste another on schwalbe ever again

That’s my experience fwiw

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Dang some grim anecdotes so far.

Well, I got my sacrificial guinea pig hat on. Have a couple pairs of Aerothans on the way, any minute this century now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com