Canyon Aeroad 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Will they offer the CRF as a frameset or just a full build?
Current garage -
S-Works SL7 (sold)
S-Works Aethos - for sale
2021 Cayon Aeroad CFR
Colnago V3Rs
Factor Ostro (coming soon)
Wilier Filante (coming soon)

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

They already do: https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes ... be=BK%2FBK

Even though the price £4,649 is way too high considering it´s basically the same level as previous CF SLX carbon.
If I remember, the CF SLX previous model Aeroad frameset cost about £2600.

by Weenie

tomtom

by tomtom

I think your pound is very weak....the price on the meanland is "only" 4500 euro. The price for the "old" Aeroad Disc was 3000 euro without the SRAM AXS parts....
Canyon Aeroad CFR 2020
Canyon Aeroad SLX Disc 2018

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

You´re right, it´s 4500 euro in europe, not sure why it´s more expensive in UK. Even with the AXS brake kit, it´s much more than previous version.

For me, Canyon always meant perfect bikes for a great price. Today, only perfect bikes. No advantage of buying direct sale anymore.
I´m not saying Venge, SL7, Madone SLR, Timemachine, S5 frames are better, but at least cheaper, even though not direct sale brands.

tomtom

by tomtom

ReactiveE wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:14 pm
You´re right, it´s 4500 euro in europe, not sure why it´s more expensive in UK. Even with the AXS brake kit, it´s much more than previous version.

For me, Canyon always meant perfect bikes for a great price. Today, only perfect bikes. No advantage of buying direct sale anymore.
I´m not saying Venge, SL7, Madone SLR, Timemachine, S5 frames are better, but at least cheaper, even though not direct sale brands.
I think so that Canyon prices went up but are still (much) cheaper than the forementioned versions.... For example: SL7 top modell with DA 9170 is a staggering 12799 euro compared to the 7499 of the Aeroad. That's not even in the same ballpark. The SL7 is imo (much) less inovative and suffers from an "in your face, BMW/Audi quality" that I not especially like 8). The Aeroad (and that goes for a lot of Canyon's) excells in almost all area's also proven in test's. But at a much lower price as his competitor(s)..... But I agree....it is still a LOT of money :shock: !
Canyon Aeroad CFR 2020

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I dont think you can get a CFR Aeroad (top spec) for 7499.. probably less then 12.8 but you need to closer to apples to apples
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

tomtom

by tomtom

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:58 pm
I dont think you can get a CFR Aeroad (top spec) for 7499.. probably less then 12.8 but you need to closer to apples to apples
Maybe first a look/search and then a judgement? See: https://www.canyon.com/nl-nl/road-bikes ... /2452.html. If that is not a top spec you please tell me what is. This bike is (thoroughly) tested by Tour Magazin to be equal to the SL7 of 12K+ euro.
Canyon Aeroad CFR 2020

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

tomtom wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:52 pm
ReactiveE wrote:

I think so that Canyon prices went up but are still (much) cheaper than the forementioned versions.... For example: SL7 top modell with DA 9170 is a staggering 12799 euro compared to the 7499 of the Aeroad. That's not even in the same ballpark. The SL7 is imo (much) less inovative and suffers from an "in your face, BMW/Audi quality" that I not especially like 8). The Aeroad (and that goes for a lot of Canyon's) excells in almost all area's also proven in test's. But at a much lower price as his competitor(s)..... But I agree....it is still a LOT of money :shock: !
I agree, but we were talking about framesets, complete builds are excessively expensive. Quick look over online prices:
/Aeroad: £4,649- with brakeset/
Venge: £3699
Madone: £4000
Timemachine: £3999
S5: £4299
Systemsix: £2999
Propel Advanced SL: £2299

Plus you can get them discounted by 20-30% very often and/or get free service when bought locally. I´d rather see the SL/SLX framesets, and/or CFR frameset without brakes on Canyon´s site, but it won´t happen, unfortunately.
Canyon did good job with new Aeroad, but since I always build my bikes from framesets, my next bike propably won´t be Aeroad.
Last edited by ReactiveE on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

tomtom wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:58 pm
Maybe first a look/search and then a judgement? See: https://www.canyon.com/nl-nl/road-bikes ... /2452.html. If that is not a top spec you please tell me what is. This bike is (thoroughly) tested by Tour Magazin to be equal to the SL7 of 12K+ euro.
not bad.. here in murica.. it's 9k vs 12.3k .. so in your country it's bargain.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

tomtom

by tomtom

The one and only :) comparable frameset would be the SL7 which is 4699 euro (without the SRAM stuff). So again a BIG difference. And as there are almost no SL7 frame sets available you won't get any discount (at least in the Netherlands you won't). But I agree on the very strange choices not to sell a bare frame set and not to sell SL/SLX framesets. On the other hand....they were almost immediately all sold out. So maybe other customers don't care (and also don't care much about the price, weight etc) and Canyon is "right"?
Canyon Aeroad CFR 2020

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

ReactiveE wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:06 pm
tomtom wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:52 pm
ReactiveE wrote:

I agree, but we were talking about framesets, complete builds are excessively expensive. Quick look over online prices:
/Aeroad: £4,649- with brakeset/
Venge: £3699
Madone: £4000
Timemachine: £3999
S5: £4299
Systemsix: £2999
Propel Advanced SL: £2299

Plus you can get them discounted by 20-30% very often and/or get free service when bought locally. I´d rather see the SL/SLX framesets, and/or CFR frameset without brakes on Canyon´s site, but it won´t happen, unfortunately.
Canyon did good job with new Aeroad, but since I always build my bikes from framesets, my next bike propably won´t be Aeroad.
It has always been thus. Canyon's unique value proposition has been the complete bike. It's far cheaper to buy canyon complete with the groupset you want, and then sell/change wheels/saddle on the aftermarket. Hell, if you have a groupset, it's probably cheaper to buy the complete DA model and sell down all the parts as "new" and then rebuild with yours than it is to buy a frameset alone.

It's not like there is a lot of creativity you can apply when building up the bike here. That is generally the case with modern integrated frames, but with the aeroad, even the cockpit choice is completely out of your hands.

tomtom

by tomtom

[/quote]

It has always been thus. Canyon's unique value proposition has been the complete bike. It's far cheaper to buy canyon complete with the groupset you want, and then sell/change wheels/saddle on the aftermarket. Hell, if you have a groupset, it's probably cheaper to buy the complete DA model and sell down all the parts as "new" and then rebuild with yours than it is to buy a frameset alone.

It's not like there is a lot of creativity you can apply when building up the bike here. That is generally the case with modern integrated frames, but with the aeroad, even the cockpit choice is completely out of your hands.
[/quote]

Thought about that but with second hand pricing the difference is not so big and also orderded that version (and cancelled it because of the "old" DT swiss frontwheel). For example the 9170 version:

- wheelset 1250-1500 euro
- DA 9170 1500-1750 euro
- Still ca. 3500 euro for the frameset. And both prices are on the upper end of the secondhand market I see pricing also (much) lower. I have sold a lot of second hand stuff over the years (all over the world) but over a 1000 euro it is not so easy. But pricing of complete bikes is much, much better than framesets that you are right. This is the first frameset I buy new from Canyon without discount and/or in the outlet. Normally I'm a little bit more patient but the new Aeroad took soooooo long to come I fell into the trap :shock: :lol: !
Canyon Aeroad CFR 2020

gitsome

by gitsome

I have not heard a single nice thing about Canyons build quality and tolerances from mechanics who work on them I wonder how much of this is lost on consumers who receive pre built bikes and don’t realize what they e bought until new bottom brackets and bearing are needed or rim brakes can’t be aligned properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

badriver

by badriver

On that note. I hear even worse from other suposed top brands.
Just check Hambini roasts.

by Weenie

Cannoli

by Cannoli

gitsome wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:03 pm
I have not heard a single nice thing about Canyons build quality and tolerances from mechanics who work on them I wonder how much of this is lost on consumers who receive pre built bikes and don’t realize what they e bought until new bottom brackets and bearing are needed or rim brakes can’t be aligned properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a relatively new Canyon owner of an Ultimate SLX and Endurace CF SL (~1 year). Between the two bikes (Ultimate for me and Endurace for my wife), we have over 15k miles on them and haven't had a single problem with either bike. I'm a rather powerful rider (1200W sprint) and throw a lot of power through the bottom bracket of my Ultimate, and never had a creek or squeak at any time. I do all the wrenching on both bikes and never had an issue through my normal preventive maintenance (bearing lube and replacement,etc.).

While I've heard of these tolerance issues from people 10x removed (such as yourself), my personal experience doesn't align with what you (or others) have said. Perhaps I just got lucky twice and have bikes who's tolerances are in spec? Time will tell as I plan to pick up two of the new Aeroad's to add to the stable.