Canyon Aeroad 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

yungillmatic

by yungillmatic

I’ve been lurking this thread for months but I finally received my Aeroad SLX Size L last week, so thought I’d share some initial thoughts.

* Bike was delivered ~1 month earlier than the initial delivery date.
* Handlebar flex is barely noticeable.
* Ride quality is amazing, balance between stiffness and comfort is perfect. (previous bike was an Allez Sprint)
* 4iiii powermeter does not fit.
* Both brakes and front derailleur had to be re-adjusted.

After seeing so much skepticism around the handlebar/stem I was a bit anxious. But I have to say I feel the complete opposite now. It’s an excellent piece of engineering.
IMG_0333.jpeg

otnemem

by otnemem

yungillmatic wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:10 pm
I’ve been lurking this thread for months but I finally received my Aeroad SLX Size L last week, so thought I’d share some initial thoughts.
Weight? :)

by Weenie

badriver

by badriver

Great news.. I cannot wait for stock...
Was it somehow dificult or time consuming to adjust the brakes? Derailleur is somehow automatic right? I remember to see some videos on it.

yungillmatic

by yungillmatic

Bike is currently setup with:
- Wahoo mount (31g)
- Ultegra Pedals (248g)
- Canyon Bottle Cages (2x20g)

Weight out of the box: 7.70kg
With above components: 8.02kg

Took me a few youtube videos to understand how to adjust the brakes but wasn't too bad. Front derailleur involved adjusting H/L screws.

badriver

by badriver

OK, so as expected, Canyon is fairly accurate with the provided weight.
Well, it seems I will have to see some more videos about brakes. Meanwhile I refreshing youtube everyday to see unboxings :oops:

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

That's a beast!!!

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Cubist

by Cubist

badriver wrote:
MOSmilli wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:18 am
Cannoli wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:30 am
Cubist wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:59 pm
That’s definitely not a featherweight! This is putting me off getting one...
You have no idea what peddles, bottle cages, mount, or sensors he put on the bike. Best bet is for someone to weigh the bike WITHOUT all the extras (or just trust what Canyon has claimed). Spec your own peddles, etc. and add up the weight of the accessories YOU plan to run.
Indeed. Sorry for my laziness :roll:

Shimano Ultegra Pedals @ 248gr
2 x Tacx Ciro @ 58gr
Garmin Mount @ 31gr
Garmin Sensors @ idk

So, doing the math it is 290gr diference from the figure from Canyon. And their 7,6kg are for size M and your bike is L.
Doesn't sound so bad..
A road bike over 8kgs never sounds good to me ;)

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Cubist wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:10 pm
badriver wrote:
MOSmilli wrote:
Cannoli wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:30 am

You have no idea what peddles, bottle cages, mount, or sensors he put on the bike. Best bet is for someone to weigh the bike WITHOUT all the extras (or just trust what Canyon has claimed). Spec your own peddles, etc. and add up the weight of the accessories YOU plan to run.

2 x Tacx Ciro @ 58gr
Garmin Mount @ 31gr
Garmin Sensors @ idk

So, doing the math it is 290gr diference from the figure from Canyon. And their 7,6kg are for size M and your bike is L.
Doesn't sound so bad..
Not to me if they cost under £1000 :)
Bikes are getting heavier, uglier and more expensive

Discodan

by Discodan

Roadrocket wrote:
Cubist wrote:
badriver wrote:
MOSmilli wrote:

2 x Tacx Ciro @ 58gr
Garmin Mount @ 31gr
Garmin Sensors @ idk

Doesn't sound so bad..
And faster

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

doktoroste

by doktoroste

yungillmatic wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:13 pm
Took me a few youtube videos to understand how to adjust the brakes but wasn't too bad. Front derailleur involved adjusting H/L screws.
Congrats on your new Aeroad! The black version looks very neat. What exactly was the problem with the brakes and how did you adjust it? And did your front derailleur also rub in higher gears?

doktoroste

by doktoroste

TerryDi2C wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:20 am
In theory you can put it anywhere.

Shimano say it must be outside the frame, since having it inside the frame/handlebars can cause signal strength issues.

In 99.9999% of the cases it's just fine to put it inside the frame or handlebar / stem though. On both my bikes I put it in the left bar-end/drop. Personally I have never installed the unit outside the frame.

You do not have to both ends of the EW-WU111, that's up to you.

My setup looks like this (everything through handlebar):
That's exactly what I needed to know, thanks so much! Perfectly explained with the image.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

yungillmatic wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:10 pm
I’ve been lurking this thread for months but I finally received my Aeroad SLX Size L last week...

Forgot to say congratulations on the new Aeroad! :beerchug:

brusknl

by brusknl

doktoroste wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:45 am
yungillmatic wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:13 pm
Congrats on your new Aeroad! The black version looks very neat. What exactly was the problem with the brakes and how did you adjust it? And did your front derailleur also rub in higher gears?
Had some brake rub on the front side. Undo bolts, press lever and tighten the bolts fixed it.

And I needed to adjust both rear and front derailleur to get it perfect. Just check the Shimano manual online if you need to know how.

Mostly limit screws and then some fine tuning in adjustment mode with the levers. Now it shifts perfect and no more chain rub in higher gears.

Another thing I noticed, I recently lowered the handle bar to the lowest position, and removed the spacers.

But got some play in the headset that returned twice already after a ride. Today I'm going for another ride, lets see if the play returns or not.

Barely noticeable during ride, but afterwards when you apply the front brake and "wiggle" the bike back/front you notice it... will keep you updated!

/update
It came with headset play when it got delivered, so make sure to check it!

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Discodan wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:29 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
Cubist wrote:
badriver wrote:

Doesn't sound so bad..
And faster

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Are you sure? Let me fix it. Bikes are getting heavier, uglier, slower and more expensive :)

Cervelo S5 vs. Cervelo S5 - old S5 is 1w faster
S-Works Venge ViAS vs. S-Works Venge - old Venge is 4w faster
Trek Madone vs.Trek Madone SLR - old Madone is 8w faster

About Aeroad, the former scored at 208w and I really doubt new version will be faster. Slight improvement, if any, may come from hidden cables ( although didn´t work with Cervelo S5).

by Weenie

calleking

by calleking

As far as I understood they managed to make the new Aeroad 8W faster @ 45km/h across different yaw angles but dialed it back to 4,5W because it was lacking some comfort/other properties. It's not a revolution by any means.
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Focus Mares CX 8050