Canyon Aeroad 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

jasjas

by jasjas

Wonder how much of that 4.4w (with rider) saving is down to those 62mm wheels?

Nice looking bike.

Stueys

by Stueys

I'm guessing that the handlebar design is more to facilitate Canyon posting pre-built bikes out in cardboard boxes than anything else. Once you go fully integrated with discs you have a challenge. Nice solution for putting the bike in a bike box though.

by Weenie

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Stueys wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:33 pm
I'm guessing that the handlebar design is more to facilitate Canyon posting pre-built bikes out in cardboard boxes than anything else. Once you go fully integrated with discs you have a challenge. Nice solution for putting the bike in a bike box though.
I hardly doubt there was another reason for it. I actually expect the cockpits for pros to be one piece.

sigma

by sigma

JayDee81 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:00 pm
Do I understand correctly, that the handlebar height adjustment is just 15 mm?
I think I will need some explanation on this. 15mm of adjustment. Medium frame stack = 560mm. Stack + = 641mm. So I am not sure how to interpret either the reach or stack plus numbers.
S-works Tarmac SL6
S-Works Venge
Factor VAM 02 disc
Trek Domane 2016 SLR
Cervelo C5 2018
Open U.P. gravel 2016

Retired
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod 2016 (miss it very much)
Cervelo S3 2015
Cervelo R5 2012
Cervelo S2 2011

Lima

by Lima

In the bikeradar video they mentioned that the newer DT Swiss wheels will start shipping specced on the bike from early 2021, I assume would be the same for the Boras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NordicSal

by NordicSal

https://www.swissside.com/blogs/news/wi ... ImBf9Yzgho

Swiss Swide were part of the delvopment team it seems.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

sigma wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:42 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
I think I will need some explanation on this. 15mm of adjustment. Medium frame stack = 560mm. Stack + = 641mm. So I am not sure how to interpret either the reach or stack plus numbers.
Here's the explanation from Daniel Heyder, one of the product engineers behind Canyon's Grail CF bike:

Stack+ describes the vertical distance between the bottom bracket and the contact point on the TOP of the handlebar tops .

Reach+ describes the horizontal distance from the bottom bracket to the CENTRE of the handlebar tops.

This system enables the comparison of each road bike, while taking all relevant measurements into account (spacer count supplied, cockpit angle, stem length etc).

For example, the Grail CF ships with 15mm (1x 5 mm, 1x 10mm) of headset spacers, whereas an Ultimate or Endurace ships with 27mm of spacers (2x 10mm, 1x 5mm and 1x 2mm) plus a 10mm headset top cover.

Source: https://road.cc/content/feature/what-ar ... ant-266968

sigma

by sigma

JayDee81 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:48 pm
sigma wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:42 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
Here's the explanation from Daniel Heyder, one of the product engineers behind Canyon's Grail CF bike:

Stack+ describes the vertical distance between the bottom bracket and the contact point on the TOP of the handlebar tops .

Reach+ describes the horizontal distance from the bottom bracket to the CENTRE of the handlebar tops.

This system enables the comparison of each road bike, while taking all relevant measurements into account (spacer count supplied, cockpit angle, stem length etc).

For example, the Grail CF ships with 15mm (1x 5 mm, 1x 10mm) of headset spacers, whereas an Ultimate or Endurace ships with 27mm of spacers (2x 10mm, 1x 5mm and 1x 2mm) plus a 10mm headset top cover.

Source: https://road.cc/content/feature/what-ar ... ant-266968
That's really helpful. Thank you!
S-works Tarmac SL6
S-Works Venge
Factor VAM 02 disc
Trek Domane 2016 SLR
Cervelo C5 2018
Open U.P. gravel 2016

Retired
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod 2016 (miss it very much)
Cervelo S3 2015
Cervelo R5 2012
Cervelo S2 2011

Cubist

by Cubist

Is there no frameset without Sram brakes and levers???

maxim809

by maxim809

Man, really interesting...

1. I'm glad to hear in the interview that Canyon claimed they focused on balancing out the handling in the v2 2021 Aeroad. I'm only looking at the smaller frames, but so far I see a barely steeper HTA and shorter chain stay, which to me are great changes to the long bus-like v1 Aeroad. Would love to know what the trail/rake has been changed to... guess these will have to be measured by customers in the future. Overall I'm happy to see the direction they went here.

2. I think it's cool they're shipping with GP5k's as standard.

3. Maybe I need to warm up to it, but the v1 Aeroad looked way, way cooler with its sharp thin lines, straight TT, and emphasized paint around the rear wheel well. The v2 at first blush looks chunky, rotund and... mostly figureless. But hey, dialed rotundness tests faster in the wind tunnel I guess!

4. I'd like to know if it's possible for ordinary customers to purchase the more aggressive 'pro' version frame...

5. Canyon should invent a bike bag that optimizes for its new folding handlebars. Maybe it's in the pipeline. Nothing beats the feeling of being the most optimized, super-aero narrow profile bike bag at the airport checkin counter. Never a wasted opportunity to psyche others out while standing still.
2013 Cannondale Synapse | 2015 LaPierre Pulsium | 2016 Pinarello Dogma F8 | 2016 Bianchi XR4 | 2019 Spesh Sprint

JayDee81

by JayDee81

maxim809 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:15 pm
Man, really interesting...

1. I'm glad to hear in the interview that Canyon claimed they focused on balancing out the handling in the v2 2021 Aeroad. I'm only looking at the smaller frames, but so far I see a barely steeper HTA and shorter chain stay, which to me are great changes to the long bus-like v1 Aeroad. Would love to know what the trail/rake has been changed to... guess these will have to be measured by customers in the future. Overall I'm happy to see the direction they went here.

2. I think it's cool they're shipping with GP5k's as standard.

3. Maybe I need to warm up to it, but the v1 Aeroad looked way, way cooler with its sharp thin lines, straight TT, and emphasized paint around the rear wheel well. The v2 at first blush looks chunky, rotund and... mostly figureless. But hey, dialed rotundness tests faster in the wind tunnel I guess!

4. I'd like to know if it's possible for ordinary customers to purchase the more aggressive 'pro' version frame...

5. Canyon should invent a bike bag that optimizes for its new folding handlebars. Maybe it's in the pipeline. Nothing beats the feeling of being the most optimized, super-aero narrow profile bike bag at the airport checkin counter. Never a wasted opportunity to psyche others out while standing still.
To the point #4, there is no pro version frame, only the handlebar. They said it has -17° stem.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I hope they will send all Sram equipped framesets to US and release bare frameset for EU.
Domane
Speed Concept
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

What exactly are the wheels? On the German page it says, that the Dura Ace comes with a front wheel that is 17mm internal, while the rear wheel is 20mm interval. The Red AXS version comes with 17mm internal width on both wheels. 17mm would be the old DTSwiss/Swiss Side Wheel, which I'd be very (negatively) surprises by. Any idea what's going on here?
Cervélo S5 Disc (2019) - 7.8kg
Open WI.DE (2019) - 8.5kg
Specialized Shiv TT Disc (2020) - 7.9kg
Specialized SW Æthos (2021) 6.4kg
Trek Émonda SLR9 (2021) 6.9kg

*all weights include pedals, computer mounts, speed sensor, and bottle cages.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:33 pm
What exactly are the wheels? On the German page it says, that the Dura Ace comes with a front wheel that is 17mm internal, while the rear wheel is 20mm interval. The Red AXS version comes with 17mm internal width on both wheels. 17mm would be the old DTSwiss/Swiss Side Wheel, which I'd be very (negatively) surprises by. Any idea what's going on here?
Go check at the spec at Canyons web.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

surely the pros won't be racing on those tentpole bars right? surely they'll have an OTS conventional bar?

pretty happy i didn't wait and went with parlee RZ7 instead...
Last edited by FactoryMatt on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie