New S-Phyres - rc902

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:06 pm
Cattie wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:50 pm
I wished that at least one manufacturer would make foot shaped shoes like Altra does in the running business. How hard can it be? All that talk about marginal gains, and a healthy foot is completely left out of the equation.
Exactly. Not everyone wants to risk a bunion in order to ride a bike in cycling shoes!
Yup.

I have bolloxed my right foot wearing too narrow shoes for too long cycling.

It's my own fault, but even so!!

Cubist

by Cubist

I own the RC901. Pretty roomy in the front. Much wider than Fizik for example. I have flat and wide feet and have the regular version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pierre86

by Pierre86

Cattie wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:50 pm
I wished that at least one manufacturer would make foot shaped shoes like Altra does in the running business. How hard can it be? All that talk about marginal gains, and a healthy foot is completely left out of the equation.
What like bonts of dlkiller/luigino?
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Is there anyone here who owns S-Phyre (current and previous versions) one and S-Works 7s? How do they compare fit wise?

I have S-Works 7s and not super happy with them especially when I get out of the saddle or sprinting. It always feels like my foot is moving inside the shoes even tho I have the narrow one and I tighten the BOAs to the max. I am thinking about giving these a try but would love to hear if anyone owns them both.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

DCcyclist wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:30 am
Is there anyone here who owns S-Phyre (current and previous versions) one and S-Works 7s? How do they compare fit wise?

I have S-Works 7s and not super happy with them especially when I get out of the saddle or sprinting. It always feels like my foot is moving inside the shoes even tho I have the narrow one and I tighten the BOAs to the max. I am thinking about giving these a try but would love to hear if anyone owns them both.
I have been a long time S-Works user but just could not make the S-Works 7s work for me. From the very first ride I had a painful pressure point under the lower BOA dial on my right foot and the top of the tongues on both shoes felt like saw blades cutting into the fronts of my skinny ankles.

I have a pair of new S-Phyre RC-902s coming this Tuesday. I will let you know how they compare in fit after I receive them. I'm hoping they work out because my S-Works 6s have over 1,500 hours on them and they are getting very tired.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

DCcyclist wrote:

I went from S-Phyres (RC-900) to S-Works 7. I have a very duck like foot, low volume, narrow heel and very wide forefoot. The Shimano's eventually stretched to where they were comfortable but they never felt locked in, it was almost as if no matter how tight the dials I always felt like I could pull my foot out. The s-works 7 were literally made for my feet, locked and and comfortable, the large toe box allowed my feet to swell in the heat without getting tight. I am tempted to buy another pair as back up in case the s-works 8's don't work for me.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:17 am
DCcyclist wrote:

I have been a long time S-Works user but just could not make the S-Works 7s work for me. From the very first ride I had a painful pressure point under the lower BOA dial on my right foot and the top of the tongues on both shoes felt like saw blades cutting into the fronts of my skinny ankles.

I have a pair of new S-Phyre RC-902s coming this Tuesday. I will let you know how they compare in fit after I receive them. I'm hoping they work out because my S-Works 6s have over 1,500 hours on them and they are getting very tired.
Thank you. I have a pair of 6s as well and I find myself grabbing them every time I'm about to go to a fast ride. Just wish they were a little wider.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:34 am
DCcyclist wrote:

I went from S-Phyres (RC-900) to S-Works 7. I have a very duck like foot, low volume, narrow heel and very wide forefoot. The Shimano's eventually stretched to where they were comfortable but they never felt locked in, it was almost as if no matter how tight the dials I always felt like I could pull my foot out. The s-works 7 were literally made for my feet, locked and and comfortable, the large toe box allowed my feet to swell in the heat without getting tight. I am tempted to buy another pair as back up in case the s-works 8's don't work for me.
Good for you my friend. It seems like there's only one way to learn if these shoes really fit. Will try to find if there's a dealer nearby.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Still waiting to hear from anyone rocking a pair yet.

Really want to know width compard to Sworks 7.

Zappano

by Zappano

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:38 am

Got mine today (size 42). I'm also using two S-Works 7 shoes (normal and vent) in size 42. The s-phyre is narrower and pretty uncomfortable on the small toe because the toe box gets narrow too fast. I have to send mine back. Maybe the wide version would be good but I have a very narrow heel and maybe it would be too wide then.
S-Works Tarmac SL7
S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc (6.6kg)
S-Works Tarmac SL6 Rim (6.8kg)
S-Works Epic HT (8.8kg)
Scott Addict Gravel Tuned

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Zappano wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:23 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:38 am

Got mine today (size 42). I'm also using two S-Works 7 shoes (normal and vent) in size 42. The s-phyre is narrower and pretty uncomfortable on the small toe because the toe box gets narrow too fast. I have to send mine back. Maybe the wide version would be good but I have a very narrow heel and maybe it would be too wide then.
I was worried about this.

Same as the rc9 then, as I had that exact issues!

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Many thanks.

It's a no from me then!

tacostand

by tacostand

Can anyone give some guidance with Shimano fit and if the size chart on their website is reliable?

I wear a US size 11.5-12 in running shoes. My current older model Specialized shoes (from 2006?) are size 45. From the size chart on the Shimano site, looks like I would wear a 46.5. I've never worn anything as big as 46.5, but maybe that's just how they size their shoes? I'm planning on ordering the new s-phyre as well as the S-works 7 to compare fit. I could order multiple pairs of the Shimanos but hoping to get it right by the size chart.

I've been happy with the fit on my Specialized but would like to try something without the built in Varus wedge.

Thanks!

js

by js

My Nike runners & b-ball shoes are 11.5 or 12, depedning on the model. I previously had S-Works 5 shoes in a 45.5 size that were perfect. I found the S-Works 6 a bit more snug in a 45.5. My Shimano Tri shoes are 45.5 and I'm glad I never need to wear socks inside them. I have S-Phyre road and mtb shoes in a size 46 that offer me a very good fit. Based on what you've said, if I could only guess on one size, I'd order the 46's, not the 46.5's. That said, if you're likely to wonder if the half size up may be better, then it could still be worth getting both, so you know for sure. I hope that helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com