New S-Phyres - rc902

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Got these about a month ago. Already sold as they just dont work for me and going back to my Bonts and Sidis. Yes, I can wear both but prefer Sidis.

I have had every new issue of Shimano shoes when they come out. I'm always so excited to try them out but they just dont work for me. From digging in to my 5th metatarsal, pain across my instep and horrible pain on the ball of foot that causes numbness within 20 min of my ride. Even in a wide version and with my own custom insoles they are excruciating.

My current stable of shoes include, Bont Vaypor S and Bont Zero + shoes in 46. Sidis I have Sidi Shot 1s and Sidi Sixtys bit in 45.5 in standard width. Sidis are my favorites by far and the Bonts usually collect dust. There was a time I had at least six or seven pairs of Bonts from basic white to custom and most never even worn, but have done a decent job not being a shoe freak any longer. I usually just wear my Shots.

I have the new Sidi Shot 2s coming in soon and I'll share my thoughts on them as well.

For those who asked about Specialized; I can wear the new Sworks 7 all day in comfort in a size 45.5. The Shimanos are a little small on me in a 45.5 and slightly too large in a 46. Just can't win with Shimano I guess. Really nice product but definitely not the shoes for me. I was also let down with the anthracite grey heel cup too when I recieved them in the mail. I wish they would have done the light Silver like on the RC901 or white.

251 grams each without insole in a 46. Not too shabby. Only reason I have photos is because I took them for the ad to sell. I did find the way the upper wraps around the sold odd. I am pretty careful when clipping in as not to hit the pedal and scratch the carbon or hit the arch area of the shoe. However, I can see this area becoming very damaged for those that are not careful.
20201024_142138.jpg
20201024_142122.jpg
20201024_142106.jpg
Last edited by spinwax on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

spinwax wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:18 am
Got these about a month ago. Already sold as they just dont work for me and going back to my Bonts and Sidis. Yes, I can wear both but prefer Sidis.

I have had every new issue of Shimano shoes when they come out. I'm always so excited to try them out but they just dont work for me. From digging in to my 5th metatarsal, pain across my instep and horrible pain on the ball of foot that causes numbness within 20 min of my ride. Even in a wide version and with my own custom insoles they are excruciating.

My current stable of shoes include, Bont Vaypor S and Bont Zero + shoes in 46. Sidis I have Sidi Shot 1s and Sidi Sixtys bit in 45.5 in standard width. Sidis are my favorites by far and the Bonts usually collect dust. There was a time I had at least six or seven pairs of Bonts from basic white to custom and most never even worn, but have done a decent job not being a shoe freak any longer. I usually just wear my Shots.

I have the new Sidi Shot 2s coming in soon and I'll share my thoughts on them as well.

For those who asked about Specialized; I can wear the new Sworks 7 all day in comfort in a size 45.5. The Shimanos are a little small on me in a 45.5 and slightly too large in a 46. Just can't win with Shimano I guess. Really nice product but definitely not the shoes for me. I was also let down with the anthracite grey heel cup too when I recieved them in the mail. I wish they would have done the light Silver like on the RC901 or white.

251 grams each without insole in a 46. Not too shabby. Only reason I have photos of them is because I took them for the ad to sell them. I did find the way the upper wraps around the sold odd. I am pretty careful when clipping in as not to hit the pedal and scratch the carbon or hit the arch area of the shoe. However, I can see this area becoming very damaged for those that are not careful.20201024_142138.jpg20201024_142122.jpg20201024_142106.jpg
Amazing that you get on ok with Bont AND Sidi.

I have 105mm wide feet and love my bonts, but sidis made me literally cry after a few miles. Real tears of pain!!

guyc

by guyc

I hated the Shots myself. The dial on the top was terrible for me. I found the heel cup on the 7's bad after a couple of months where it really dug into the base of my ankle.

Not sure why you'd try every single Shimano when not one has ever worked though.

The 901's, along with the current Bontrager XXX, are the most comfortable shoes I've worn.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I received my pair in white this week, and I am a little worried about the ventilation holes around the toe-area. They look a little...clogged actually, or not well perforated. My shoes look the same as the ones Spinwax posted on top of the page, but all the photo's I can find on the interweb show bigger and more open holes on the toe-box. I am curious how other owners shoes look.

To give you an example, all the photo's online show the shoe like this:

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

guyc wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:36 am
I hated the Shots myself. The dial on the top was terrible for me. I found the heel cup on the 7's bad after a couple of months where it really dug into the base of my ankle.

Not sure why you'd try every single Shimano when not one has ever worked though.

The reason I love the Shots is due to where the dials are placed. They pretty much eliminated any pressure on my instep no matter how hard I crank them down; plus there is nothing like Sidi quality IMHO.

I have some good connections to get new stuff so trying a pair of shoes usually isnt costly so I always say "why not?". I like Shimano stuff and the way it looks so I keep hoping a pair will fit well, but it's usually a no go.

Robius

by Robius

Did anyone use both a top end Shimano and a Giro shoe? I have a pair of Empire SLX right now which I love but I'm really digging these white rc902s.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

akaspin

by akaspin

spinwax wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:18 am

251 grams each without insole in a 46. Not too shabby. Only reason I have photos is because I took them for the ad to sell. I did find the way the upper wraps around the sold odd. I am pretty careful when clipping in as not to hit the pedal and scratch the carbon or hit the arch area of the shoe. However, I can see this area becoming very damaged for those that are not careful.20201024_142138.jpg20201024_142122.jpg20201024_142106.jpg
Is it possible for you to measure heel-to-ball/heel-to-toe ratio for S-Phyre?

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Sjoerd wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:33 pm
I received my pair in white this week, and I am a little worried about the ventilation holes around the toe-area. They look a little...clogged actually, or not well perforated. My shoes look the same as the ones Spinwax posted on top of the page, but all the photo's I can find on the interweb show bigger and more open holes on the toe-box. I am curious how other owners shoes look.

To give you an example, all the photo's online show the shoe like this:

There is the factory bunched up paper stuffed in my shoes; toes look exactly like the photo you posted with the paper removed. :)

akaspin wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:53 pm

Is it possible for you to measure heel-to-ball/heel-to-toe ratio for S-Phyre?
I apologize, I have already sold the shoes so I can't take a measurement for you. One thing I can say is, I have never had a shoe that I could move the cleat so far back on. Being used to Sidi where they don't allow the cleat to be moved back very far to Bonts which allow quite a bit of movement the Shimanos allow the most adjustment aft that I have seen with any shoes I have owned.

As for Sidis not allowing the cleat to be moved back I do know the new Sidi Shot II allows further aft movement. I am looking forward to this as I like my cleats far back on the shoe.

SGL87

by SGL87

Received my RC902's today, haven't ridden them yet but they are noticeably narrower than my RC901's which is pretty disappointing since the RC901 is the perfect shoe for me. Looks like they went more towards an S-Work 7 shape.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

guyc wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:36 am

The 901's, along with the current Bontrager XXX, are the most comfortable shoes I've worn.
I had the same problem with Specialized digging into my ankles. I have the 6 and heard that they improved this on the 7, but I don't think so after trying them on and now you just confirmed it. Great shoe otherwise but I will never buy it.
I am having good luck with my Gaerne G.Stilo+, very comfortable, well made and holding up much better than specialized after a few years.
I really like Sidi's but they don't fit me, too narrow in the forefoot.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

SGL87 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:36 am
Received my RC902's today, haven't ridden them yet but they are noticeably narrower than my RC901's which is pretty disappointing since the RC901 is the perfect shoe for me. Looks like they went more towards an S-Work 7 shape.
I have both the RC902's (only tried them on) and the S-Works 7 (ridden them for about a year) but the fit feels totally different for me. The RC902 is narrower, feels shorter in the same size and is less roomy in the toe box. I find it hard to make a decision wether to keep the Shimano's or to send them back. I have one more week to think about it :D

KCookie

by KCookie

My LBS will have my red 902s in the next few weeks. I currently have 2 pairs of the 901s in wide and love the fit.
After seeing these comments im getting a little worried that these won't be as good as fit as I liked.
Dont understand why they would change the sizing. I assumed the fit would be the same as the 901s with just a change to the outer shoe.
Have you guys got the normal or wide version.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I have the normal version. I've always considered myself to have narrow feet but I am having doubts after trying on the RC902's.

As always, it is tricky to compare a well worn-in pair of cycling shoes to a pair that come straight out of the box. I wasn't too excited about the S-Works 7's when I first tried them on, but I've come to like them quite a bit. Before that I had the S-Works 6 and looking back, they fit me the best I think.

Js2

by Js2

Concurred with the finding from cyclingtips and people here. The 902 fit is closer to the S works 7. I ended up returning my pair, just comparing it side by side you can see the major difference in mid foot width.

Looks like I might need to try the same size but in the wide configuration. Or just stock up on heavily discounted RC901 :beerchug:

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

As I mentioned in my last post in this thread, long-time S-Works user here. Fit changes that were made to the S-Works 7 caused me to consider the new RC902.

I've always worn a size 44 (283 mm) in each generation of the S-Works shoe. The S-Works 6 was a good shoe for me. I have a narrow heel, very high arch and instep, and an average D-width forefoot.

I ordered a 44.5 (282 mm) and a 45 (285 mm) in the RC-902. The 44.5 was too short; my toes were crammed in the toe box. The 45 ended up being the right size for me, so I can confirm that Shimano's size chart is accurate in terms of US size conversion because I measure US Men's 10.5.

I haven't ridden with the 902's yet, but here are some initial observations on fit:

- Certainly not the clamped in feeling of the S-Works 6 at the heel, but very good heel retention nonetheless
- A nice "wrapped" snug and secure fit around the mid-foot. I like the way that the shoe design and Boa dial positioning on the 902 provides for precise and even feeling tension adjustments. The shoe is very comfortable over my high instep
- While I liked the Boa hardware on the S-Works 7, I was not a fan of the height of the dials on that shoe
- The 902 has a slightly narrower and a more tapered toe box than the S-Works 6 or 7. While this works fine for my D width foot, I can see how those with wider feet than mine may need some more toe box width. The toe box height is fine for me and provides enough room for some toe movement
- I'll be using a Solestar or G8 footbed in the shoes, but I have to say that the stock Shimano insole with the higher arch piece attached is decent.
- I don't need the varus wedge that's built into the S-Works shoes, so the 902 will work well for me in that regard
- Overall, I like the fit and feel of the 902. It's a very secure yet comfortable fit for my feet right out of the box
- The quality of materials used and construction appear to be very good, but time will tell how the 902 holds up

I'll post again once I have put some ride time on the 902's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com