New S-Phyres - rc902

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Pabloldv wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:00 pm
coming from Giro Empire SLX in size 43, what size would you recommend on these? 43, 43.5, 44??

giro are 27.5cm as size table
shimano are 27.2

won’t they be too small?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pabloldv wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:19 pm

giro are 27.5cm as size table
shimano are 27.2

won’t they be too small?

I wear EU 44.5 in Giro and Shimano (282mm), but EU 44 in Specialized (283mm). The chart you are looking at has EU 44 Giros at 285mm, which is very wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Do the 902 have any built in arch in the sole? I mean the carbon sole. I think I saw someone claim that somewhere.

I'm thinking of trying them in 45 wide instead of 44. Maybe they will be wide enough. But I don't know if the length will be an issue. I'm just trying to talk myself into these despite everyone saying they are so narrow.🙂
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Anybody who can confirm that the S-works 7 shoe is wider in toebox than 902?
Thanks

AndySti

by AndySti

Pinguin wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:11 pm
Anybody who can confirm that the S-works 7 shoe is wider in toebox than 902?
Thanks
Yes, I have both and the S-works 7 is wider than the 902 in the toe box. I don't know if I could quantify it but I certainly feel it. Much more material bunching on the S-works than my 902. I have 42.5 in S-works and 43 in 902.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I went and tried the S phyres in a store yesterday. I tried on regular in 44 and 44,5. They only had wide in 43 so I tried those as well. The 43 wide felt about the same widthwise as 44 regular. The 44 which is my size didn't feel that terrible in width, but I won't know until I try them on the bike. I'm probably just kidding myself though. I just want them to work.

I compared S works 7 and S phyre in 44 side by side and the toebox looked and feels similar to me. The midfoot looks and feels noticeably wider on the Shimanos though, which is where I have issues.

To answer my own question, they didn't seem to have any arch built in to the sole. Maybe a little but nothing I felt. So I ordered a pair of S phyre 902 in 44 wide.

For context. My left foot is 106 mm wide and right 109mm. Length 273mm. Although I never have issues with pointy toeboxes, since my foot shape is quite pointy even though they are wide.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:32 am

For context. My left foot is 106 mm wide and right 109mm. Length 273mm. Although I never have issues with pointy toeboxes, since my foot shape is quite pointy even though they are wide.

Surprised the 44 felt better than the 44.5 at 273mm foot length. The last on the 44 is only 278mm

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:39 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:

Surprised the 44 felt better than the 44.5 at 273mm foot length. The last on the 44 is only 278mm
Yeah I know. 278 seems to be the sweet spot for me. It's exactly perfect in length. The RC7, RC 901 and RC 300 I have tried before all fit in 44. From all the cycling shoes I tried and had, Shimanos have been the only ones that have been just perfect lengthwise.

Lakes are different in that they state a range from 276.5 to 280 in 44 for example. I'm guessing that maybe most shoes differ some millimeter in reality.

It could maybe depend on the shape of the forefoot. My feet are relatively pointy and I believe that might be the reason why I need less length, since my feet go all the way to the front of the shoe. That's my theory at least.
I have wide feet but I've never had that much of an issue with pointy toeboxes, as long as they are wide enough at the balls of the feet and midfoot.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:18 pm

It could maybe depend on the shape of the forefoot. My feet are relatively pointy and I believe that might be the reason why I need less length, since my feet go all the way to the front of the shoe. That's my theory at least.

Yeah, I was very much thinking the same. I need about 1cm extra length because my toes don't taper as much, especially on the big toe side. Sidi Mega don't work for you?

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Roadbiker10 wrote:
I went and tried the S phyres in a store yesterday. I tried on regular in 44 and 44,5. They only had wide in 43 so I tried those as well. The 43 wide felt about the same widthwise as 44 regular. The 44 which is my size didn't feel that terrible in width, but I won't know until I try them on the bike. I'm probably just kidding myself though. I just want them to work.

I compared S works 7 and S phyre in 44 side by side and the toebox looked and feels similar to me. The midfoot looks and feels noticeably wider on the Shimanos though, which is where I have issues.

To answer my own question, they didn't seem to have any arch built in to the sole. Maybe a little but nothing I felt. So I ordered a pair of S phyre 902 in 44 wide.

Have your 902s arrived yet and how are they with your wide feet?

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:35 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:18 pm

Yeah, I was very much thinking the same. I need about 1cm extra length because my toes don't taper as much, especially on the big toe side. Sidi Mega don't work for you?
That's probably it. I have never tried Sidi. I had a pair of Sidi Dragon briefly in 45 but they were too big anyway so they were normal in width I believe.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

tommyboyo wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:58 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:

Yeah I got them earlier this week but I haven't had time to write. They are narrow obviously but it does feel like the extra material does actually help.

The thing is that as the pain has subsided, now narrower shoes don't feel that bad, and I am beginning to think that narrow cycling shoes aren't the cause of my pain. So does my doctor. It seems the curved sole with built in arch is more of a problem. Since the 241 definitely cause me pain. Someone wrote that the 902 also have a built in arch in the sole but I am not feeling that at all.

The S phyres actually feel ok although I don't know how it would be when on the bike and putting pressure through them. I mean, they feel narrow but I don't feel the pain when trying them on.

Here is the approximate width I measured:
2E1D6F37-D8DE-4FEA-952F-B5C0835730D7.jpeg
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:33 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

Yeah I got them earlier this week but I haven't had time to write. They are narrow obviously but it does feel like the extra material does actually help.

The thing is that as the pain has subsided, now narrower shoes don't feel that bad, and I am beginning to think that narrow cycling shoes aren't the cause of my pain. So does my doctor. It seems the curved sole with built in arch is more of a problem. Since the 241 definitely cause me pain. Someone wrote that the 902 also have a built in arch in the sole but I am not feeling that at all.

The S phyres actually feel ok although I don't know how it would be when on the bike and putting pressure through them. I mean, they feel narrow but I don't feel the pain when trying them on.

I bought some cheap from Europe the other day.

Have similar width feet to you (slightly narrower though), so will be interesting to see. Think I can probably sell without making much of a loss if required, so rolling the dice as well.

I think width is not always the holy grail that some people think it is, as I have ridden super wide and super narrow shoes that cause the exact same issues in my problem foot!!

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

tommyboyo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:30 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:33 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

I bought some cheap from Europe the other day.

Have similar width feet to you (slightly narrower though), so will be interesting to see. Think I can probably sell without making much of a loss if required, so rolling the dice as well.

I think width is not always the holy grail that some people think it is, as I have ridden super wide and super narrow shoes that cause the exact same issues in my problem foot!!
Yeah I got mine from Bike Components for 300 euros, that's a good price. I'm getting a pair of Giro Imperials in the mail today so I'll see which ones I keep.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

my wife has super narrow feet and she's in standard width 901s, yet she still gets wicked hot foot periodically. Scrunching up toes is definitely not a good thing, but foot pain seems to often be a complicated issue.