Stiffest QR Skewer?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ultradog

by Ultradog

I ride a QR rear disc Dogma F8. When I'm out of the saddle I occasionally experience rotor rub. I figured its because the axle is flexing somewhat. I have TA front with a Carbon Ti axle and it works fine. The rear is the issue.

To reduce the flex, I wondered what the best QR axle would be in terms of stiffness. I've heard the 9100 DA QR is very stiff. Any other suggestions?

I'm currently running Enve Ti 135mm.

Thanks,
Mike

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

DA is the best, Campy is also very good.
Look for internal cam QR with steel axles. The external ones are garbage.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

You have a frameset with QR rear and thru-axle front? Never seen one of those before.

I don't think the QR contributes very much to the stiffness of the axle, but a steel one would be less flexible than ti. Shimano, Campag etc rather than ultra-light QRs

peted76

by peted76

Don't skimp on skewers! A cheap lightweight skewer will encourage wheel rub on rim brakes. As the above poster says, look at internal cam QR's. Can't go wrong with a Campy or DA one, I'm sure there's lighter more exotic ones available.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Lightweight skewers have steel rods at only 50gr or thereabout.

Probably not as stiff as duraace but a jump up from titanium.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Enve Ti are very flexy, the Mavic made newer ones are better but still nowhere as stiff as Shimano and Campy... I also have an older disc brake road bike with QR, originally it had Enve Ti junk, I put standard Mavic QR I had laying around and that helped, the rear was not an issue with those in my case but the front still was.

Eventually I tried DT RWS Ti skewers which are basically bolt-ons but with a lever so still toolless and it helped tremendously, I would guess the steel version would be even stiffer but the weight is still better than Shimano/Campy and they are sold individually if you only need the rear.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broady

by Broady

Dura Ace are great, I run them with disc qr, no issues.

abatty

by abatty

DA as already recommended. Always got movement within dropouts with external cam skewers until moving to Ultegra/DA skewers.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:07 pm
Enve Ti are very flexy, the Mavic made newer ones are better but still nowhere as stiff as Shimano and Campy... I also have an older disc brake road bike with QR, originally it had Enve Ti junk, I put standard Mavic QR I had laying around and that helped, the rear was not an issue with those in my case but the front still was.

Eventually I tried DT RWS Ti skewers which are basically bolt-ons but with a lever so still toolless and it helped tremendously, I would guess the steel version would be even stiffer but the weight is still better than Shimano/Campy and they are sold individually if you only need the rear.
Another vote for DT Swiss RWS, I get noticeably less pad rub with these. On the DT website, I think there are some numbers quantifying this.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

jih wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:16 pm

I don't think the QR contributes very much to the stiffness of the axle, but a steel one would be less flexible than ti. Shimano, Campag etc rather than ultra-light QRs
Agree with the above, skewers just provide a compression force to keep your chainstays together around the axel. Their contribution to axle stiffness is small.

It is the axle in your rear wheel which provides enough stiffness to keep the wheel spinning correctly and prevents too much movement.

As noted by other posters skewers with internal cams are much better at providing a compression force. Hex key skewers are good too.

If you have a brake rub issue and your frame dropouts are OK then also check the hub too.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

abatty wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:31 pm
DA as already recommended. Always got movement within dropouts with external cam skewers until moving to Ultegra/DA skewers.
:up:
If you have DT swiss wheels this is the stiffest option available. Still have one on my old XC race bike.
Ride fast Take chances

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:07 pm

im on Enve TI, not an issue but keen on checking DA to see if im missing anything...
Whats the difference between shimano hub HB-9000 and FH-9000?

thanks!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

i have some viewspeed ti ill sell you. pretty stiff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ultradog

by Ultradog

Thanks all!

I'll give the DA one a try as I am running 9100 anyways, so extra points for matchy matchy!

Anyone care to explain the difference between internal and external cam?