Be Aware: Quarq dub cranks downgraded but the same price

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

I am using my quarq Dzero that originally came on a BB30 crankset (2 years ago) with the quarq dub crankset. This is known not to work? I haven't had any issues in the 7 months I have ridden it. Is there something I should look for that would signal improper installation or incompatibility? TIA

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LBoogie28 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:51 am
I am using my quarq Dzero that originally came on a BB30 crankset (2 years ago) with the quarq dub crankset. This is known not to work? I haven't had any issues in the 7 months I have ridden it. Is there something I should look for that would signal improper installation or incompatibility? TIA
The 8-bolt interfaces in the spiders are on slightly different planes, so there will be a very slight offset in chainring position / chainline. If you haven't noticed any chainline issues, you're fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pinguin

by Pinguin

I have Dub Crank and Axs D zero Spider
Have some problems with the chainline
Is the Spider on the photo ok at this position?
The Spider is 2mm out of line
Attachments
20210423_202144.jpg

Ypuh

by Ypuh

That's person 3 or 4 in this thread (including me).

Safe to say the DUB cranks and 110mm AXS spider isn't a huge success when it comes to chainline. It works, but some frames (rim brakes with a smaller hub width possibly) have more issues than others.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Thought the issues where only on old cranks and new spider or new spiders and old cranks

Anybody knows if the chainline from Quarq Dub D- Zero Axs Spider the same as Quarq Dub D-Four Axs Spider which is made for Dura Ace Di2?

Ask because Shimano Chainline is 43,5 and Axs is 45 mm

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Anybody knows a shop who sells Dub D1 Crankarms?

garbageman

by garbageman

Don't think you'll find any except maybe in 177.5 mm. Last month I tried racycles.com for a 165 set since they had a picture and supplier # of the D1 on the product page but they were the V2 (formerly D2) when they arrived. You'll have to shell out for Red if you want the light version.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Bought a pair of what I believed to be D1 crank arms on eBay at a nice price, instead got a pair of D2 arms. Sure the photo wasn't exactly DSLR quality but in my eyes the shape of the arms were clearly D1. Photo also showed a small bag with pedal washers attached to the driveside pedal hole (as they normally arrive brand new from SRAM) and Quarq packaging, neither of which were in the parcel received.

Dunno yet if done intentionally or merely carelessly. Seller did have excellent feedback of course or I would never have gone through with the purchase in the first place. Clearly though he did just grab someone else's photo, or at best photographed a different set of crank arms himself. Perhaps the crank arms I received were replaced with the ones shown in the photo, if he is a regular of this forum and this very thread…

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sounds pretty shady...

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

V1 - silver spindle
V2 - black spindle

If silver in eBay photos and received black, send back.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

Might get some eye rolls, but building up a new bike with DA groupset (wanting to avoid L/R imbalance and a magnet on my bike)...so going down this crank arm rabbit hole again. Thoughts on how ridiculous new "Red" crank arms paired with a dzero quarq and praxis chainrings will look on the bike?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've done a few like this on DA Di2 bikes.

When every gram matters, small "Red" lettering on a crank arm shouldn't hurt anyone.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

I'm about to do just that, and if it really bothers me I'll just rub off the branding... Would rather not but I've seen it done with good results.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

jphu

by jphu

LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:32 pm
Might get some eye rolls, but building up a new bike with DA groupset (wanting to avoid L/R imbalance and a magnet on my bike)...so going down this crank arm rabbit hole again. Thoughts on how ridiculous new "Red" crank arms paired with a dzero quarq and praxis chainrings will look on the bike?
I wonder what the weight differences are between the Quarq dzero and Quarq dub dfour are. I wen't with the dfour to pair with dura ace chain rings. luckily I was able to get a new set of 165mm Quarq D1 arms a few months ago. But I've heard the Quarq D1 are a bit heavier than the actual Red arms.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

jphu wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 pm
LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:32 pm
I wonder what the weight differences are between the Quarq dzero and Quarq dub dfour are. I wen't with the dfour to pair with dura ace chain rings. luckily I was able to get a new set of 165mm Quarq D1 arms a few months ago. But I've heard the Quarq D1 are a bit heavier than the actual Red arms.
Mostly a myth I reckon...

I bought some new Red arms to replace some quarq branded V1s that were needed for another bike. The quarq branded ones were actually a hair lighter than the red (both were low 300s if I remember rightly and there was basically nothing but a gram in it). This checks out with another old pair of Quarq V1s, that were the exact same weight as the Reds.