Be Aware: Quarq dub cranks downgraded but the same price

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanyu

by alanyu

The Quarq dub has been a good deal since the price was cut down to US $218. However, sadly if you haven't bought it, you may not get a brand new one any more after a month.

There are now two models on the website: FC-QRQ-ASSY-D1 and FC-QRQ-ASSY-D2. The former one is the "heavy red" dub version while the later one is the force dub version. I called it "heavy red" because most D1 models are several gramms heavier than red logo ones. Sram deciede to keep their old route used in 11spd times: red logo cranksets with quarq power were actually force cranks.

https://www.sram.com/en/search?t=quarq+crank

It's a shame that they seem to stop the production of D1 model (heavy red dub version), but keeps price the same for the much heavier D2 (force dub version).

My friend have been trapped unfortunately as he got the heavy D2 version. He bought it on ebay, and there is no any info. about the different version. The whole crankset weighs 790g with Dfour and dura ace 9100 50/34T rings. He didn't take a photo of the real weight though.

If you want to buy quarq dub cranks from now on, ask for the weight or the model.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

My Dub Quarq is 140g lighter than the Dub Force it replaced. 333g weight for both arms plus axle.
looks like d1 = red and d2 = force
Last edited by Alexbn921 on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

good to know.. I got the lighter ones.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Appericate the heads up.
I currently have the D1, but am looking to downsize to 165mm...I just sent an email asking the shop if what they have is the D1 or D2 model.

Hopefully I can still get ahold of a D1. I run asymmetric crank arms, so having missmatched arms would drive me nuts...not to mention the added weight

Stoffa

by Stoffa

[Removed by moderator - keep it PG]

RyanH

by RyanH

If you are in the US and order from Bicycle Doctor, he orders direct from sram while you place your order so you can specify the model number you want.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Alexbn921 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:10 pm
My Dub Quarq is 140g lighter than the Dub Force it replaced. 333g weight for both arms plus axle.
looks like d1 = red and d2 = force
Glad I saw this post. Just bought my Quarq Dub with 172.5mm crankarms and the crankarms/axle are 476g, so I must have received the D2. Looks like total weight with stock hardware and Carbon-Ti 50/34 chainrings is roughly 745g, so disappointing. May check with the vendor to see if they have the lighter crankarms or return and go another route.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

No Ryan the problem is that SRAM isn't selling the D1s anymore...

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

alanyu wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:57 pm
The Quarq dub has been a good deal since the price was cut down to US $218. However, sadly if you haven't bought it, you may not get a brand new one any more after a month.

There are now two models on the website: FC-QRQ-ASSY-D1 and FC-QRQ-ASSY-D2. The former one is the "heavy red" dub version while the later one is the force dub version. I called it "heavy red" because most D1 models are several gramms heavier than red logo ones. Sram deciede to keep their old route used in 11spd times: red logo cranksets with quarq power were actually force cranks.

https://www.sram.com/en/search?t=quarq+crank

It's a shame that they seem to stop the production of D1 model (heavy red dub version), but keeps price the same for the much heavier D2 (force dub version).

My friend have been trapped unfortunately as he got the heavy D2 version. He bought it on ebay, and there is no any info. about the different version. The whole crankset weighs 790g with Dfour and dura ace 9100 50/34T rings. He didn't take a photo of the real weight though.

If you want to buy quarq dub cranks from now on, ask for the weight or the model.

Just got these 2 weeks ago from SRAM 170MM
Attachments
20200929_194822.jpg
20200929_194811.jpg
20200929_194801.jpg

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Those are D1, d2 looks completely different with the chamfered edges, like a force crank....

mrlobber

by mrlobber

This item code still seems to be the "light" version?
00.3018.291.170 (or ends with 172 / 175 depending on crankarm length)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

alanyu

by alanyu

mrlobber wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:10 am
This item code still seems to be the "light" version?
00.3018.291.170 (or ends with 172 / 175 depending on crankarm length)
From europe webshops, the lighter one is : 00.3018.266.XXX

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

When the price was dropped to match the price of Force arms rather than Red this is exactly what I in several threads speculated had happened. Turns out I was entirely right after all, just took some time for them to empty all stock of the earlier Red based arms…

bluebottle81

by bluebottle81

This thread is very timely, I was about to order these arms and the dfour from power meter city but they have informed me their stock is the force version. Thank you for posting Alan!

A couple of follow up questions:
- I presume if I see an item listed as with D1 in the title - e.g. 'Sram Quarq D1 DUB Crank Arm' - that should be the lighter version right?
- If I can't find any of the lighter version can I just use the red axs arms and attach them to a dfour? WIll these be lighter than the original quarq d1 arms?

alanyu

by alanyu

bluebottle81 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 am
This thread is very timely, I was about to order these arms and the dfour from power meter city but they have informed me their stock is the force version. Thank you for posting Alan!

A couple of follow up questions:
- I presume if I see an item listed as with D1 in the title - e.g. 'Sram Quarq D1 DUB Crank Arm' - that should be the lighter version right?
- If I can't find any of the lighter version can I just use the red axs arms and attach them to a dfour? WIll these be lighter than the original quarq d1 arms?
1, Yes in principle. Also if it is described to use exogram tech, it also should be the red version.

2, Yes you can used red cranks + dfour. Red logo ones are usually several grams lighter than quarq D1, a non-guaranteed-marginal weight loss over that cost difference...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com