Be Aware: Quarq dub cranks downgraded but the same price

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:32 pm
Might get some eye rolls, but building up a new bike with DA groupset (wanting to avoid L/R imbalance and a magnet on my bike)...so going down this crank arm rabbit hole again. Thoughts on how ridiculous new "Red" crank arms paired with a dzero quarq and praxis chainrings will look on the bike?
I have similar (although I use 53/39 DA 9100 rings, so dfour rather than zero) with the red arms.

Don't even notice it anymore.

No different from ones that say quarq really and if I saw it on someone else's bike, I would think 'that person knows the score!!' :wink:

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

Appreciate the assurances 😉

Went with absolute black (round) rings in an attempt to minimize badging. Will "live" with the results.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Has AbsoluteBlack added anti-drop pins to their chainrings yet?

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:10 am
Has AbsoluteBlack added anti-drop pins to their chainrings yet?
After placing the order, I received an email from them notifying me that I wouldn't receive rings for an extended period...so I couldn't tell you first hand.

matteof93

by matteof93

I was thinking about buying my first power meter...until I found the Quarq DFour spider on Amazon at 257€, so I ordered it immediately.
I have a Shimano 105 5800 crankset, so I can use my chainrings. I need to buy the crank arms....what's the best option looking for good quality/price ratio?

Would a Sram Force AXS 12 speed D1 crankset be compatible with the spider? I can buy the crankset for 190€, then I can sell the chain rings.
Last edited by matteof93 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noro

by Noro

matteof93 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:57 pm
I was thinking about buying my first power meter...until I found the Quard DFour spider on Amazon at 257€, so I ordered it immediately.
I have a Shimano 105 5800 crankset, so I can use my chainrings. I need to buy the crank arms....what's the best option looking for good quality/price ratio?

Would a Sram Force AXS 12 speed D1 crankset be compatible with the spider? I can buy the crankset for 190€, then I can sell the chain rings.
In theory it should work fine. I have Ultegra Chainrings + Red crank arms so I don't see why a 105 wouldn't fit with Force Arms (anyway if you can/want you can upgrade to Ultegra rings)
Last edited by Noro on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

matteof93

by matteof93

Noro wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:09 pm
In theory it should work fine. I have Ultegra Chainrings + Red crank arms so I don't see why and 105 wouldn't fit with Force Arms (anyway if you can/want you can upgrade to Ultegra rings)

Noro

by Noro

matteof93 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:52 pm
Noro wrote:
In theory it should work fine. I have Ultegra Chainrings + Red crank arms so I don't see why and 105 wouldn't fit with Force Arms (anyway if you can/want you can upgrade to Ultegra rings)
I've just found this:

https://powermetercity.com/faq/what-shi ... wer-meter/

matteof93

by matteof93

Noro wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:17 am
matteof93 wrote:
Noro wrote:
I've just found this:

Ok, so it looks like I cannot use Shimano 5800 chainrings on the new Quarq DFour DUB....
BTW, I looked at the installation manual for the DUB bottom bracket. It seems that I need to use a 3mm spacer on the drive side between the crankset and the bottom bracket bearing (not between the bb and the frame). This is because I am going to use the DUB bb on a BB86 frame. Is that spacer included with the bottom bracket?

Noro

by Noro

matteof93 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:29 am
Noro wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:17 am
matteof93 wrote:
Noro wrote:
I've just found this:

Ok, so it looks like I cannot use Shimano 5800 chainrings on the new Quarq DFour DUB....
BTW, I looked at the installation manual for the DUB bottom bracket. It seems that I need to use a 3mm spacer on the drive side between the crankset and the bottom bracket bearing (not between the bb and the frame). This is because I am going to use the DUB bb on a BB86 frame. Is that spacer included with the bottom bracket?
They do come with the BB. In my case, I bought CeramicSpeed BSA and the spacers got lost somewhere because they came placed in the BB and had to reorder new ones. Check the table provided by your BB manufacturer and if you don't feel comfortable with the configuration try something different. In my case what the table said didn't worked completely for me, I felt the chain was very close to the frame so I've added 1mm more in the DS.

matteof93

by matteof93

Noro wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:10 am
They do come with the BB. In my case, I bought CeramicSpeed BSA and the spacers got lost somewhere because they came placed in the BB and had to reorder new ones. Check the table provided by your BB manufacturer and if you don't feel comfortable with the configuration try something different. In my case what the table said didn't worked completely for me, I felt the chain was very close to the frame so I've added 1mm more in the DS.
Ok, thanks. Do you have any idea if sub-compact chainrings from Absolute Black (i.e., 46/30t) are compabitle with the DFour DUB power meter? I have already asked to the manufacturer, still waiting for a response.

Noro

by Noro

matteof93 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:29 am
Noro wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:10 am
Ok, thanks. Do you have any idea if sub-compact chainrings from Absolute Black (i.e., 46/30t) are compabitle with the DFour DUB power meter? I have already asked to the manufacturer, still waiting for a response.
https://quarq.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... chainrings

Also, check Daniel's bike. Is what you want to achieve?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPTHuqJhU8T/

matteof93

by matteof93

Noro wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:40 am
https://quarq.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... chainrings

Also, check Daniel's bike. Is what you want to achieve?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPTHuqJhU8T/
Exactly. Since I ride mostly in the western Alps, which have very steep climbs (I live near by famous climbs such as: Finestre, Agnello, Fauniera, Sampeyre, Izoard, Galibier, Iseran, etc...), I already wanted to try the Absolute Black 46/30t chainrings a couple of years ago but then I got a great deal on a Shimano 105 5800 crankset (40€, brand new).

Now, since it looks like I cannot use my Shimano 5800 chainrings with the Quarq DFour DUB power meter, I would like to try those Absolute Black chainrings instead of buying again a standard Shimano 50/34 set.

Let's see what Quarq replies to my mail, I asked them about compatibility.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

matteof93 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:29 am
Do you have any idea if sub-compact chainrings from Absolute Black (i.e., 46/30t) are compabitle with the DFour DUB power meter? I have already asked to the manufacturer, still waiting for a response.
I'd say there is zero chance the sub-compact rings will work with the Quarq. Those rings are oval and really only work with Shimano's cranks because their 4-bolt spider is assymetric. But the Quarq spider is not assymetric, it is round with only the bolt holes being placed assymetric.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

matteof93

by matteof93

MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:03 pm
I'd say there is zero chance the sub-compact rings will work with the Quarq. Those rings are oval and really only work with Shimano's cranks because their 4-bolt spider is assymetric. But the Quarq spider is not assymetric, it is round with only the bolt holes being placed assymetric.
You are probably right, here's the answer to my doubt https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/ques ... uarq-dfour