Specialized S-works 8 rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I don’t feel that the Ares is shorter, but I do think it is narrower in the toebox than previous Specialized shoes.

raffyyy

by raffyyy

Hey does anyone know how the sworks 7 wide compares to the ares width wise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dubadai

by Dubadai

raffyyy wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:19 pm
Hey does anyone know how the sworks 7 wide compares to the ares width wise.
The Ares are narrower than the S-Works 7, especially at the midfoot.

I have had the Exos, Ares, SW7, and Vent.

SW7 and Vent are the shoes I am running now, and the Vent are fantastic, they fit similar to SW7, but a little bit softer since more venting contruction and materials than SW7.

Exos are very small over the top of the foot, as well as narrower.

Ares are similar to SW7 in fit on top of the shoe, but the width along the midfoot is narrower.
S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

bob78h

by bob78h

I've now tried all the S-Works shoes as my pair of SW7 are from the original release in 2018 and are getting worn. I have a pretty wide forefoot and narrow heel so it is hard finding shoes that fit. I would say width wise Exos > Vent = SW7 > Ares. This does depend on your specific foot shape though.

The Exos is by far the widest in the toebox, but quite narrow and unforgiving in the midfoot. Vent is not really wider than the SW7, but the mesh areas are more stretchy. It didn't work for me because my small toe was hitting the edge of the toe bumper. Ares definitley feels narrower in the toebox, but the materials are slightly more forgiving than the SW7.

For those of you who've had the Ares for a while, does it loosen up at all in the toebox over time? Out of the box it felt too narrow for me, but I noticed the outside of the toebox stretches. If that area were to loosen up just a little, it would probably work for me.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

bob78h wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:09 pm
I've now tried all the S-Works shoes as my pair of SW7 are from the original release in 2018 and are getting worn. I have a pretty wide forefoot and narrow heel so it is hard finding shoes that fit. I would say width wise Exos > Vent = SW7 > Ares. This does depend on your specific foot shape though.

The Exos is by far the widest in the toebox, but quite narrow and unforgiving in the midfoot. Vent is not really wider than the SW7, but the mesh areas are more stretchy. It didn't work for me because my small toe was hitting the edge of the toe bumper. Ares definitley feels narrower in the toebox, but the materials are slightly more forgiving than the SW7.

For those of you who've had the Ares for a while, does it loosen up at all in the toebox over time? Out of the box it felt too narrow for me, but I noticed the outside of the toebox stretches. If that area were to loosen up just a little, it would probably work for me.
Yeah, they do stretch a fair bit.

I bought a second pair and new, they felt awful, really bad. I had clearly stretched they originals quite a lot, as they felt great after quite a few miles and I had forgotten they ever felt different. Same size obviously.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bob78h wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:09 pm
SW7.

I find that my shoes tend to shrink over time from sweat…from washes…from heat exposure. IMO if you have to work any section of a shoe or break it in over a long time, it’s probably not the right shoe for you.

slashy

by slashy

I tried a 41.5 SW7 which was too short and went to a 42 Ares. the Ares was longer for sure.

RDY

by RDY

People with experience of the Ares - can you confirm what the big S-Works logo on the side of the shoes is made of, and whether it sits on top of the underlying color? I'm assuming it's plasticized / rubberized ink or paint on top? Has anyone tried removing it?

I'm thinking of Lagoon Blue (can't possibly live with huge white S-Works logo) or Flo-Red/Maroon (outline logo a bit better) since the white ones' sock will look disgusting quickly.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

RDY wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:51 pm

I'm thinking of Lagoon Blue (can't possibly live with huge white S-Works logo) or Flo-Red/Maroon (outline logo a bit better) since the white ones' sock will look disgusting quickly.
Just a heads up. The "Lagoon Blue" looks nothing like the website. It's more of a turquoise green than a blue. I was disappointed and ended up returning them because the color was way different than expected. The jersey is light blue.

Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

RDY

by RDY

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:04 pm
RDY wrote:

Just a heads up. The "Lagoon Blue" looks nothing like the website. It's more of a turquoise green than a blue. I was disappointed and ended up returning them because the color was way different than expected. The jersey is light blue.

Funnily enough, your photos and the Specialized website photos look very similar to me - turquoise-ish.

Are my assumptions about the logos correct? I.E. They should come off with an iron and/or acetone?

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:39 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:04 pm
RDY wrote:

Funnily enough, your photos and the Specialized website photos look very similar to me - turquoise-ish.

Are my assumptions about the logos correct? I.E. They should come off with an iron and/or acetone?
Maybe it's the color profile on my monitor, they looked way more blue on the website. And sorry but I'm no help with the logo.Can say one way or the other.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

RDY

by RDY

Thanks.

Anyone with size 49 Ares / S-Works Recon (or 3.0 Recon) / Torch?

I'm interested in what the measured width / last width is.

I enquired of Specialized and they gave me a last width that would have been equivalent to a 40 in Bont Vaypor or Lake 332. AFAIK these 3 Specialized shoes run wider in the toe and forefoot than the vast majority of shoes outside Lake and Bont. So this measurement they provided seems impossibly narrow.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

RDY wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:52 pm
Thanks.

I enquired of Specialized and they gave me a last width that would have been equivalent to a 40 in Bont Vaypor or Lake 332. AFAIK these 3 Specialized shoes run wider in the toe and forefoot than the vast majority of shoes outside Lake and Bont. So this measurement they provided seems impossibly narrow.
The Ares last is NARROW, a 45 is 90/95mm ish at most.

The S Works slightly wider, but not exactly wide.

RDY

by RDY

tommyboyo wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:47 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:52 pm
Thanks.

The Ares last is NARROW, a 45 is 90/95mm ish at most.

The S Works slightly wider, but not exactly wide.
Specialized quoted me 93-94mm for the WIDE in S-Works Recon 49. That doesn't seem possible.

RDY

by RDY

Another thing .. is the varus correction in the supplied insole, or the shoe itself? I assume insole, so it can be removed and a thirdparty one used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com