Specialized S-works 8 rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

ryanw wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am
They're coming...
Wide fit as well?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

I just bought some Ares recently.

Game changer.

Absolutely amazing shoe.

Best ever for my feet.

The stretchy and massive toe box is luxury.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

So the Ares is now available in the Team Whitte colorway in the US (white/black), but I'm still debating between the Ares and the S-Works 7, or just wait until the 8. Problem is I don't know when the 8 will be released and need a new shoe. For those of you that have the Ares and 7, how do they differ? I like the look of the 7 bettter, butt tthe Ares sock thing looks pretty comfy. And how is the sizing? I'm riding the Giro knit in 46 right now and they fit well. Should I stick with 46?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

stevesbike

by stevesbike

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:04 pm
So the Ares is now available in the Team Whitte colorway in the US (white/black), but I'm still debating between the Ares and the S-Works 7, or just wait until the 8. Problem is I don't know when the 8 will be released and need a new shoe. For those of you that have the Ares and 7, how do they differ? I like the look of the 7 bettter, butt tthe Ares sock thing looks pretty comfy. And how is the sizing? I'm riding the Giro knit in 46 right now and they fit well. Should I stick with 46?
I put my 7s on ebay after a few rides. The uppers around the top of my ankle were extremely painful and I found the shoe to be really uncomfortable. The Ares in contrast are extremely comfortable for me. The foothold is like nothing I've experienced in other shoes - my foot is locked in place even without the boas dialed down hard. The Ares is really like a slipper compared to the 7 - the heel area also has a lot more padding than the 7. The Ares really is just a completely different feel than other shoes. I'm a 46 in Giro but a 45 in Specialized. 45.5 in Sidi (shot), 45 in DMT.

Neither the 7 or Ares come with particular good insoles in my opinion (Specialized likely wants people to buy their aftermarket ones). I have different arch heights in my feet so always swap out stock insoles for Scott ones though I'll likely go to a Specialized dealer and get custom retul ones for the Ares.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

stevesbike wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:35 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:04 pm
I put my 7s on ebay after a few rides. The uppers around the top of my ankle were extremely painful and I found the shoe to be really uncomfortable. The Ares in contrast are extremely comfortable for me. The foothold is like nothing I've experienced in other shoes - my foot is locked in place even without the boas dialed down hard. The Ares is really like a slipper compared to the 7 - the heel area also has a lot more padding than the 7. The Ares is a completely different feel than other shoes. I'm a 46 in Giro but a 45 in Specialized. 45.5 in Sidi (shot), 45 in DMT.

Neither the 7 or Ares come with particular good insoles in my opinion (Specialized likely wants people to buy their aftermarket ones). I have different arch heights in my feet so always swap out stock insoles for Scott ones though I'll likely go to a Specialized dealer and get custom retul ones for the Ares.

kode54

by kode54

I have the Ares and the SW7. I like both. The Ares is more comfortable than the ankle area on the SW7 although I managed to get over that. Ares still more comfy.
I like the two Boa and NO velcro strap of the Ares. I don't care much for the Ares mesh areas...since they get dirty or grayish after your first ride. If you don't care that much about the coloration, then I would go for the Ares. Who knows what issues will develop with the yet-to-be-released SW8. I probably will buy the SW8 in white since I miss the clean look of the white SW7. I regret that I sold it over the Vent (also gets dirty mesh).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

passionebici

by passionebici

kode54 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:59 pm
I have the Ares and the SW7. I like both. The Ares is more comfortable than the ankle area on the SW7 although I managed to get over that. Ares still more comfy.
I like the two Boa and NO velcro strap of the Ares. I don't care much for the Ares mesh areas...since they get dirty or grayish after your first ride. If you don't care that much about the coloration, then I would go for the Ares. Who knows what issues will develop with the yet-to-be-released SW8. I probably will buy the SW8 in white since I miss the clean look of the white SW7. I regret that I sold it over the Vent (also gets dirty mesh).

But overall (beside Mesh on them vents), how do you like the Vent so far, compared to the SW7?

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

I bought both, though I won't be able to really test them on the road. I'm going to see how they fit at least and try to judge based on that. I went with 46 since that what's my Giro are but it sounds like they may fit larger so I may end up liking neither. At least Specialized has a good return policy.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

chris1234

by chris1234

kode54 wrote:
Was going to ask about how the white mesh held up to longer term use. Guess this answers it.

chris1234

by chris1234

delete

bas

by bas

chris1234 wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Was going to ask about how the white mesh held up to longer term use. Guess this answers it.
Check out all the pros riding them, all dark grey. Mine have had less than 10 rides in dry sunny conditions and already starting to go grey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guyc

by guyc

That would absolutely do my swede in.

chris1234

by chris1234

Would trainer whitener work?

parleez1

by parleez1

Getting dirty won't be a problem here I hope, I ordered them in black!
Hoping they fit my needs in the toe box.

bas

by bas

chris1234 wrote:Would trainer whitener work?
It’s the sock part that’s exposed at the top of the shoe, the rest wipes down well enough. Could put them in the washing machine if brave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com