Specialized S-works 8 rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Got my Ares and SW7 delivered the other day, but both were too big unfortunately. I ordered 46 as that's what my Giro are, but either Specialized run big or Giro run small. Either way, just based on the initial impressions, I think I'm going to wait for the 8. The 7 look amazing in all white, super clean. Initial fit was fine, no pressure points in the 15 minutes I kept them on, perhaps because they were likely a full size too big. The big thing I didn't like were the Boas. They weren't terrible, but the newer Boa on the Ares made me reealize how much I like the quick release. The Ares fit a little better, way bigger in the toes, but overall felt more secure than the 7. I really like the way the top Boa wire spreads across without having to wrench it down too tight. And the sock/booty thing was really nice. But wow these things are not good looking. I wasn't a huge fan when they first got released, and they aren't any better in person. Really not a fan of the looks. The 7 just look way better. So with that said, I'm hoping the 8 will have the sleek look of the 7 with the new Boa.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

Any ideas when the rd8 will come out? Anyone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:24 am
Got my Ares and SW7 delivered the other day, but both were too big unfortunately. I ordered 46
Could you please tell us your exact foot length and width? Many thanks

stevesbike

by stevesbike

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Got my Ares and SW7 delivered the other day, but both were too big unfortunately. I ordered 46 as that's what my Giro are, but either Specialized run big or Giro run small. Either way, just based on the initial impressions, I think I'm going to wait for the 8. The 7 look amazing in all white, super clean. Initial fit was fine, no pressure points in the 15 minutes I kept them on, perhaps because they were likely a full size too big. The big thing I didn't like were the Boas. They weren't terrible, but the newer Boa on the Ares made me reealize how much I like the quick release. The Ares fit a little better, way bigger in the toes, but overall felt more secure than the 7. I really like the way the top Boa wire spreads across without having to wrench it down too tight. And the sock/booty thing was really nice. But wow these things are not good looking. I wasn't a huge fan when they first got released, and they aren't any better in person. Really not a fan of the looks. The 7 just look way better. So with that said, I'm hoping the 8 will have the sleek look of the 7 with the new Boa.
Yes, I mentioned in an earlier post to you that a Giro 46 is equivalent to a Specialized 45. The Ares might not be the best looking shoe (though I actualy like its looks) but it's been a game changer for me the last few weeks of riding. The foothold is incredible - it looks different because it is different - a pretty thorough rethinking of a shoe and I wouldn't base a preference based on looks considering how different its performance is.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

stevesbike wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:31 pm
Yes, I mentioned in an earlier post to you that a Giro 46 is equivalent to a Specialized 45. The Ares might not be the best looking shoe (though I actualy like its looks) but it's been a game changer for me the last few weeks of riding. The foothold is incredible - it looks different because it is different - a pretty thorough rethinking of a shoe and I wouldn't base a preference based on looks considering how different its performance is.
Yea I remember seeing your post but had already bought the shoes. Would have saved me some time if I hadn't.

And yea, the Ares fit was better even just wearing them inside. But it wasn't that different, at least initially. I wish I had the right size to give them a proper fit testing, albeit without riding. But I'm suspecting that even the right size wouldn't give me an idea of how they handle on the bike. Either way, I'm holding off for now. Partly because they don't have the Ares in a 45 available and partly because I don't really want to drop that kind of money on the 7 and not absolutely love it.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

kode54

by kode54

stevesbike wrote:
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Is it a full size difference from Giro to Specialized? or can you go one half size?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

stevesbike

by stevesbike

kode54 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:15 pm
stevesbike wrote:
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Is it a full size difference from Giro to Specialized? or can you go one half size?
For me it's a full size 46 in Giro but a 45 in Specialized. Also 45.5 in Sidi (shot), 45 in DMT and Fizik.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Maybe you missed something. I have Ares in 44.5.
Too bad size 46 and up is not in half sizes.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

What's up with Sagan his shoes, specifically the cover at the top? Did he cut it or something special?
Attachments
466501C0-2C0C-469F-A20E-155E6D7753AE.jpeg
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

romanmoser

by romanmoser

verticales holes cut in
to remove some pressure from the tongue I would guess

spud

by spud

^ kinda strange to me (I don't doubt you) - he's been on those particular shoes for what, 3 years now? And he's more than likely got a custom last for the them. Would have thought that any lingering fit issues would have been resolved years ago, without resorting to cutting the tongue.

Broady

by Broady

Giro have those cuts in the tongue.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

IchDien

by IchDien

Broady wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:17 pm
Giro have those cuts in the tongue.
As do SIDI i think...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kode54 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:15 pm

Future reference.

For me it was a half-difference. Off the top of my head, these my respective sizes for different brands:

43.5 = Suplest, DMT (more of a 43.75)
44 = Specialized, Bontrager, fi'zi:k, Lake
44.5 = Giro, Gaerne, current Shimano, Rapha, Bont
45 = Sidi, older Shimano

It stings a little to say this, but the Ares is a great shoe. This is one of the only shoes in an appropriate length where the sock liner is nice and taut around my ankles. With many shoes I often get bunching in the forefoot because of my narrow feet, but not with the Ares. I wouldn't call the toebox on the Ares wide despite that being a general trait of Specialized shoes...it's just right for me and could be a bit narrow for some. Vertical volume is pretty low or at least it can be made sufficiently so for those with low-volume feet. The "PadLock" ankle/heel pad is less pronounced than in the SW7, but more than the Exos.

An important point to reiterate is that Specialized incorporates a +1.5deg varus wedge into its shoe platforms. This works for me because I normally use their orange wedges in shoes from other brands, but it's very weird feeling at first if you don't necessarily need that extra forefoot support. It also has a pretty pronounced arch so this is one cycling shoe where you might be more likely to go off your "arch length" size measured by a Brannock device rather than your heel-to-toe.

Additionally I tried two pairs of 44s, one black and one white. The white pair was noticeably looser in all dimensions once I put them on, so I went with the black pair despite preferring the white aesthetic. So yeah, like jeans, there is just enough variance in individual samples to be annoying.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com