Specialized S-works 8 rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

jlok wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:36 am
tommyboyo wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:17 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:59 am
cfrankscid wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:45 pm

Thanks. Very helpful post. I agree fully on the deviation between new shimano and old shimano. My old rc171s fit great in size 45 but new rc9s are too big in 45. (Both Wide) it's too bad shimano doesn't do half sizes on wide shoes.

Going to try some sw7 size 44 wide and see if they do the trick.

Here is my comparison between a 44.5 RC902 and 44 Ares, both regular.

RC902 is a touch longer despite being listed as 1mm shorter (282mm vs 283mm.)
RC902 has a narrower, more tapered toebox.
RC902 has a taller toebox.
Both shoes have plenty of midfoot adjustability.
Ares does a better job locking the heel in place without ratcheting down the upper Boa dial.
Ares wins for “general” comfort. The sock-like liner and open-wrap construction ensure this.
Ares has a more pronounced arch, which may feel even more pronounced with custom orthotics.
Ares has a 1.5 varus wedge integrated into the forefoot.
RC902 weights: left shoe 242g, right shoe 238g, left footbed 21g, right footbed 20g
Ares weights: left shoe 248g, right shoe 249g, left footbed 11g, right footbed 11g
Interesting comparisons.

I have to say that the Ares toe box has been amazing for me. Best I have come across for a hammer toe, as the material is so soft that you do not get any rubbing.

I would love to get people's recommendations for a wider shoe that is NOT a bont or a lake though?
S-Works 7 wide fit.
Don't think I have ever seen these in the UK?

But also pretty sure the last is the same as the standard width and they just add volume.

I want to know if there is anyone who uses a slightly wider last to accomadte a wider foot, but is not at lake and bont levels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

I'm not sure if they are just higher volume, but they fit my flapper feet (275x115).

I'd just add one more problem: the width alone isn't all, we also need to consider if the widest points fit our feet.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

New colorways for the S-Works 7 on the website so an 8 might still be a bit far off, good, my 7's are 3yo and still look almost new, how is that possible for a white shoe?

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

OnTheRivet wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 pm
New colorways for the S-Works 7 on the website so an 8 might still be a bit far off, good, my 7's are 3yo and still look almost new, how is that possible for a white shoe?
What are the new colours?

I have not seen any.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tommyboyo wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:47 pm

What are the new colours?

I have not seen any.

Gray/Slate fade.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Those shoes on page 1 remind me of this:

Not the best association.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

OnTheRivet wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 pm
Eh, hoping it's just a last hurrah. I'd like to get new shoes this summer, and was holding out for the 8...

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

I'm still curious for those Sub7's...
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

chris1234

by chris1234

I don't think there was ever any evidence that Specialized were targetting a 8 release for 2021, other than someone who heard his neighbor's hamster say something.

We saw pros using the Ares a few months before release so feels like time is running out.

tepextate

by tepextate

Does anyone know how often Spesh restocks their shoes?

Looking for a pair in white 43, but everything is OOS on their site.

Could pick it up from my local Spesh dealer, but I like the fact that Spesh has a 30-day no-questions asked return policy, which I might want to take them up on depending on fit.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

chris1234 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 pm

We saw pros using the Ares a few months before release so feels like time is running out.
Good point. Looks like 2021 is not the year of release, which given supply chains and all may be the right call.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

jadedaid wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:45 pm
chris1234 wrote:

Good point. Looks like 2021 is not the year of release, which given supply chains and all may be the right call.
Well, I decided to just go ahead and pick up the Ares with the recent restock of my size. So with my luck, they'll drop in a week.

Update: Just got the Ares but have to return them I think. Kind of bummed out. Weight was 536g for size 45 pair. I'm warming up to the look of them, got the all white color. And initially they felt good. But after 5-10 minutes of just wearing them and walking around on my carpet, my heels were in pain. There's part of the plastic heel cups that digs in to the inner part of my heel on both sides, and got quite painful the longer I kep them on. Have a hot spot and I wasn't even pedaling. Tried to get my heel locked in, but it still moves just enough to rub.

Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

gorkypl

by gorkypl

When I was buying S-works 7 last week, a local Specialized dealer told me that some new shoes are to be presented soon. Do you have any idea if this can be S-works 8, or was it only about these new knitted gravel shoes?

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

treyxt

by treyxt

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 pm
jadedaid wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:45 pm
chris1234 wrote:

Well, I decided to just go ahead and pick up the Ares with the recent restock of my size. So with my luck, they'll drop in a week.

Update: Just got the Ares but have to return them I think. Kind of bummed out. Weight was 536g for size 45 pair. I'm warming up to the look of them, got the all white color. And initially they felt good. But after 5-10 minutes of just wearing them and walking around on my carpet, my heels were in pain. There's part of the plastic heel cups that digs in to the inner part of my heel on both sides, and got quite painful the longer I kep them on. Have a hot spot and I wasn't even pedaling. Tried to get my heel locked in, but it still moves just enough to rub.

You really shouldn't judge cycling shoes by how they feel when you're walking in them. Take a few rides in them and base your opinion on that. (Not saying you wont have the same issue, but these aren't meant for walking.)
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

gorkypl wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:51 pm
When I was buying S-works 7 last week, a local Specialized dealer told me that some new shoes are to be presented soon. Do you have any idea if this can be S-works 8, or was it only about these new knitted gravel shoes?
Ryan mentioned something about new shoes earlier in this topic. I'm hoping S-Works 7 with laces just as the Recon.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook