SRAM AXS Front Derailleur Setup issues.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justonwo

by justonwo

DaveS wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:23 pm
I tried an experiment with one of my sram force axs and shimano grx equipped bikes. I deliberately tried to induce a chain drop by first turning the low limit screw by as much as a full turn, so I got chain rub in the little ring and third from largest sprocket. I also increased the gap by a full turn. No chain drops with either improper setting.. Then I tried turning the high limit screw to increase the gap between the FD cage and chain in the big ring and smallest sprocket. I made a full turn off and it still didn't cause a chain drop. I'd have to try really hard to create a chain drop.

I then put everything back to the normal 0.5 to 1mm gap at the big ring and no rub in the big/big.
Are you running any SRAM chainrings on the front or only other brands?
2020 Pinarello F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

CoffeeNdonuts

by CoffeeNdonuts

DaveS wrote:I tried an experiment with one of my sram force axs and shimano grx equipped bikes. I deliberately tried to induce a chain drop by first turning the low limit screw by as much as a full turn, so I got chain rub in the little ring and third from largest sprocket. I also increased the gap by a full turn. No chain drops with either improper setting.. Then I tried turning the high limit screw to increase the gap between the FD cage and chain in the big ring and smallest sprocket. I made a full turn off and it still didn't cause a chain drop. I'd have to try really hard to create a chain drop.

I then put everything back to the normal 0.5 to 1mm gap at the big ring and no rub in the big/big.
Are you doing all this only on your bike stand?
It’s very different to try something on the bike stand than outside riding under load and on different gradients.
Many times everything will work perfectly on the stand and then when you ride outside you can have shifting problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

At least it's a good start... the FD setup takes at a master degree.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

DaveS

by DaveS

I've used both Campy chorus and shimano grx cranks. I'm using grx 48/31 now. Of course I did all of the adjustments on my work stand, but so do most others who can't stop the chain drops. I can try deliberate misadjustments out on the road. I'll bet that a half turn off won't cause any problem. Some users will tell you that 1/8 turn off will cause problems.

justonwo

by justonwo

DaveS wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:30 am
I've used both Campy chorus and shimano grx cranks. I'm using grx 48/31 now. Of course I did all of the adjustments on my work stand, but so do most others who can't stop the chain drops. I can try deliberate misadjustments out on the road. I'll bet that a half turn off won't cause any problem. Some users will tell you that 1/8 turn off will cause problems.
Have you ever used AXS cranks? Have you considered the possibility that your lack of issues may be related to the fact that you are using non-AXS cranks?
2020 Pinarello F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

raggedtrousers wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:47 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:00 pm

Nevermind forgeting my front axle from the Addict on top of my car, riding of with it, it falling of on the road, someone riding over it. That cost me 80 euros plus 40 for adjusting the brake issues which arised from me doing a race with that run over axle.
I've done this.

I went on a cycling holiday last year (in the UK). I arrived, took the bike out of the boot of my car... and couldn't find my thru axle. Thinking back, I'd obviously left it on the roof, and simpy driven off. So that was next morning taken care of, driving 100 miles round trip to a Giant dealer who had a spare in stock. :oops:
I figured it had to have happened to someone else as well.🙂 I actually heard something sliding on top as I left it with the wrench still attached. So I remembered like 1 min after I rode off but it was too late.

Sorry for going ot.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

DaveS wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:37 pm
No matter how close the chain catcher is mounted, I've had the chain slip under it. It can make things worse.
I'm going for a ride today so we'll see how it goes. But yeah, I suspected it wouldn't be that easy. Although I don't see how it physically could get past it. Maybe the chain can make it move under pressure and get through or get stuck inbetween.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

splzd

by splzd

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 am
DaveS wrote:
No matter how close the chain catcher is mounted, I've had the chain slip under it. It can make things worse.
I'm going for a ride today so we'll see how it goes. But yeah, I suspected it wouldn't be that easy. Although I don't see how it physically could get past it. Maybe the chain can make it move under pressure and get through or get stuck inbetween.
Had this happen a few times both with AXS and with 11speed with a K-Edge chain catcher. I think the leverage sometimes is just too high: the chainring pushes the chain against the very end of the chain catcher, but the set screw that controls the gap to the chainring is at the very top. In these cases, I could not easily guide the chain back up without unscrewing the set screw.

DaveS

by DaveS

justonwo wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:42 am
Have you ever used AXS cranks? Have you considered the possibility that your lack of issues may be related to the fact that you are using non-AXS cranks?
I've never used a sram crank due to their limited range. It's sad if other brands offer more range and work better. I first used Campy 12 because I already had them. I always suggest trying shimano or Campy.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

DaveS wrote:
Thanks for the tips. Ever since my last visit to the shop I haven't had a single chaindrop. I don't think it has anything to do with them bringing the catcher closer. Because I would have noticed it falling anyway, I don't think the catcher would help with it staying on.

I'm guessing what helped was always making sure to have a low enough gear in the back to spin faster when going to the small ring. Switching ahead of time before hills. Ever since I started consciously doing that, the chain has stayed on.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

gSporco

by gSporco

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:43 pm
DaveS wrote:
Thanks for the tips. Ever since my last visit to the shop I haven't had a single chaindrop. I don't think it has anything to do with them bringing the catcher closer. Because I would have noticed it falling anyway, I don't think the catcher would help with it staying on.

I'm guessing what helped was always making sure to have a low enough gear in the back to spin faster when going to the small ring. Switching ahead of time before hills. Ever since I started consciously doing that, the chain has stayed on.
What you are doing was the only thing that made it bearable on my Aspero.. I never shift underload or erratically, but I always made sure I timed my front shifts and looked down to make sure the chain go picked upnor was dropping down and seated before pedaling hard again..

On my Aethos, for the short time I ran AXS which I removed from the Aspero, I never had issues, but I always was nervous and looked down.. Because it was easy to sell bike parts.. I sold off all the AXS stuff and converted my Aethos to Ultegra 12 sp... Install was flawless and adjustments are easy.. But for shits, in the stand I messed with the FD position to see if I can get it to drop a chain.. no matter how out of alignment I had it, it always shifted and no drops..

Ive said it before, but Ill say it again, the FD is as simple as a windshield wiper on a car.. I doubt the AXS FD is the problem, I think chain angles, sram chain rings are the culprit with all the drops.. Having to micro adjust the FD to the exact millimeter is probably to the fault of other variables at play..

I wish, before I sold the AXS I tested the FD with Shimano Crankset to see how it behaved or improved
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

tomato

by tomato

Roadbiker10 wrote:
It would be pretty easy to test that theory ... remove the chain catcher for a few rides.

gSporco

by gSporco

tomato wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:50 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
It would be pretty easy to test that theory ... remove the chain catcher for a few rides.
If its a chain catcher that uses the same bolt as the FD mount then I feelnits not worth knocking the FD out of alignment for someone who doesn't want to or feel confident in setting up the FD again :)
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

My thought is it's the chain. I've had my 2 red axs bikes For over a year. Many chain drops at the start. After some break in with the chain, no chain drops. Installed a new chain recently and back to chain drops. Using red axs chain on red axs chainrings with red axs FD. Replaced chain well before necessary. No issues with wear on chainrings or cassette. So I assume I will be ok again after break in period. It's crap overall though. I read Shimano 12S Was causing FD chain drops as well. Lots of teams at PR using 11S.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

I've put 10 force chains into use with no chain drops.