SRAM AXS Front Derailleur Setup issues.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

This summer I added two new Yoeleo R12 bikes and sold one Cinelli on eBay (if I get paid). I decided that a 48/10 top gear was more than this old guy needed, so I sold two 48/31 cranks and bought one new 46/30 to have the same cranks on all three bikes. One Cinelli will be a trainer/ winter bike. In all, I built up or changed cranks on three bikes. Once again, FD setups were easy with no rework required. No wedges used and no sram cranks. I have two force drive trains and one rival/force. I also went full hydraulic with the Yoeleo bikes, so new force shifters and calipers were installed. Sold off the force/Juin-Tech parts. No problems to report.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thejingerr

by Thejingerr

Hello

If FD wont shifting to big chainring what adjustnment will fix it ?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Thejingerr wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:42 pm
Hello

Many adjustments will affect upshifts. If the high limit is set too aggressively, it might not upshift. If it's mounted too high it might not upshift. If the tail is twisted too far in, it might not upshift...

Thejingerr

by Thejingerr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:58 am
Thejingerr wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:42 pm
Hello

Many adjustments will affect upshifts. If the high limit is set too aggressively, it might not upshift. If it's mounted too high it might not upshift. If the tail is twisted too far in, it might not upshift...
Thanks, tail was twisted too far.

Also FD video checklist helped me.

itapersita

by itapersita

So, I was going to get crazy about this FD issues and continuing chain drops. I have built a Cervelo Aspero, thinking it was me to be not good at all. I tried everything but still chain drops randomly inside and outside. I have bought now a chain drop chatcher, have you tried them? I still have to munt.

After reading it seems there is no solution, am I right?
How did you fix the frame where the chain dropped?

bobones

by bobones

It's probably just not set up within the narrow window of adjustment needed to avoid drops. Watch the SRAM set up videos and follow them by the letter: basically the FD cage needs to be low and straight and the inner cage plates need to be almost touching the chain in the lowest and highest gears. The red plastic alignment tool helps set the FD position but it can be done by eye too. Add a decent chain catcher as insurance againsts inside drops. With the chain on different cogs at the rear, do lots of fast repeated front shifts using the button on the FD while the bike is in the stand. If you get any overthrows move the cage inboard by turning the high limit screw 1/8th of a turn when chain is in big ring. Repeat until you don't get any overthrows but can still shift up and down.You may need to tolerate some FD rub at the extremes, but this may not be noticeable on the road when the chain is loaded. Don't bother riding your bike until you get this right because a single overshift in the stand means you're guaranteed to get them on the road at some point. Take the chain and FD off, and start from scratch if needs be. I find that overthrows tend to happen with the chain near the middle of the cassette so concentrate your overthrow finding efforts there. Don't forget your wedge and check that there is no lateral movement in your cranks and that there is no warping of the chainrings.

robeambro

by robeambro

Can anybody suggest a good chain catcher? I haven't been able to find the 'SRAM chain spotter' in stock anywhere that would deliver to UK, so looking for alternatives that would be just as good (or if somebody can find it in stock..).

bobones

by bobones

robeambro wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:40 pm
Can anybody suggest a good chain catcher? I haven't been able to find the 'SRAM chain spotter' in stock anywhere that would deliver to UK, so looking for alternatives that would be just as good (or if somebody can find it in stock..).
The SRAM one is the best IMO. I picked up a Rival 22 FD from eBay with the spotter attached for £10.50. Even brand new FDs are not that dear.

naavt

by naavt

I've already related my single experience with SRAM here on WW. Ended by selling the entire groupset and swearing to never buy SRAM ever again.

Nonetheless, my father have a mechanical eTap group on one of his bikes and went to ask me to instal chainrings like the ones I'm using (AB ovals) on his SRAM bike.

They never worked!!! Chain throwing all over the place, being it towards the frame or overboard the outer chainring.

I'm using AB for a while now, on Campa (Centaur 11 in one bike and Record EPS on another), without any issues.

Told my father to swap the chainrings to his Shimano bike (fortunately with the same BCD), and he's using the same AB chainrings on his Ultegra without a single chaindrop ever since!

I was under the impression that I was the one and only single unfortunate man that faced a bad SRAM groupset, but after reading literally hundreds of posts like these ones, being it on WW and many other forums... I really don't know how Pro's can rely on this kind of garbage!

jlok

by jlok

Can't wait to see WvA shouting the famous "fking SRAM"! :p
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

bobones

by bobones

naavt wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:05 am
I've already related my single experience with SRAM here on WW. Ended by selling the entire groupset and swearing to never buy SRAM ever again.

Nonetheless, my father have a mechanical eTap group on one of his bikes and went to ask me to instal chainrings like the ones I'm using (AB ovals) on his SRAM bike.

They never worked!!! Chain throwing all over the place, being it towards the frame or overboard the outer chainring.

I'm using AB for a while now, on Campa (Centaur 11 in one bike and Record EPS on another), without any issues.

Told my father to swap the chainrings to his Shimano bike (fortunately with the same BCD), and he's using the same AB chainrings on his Ultegra without a single chaindrop ever since!

I was under the impression that I was the one and only single unfortunate man that faced a bad SRAM groupset, but after reading literally hundreds of posts like these ones, being it on WW and many other forums... I really don't know how Pro's can rely on this kind of garbage!
You lost me at 'mechanical eTap'. 🤔

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

bobones wrote:
naavt wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:05 am

You lost me at 'mechanical eTap'. Image
Don’t worry, though, the mechanical SRAM Red front mechs sucked, too. I had two of them.

My lengthy experience with AXS is this:

-The front shifting never seemed to work on some frames no matter what you did
-It got better and more consistent across the model life (early Force AXS seemed to be the worst, the more newly released stuff seems better)
-The height and alignment installation tool (that red plastic thing that clicks into the derailleur) was always a requirement for me getting good shifting
-I always ran a K-Edge chain catcher

With the right frame, correct application of the wedge, and a newer unit, it is possible to get good front shifting performance in my experience. I never fully 100% trusted it, though.

I also think people don’t use AXS the way it should be used. It’s designed to be run in the big ring almost always. I think the most appropriate, every day setup for most people is either the 48/35, 10-33, or the 46/33, 10-36 (my favorite). You can climb most things in 46-36 and rely on the inner ring for extended climbs or super extreme pitches.

I would never run oval rings with SRAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

naavt

by naavt

bobones wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:43 am

You lost me at 'mechanical eTap'. 🤔
Sorry! Hazards of someone who only had SRAM for a couple of months :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I meant mechanical!

fa63

by fa63

I am a bike mechanic and work on quite a few bikes with Etap and AXS. I haven't come across a frame (yet) that doesn't work with the FD. I also have a regular customer who insisted on putting Osymetric chainrings on his 11-spd Etap groupset and I made that work as well, though it was after considerable trial and error. I also run Force AXS on my own bike.

SRAM is definitely more finicky to set up than Shimano, and front shifting is not as good as Di2 (especially the latest 12-spd Di2, which is incredibly fast). But that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I set up my AB outer ring/Rotor inner to work just fine with my Red etap but I did have to install pins on my AB as the integrated lifting design is shit at least with the last ring I delt with. Works better now with pins installed. I would be doing the same with my AXS if they made the rings for my Campy P2M 52/36 but not as of late anyway.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake