Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ArtV

by ArtV

scottydonald wrote:Me again - pretty close to ordering an Ostro with custom paint - The one thing i am still stuck on; is it really worth 1400 dollars more(frame only) vs an SL7.

Also is there a direct hangar for the bike? cant see one by sigeyi. DA9200 i already own on my current frame.
I am not seeing a $1400 difference even factoring (lol) in the custom paint. Also for whatever it is worth, doesn't the Factor include the (rather pricey) Blackinc bar stem/combo whereas the SL7 only includes the stem? Also, is it apples to apples comparing a custom painted frame to a stock color frame? I guess it is if the SL7 has a stock color you love.

Having said all that I may be misreading the prices or maybe you aren't thinking about only getting an S-works?

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scottydonald

by scottydonald

ArtV wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:52 pm
scottydonald wrote:Me again - pretty close to ordering an Ostro with custom paint - The one thing i am still stuck on; is it really worth 1400 dollars more(frame only) vs an SL7.

Also is there a direct hangar for the bike? cant see one by sigeyi. DA9200 i already own on my current frame.
I am not seeing a $1400 difference even factoring (lol) in the custom paint. Also for whatever it is worth, doesn't the Factor include the (rather pricey) Blackinc bar stem/combo whereas the SL7 only includes the stem? Also, is it apples to apples comparing a custom painted frame to a stock color frame? I guess it is if the SL7 has a stock color you love.

Having said all that I may be misreading the prices or maybe you aren't thinking about only getting an S-works?

Basically the factor Frame is £5550 with custom frame and handlebar.
S Works SL7 frame is £4000 plus 350 for the roval rapide bar so £4350.

The bottom bracket etc help with the factor and to me the bike does look far more aero.

ArtV

by ArtV

scottydonald wrote:
ArtV wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Basically the factor Frame is £5550 with custom frame and handlebar.
S Works SL7 frame is £4000 plus 350 for the roval rapide bar so £4350.

The bottom bracket etc help with the factor and to me the bike does look far more aero.
That makes sense. In the US the S-works frame is $5500 and the Factor Ostro with custom paint (and bar/stem) is $6000. Not sure if it includes the ceramicspeed BB or not but certainly includes the ceramicspeed headset though that isn't as important I suppose.

sushisalmon

by sushisalmon

ChairmanJiang wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:31 am
I saw from a friend that the latest batch of Fork 51Xg Frame 9XX g。The factory is said to have aggravated it.
I emailed factor about tolerances and they replied - "On weight, there is a tolerated 5% variance on all of our frames as these are hand made products" - so the numbers you give would be outside of the allowed range for most frames and you could probably bring this up with them. I'm keeping my order in and I'll post here with photos during my build with all the weights and we'll see.

Tiaxx

by Tiaxx

I have an Ostro so this is my 2 cents for those on the fence on wether it's worth to pay more for a Factor....
The bike itself is amazing, but you can read all the reviews on the web about that.
What i'm here to talk about is their customer support.
It has been nothing short of amazing ever since i started talking to John even before i bought the bike. But most recently i started suffering from that whole loose headset issue, and all they did was asked me to take some pictures (3 pictures of specific parts of the headset) and immediately after i sent the pictures to them they said they would be replacing my fork. (Since they now apparently use a new system inside the fork,etc...)
After my initial contact with them about this problem it took 2 weeks to receive the new fork.

I'm trully amazed by their level of care, respect and professionalism. I would buy back from them 10 times out of 10. Even if it costs 1k more than Specialized for example.
On this day and age,it's hard finding a company that cares so much about their customers.

Just something you might want to consider when deciding wich brand to chose...

scottydonald

by scottydonald

Tiaxx wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:28 pm
I have an Ostro so this is my 2 cents for those on the fence on wether it's worth to pay more for a Factor....
The bike itself is amazing, but you can read all the reviews on the web about that.
It has been nothing short of amazing ever since i started talking to John even before i bought the bike. But most recently i started suffering from that whole loose headset issue, and all they did was asked me to take some pictures (3 pictures of specific parts of the headset) and immediately after i sent the pictures to them they said they would be replacing my fork. (Since they now apparently use a new system inside the fork,etc...)
After my initial contact with them about this problem it took 2 weeks to receive the new fork.

I'm trully amazed by their level of care, respect and professionalism. I would buy back from them 10 times out of 10. Even if it costs 1k more than Specialized for example.
On this day and age,it's hard finding a company that cares so much about their customers.

Interesting, my interactions with them in email decided on what tyo buy etc has been great. I am in Scoltand so been dealing with the UK side of things, and still trying to dial everything in.

I am certianly leaning Ostro but one other thing i have against the Ostro is re sale - For me i am going frame only so the ostro is more expensive but with me adding all my extras; saddle, 9200 groupset etc then its a full bike and the difference in the UK between the two full bikes is 9300 vs 13200 so that must effect the resale of the bike in the long run.

barbaar

by barbaar

Tiaxx wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:28 pm

My experience is a little different.. unfortunately.

I had good contact with the local distributor, so often communicated directly with him. But, I still bought the Ostro via my LBS.

Ordered the frame (frame only, as I ride Campy) in Oct 2020. The frame arrived in Feb 2021. I couldn't wait to see it, so went to my LBS to check it out. Looked awesome, but also noticed the wrong seatpost was included. LBS also noticed and already took action on that. About a month later, the bike was ready to be picked up. When I saw it complete for the first time, I instantly saw something was off. After some further inspection, I noticed the wrong bar/stem was on the bike. I ordered a 130mm stem, but it had a 110mm. So refused to take delivery, as this needed to be fixed.

Of course, the barstem was not in stock, so had to wait again. Meanwhile, the infamous headset accident with Van Asbroeck happened, and Factor released an updated compression plug. I contacted my LBS to ask if he could get the updated plug. He wasn't awere of this updated plug but promised to fix that. In the background, I also spoke to the local distributor, who said the compression plug will be replaced as courtesy not warranty (...). And only if costumers have issues with their headset.

So finally took delivery of the bike with correct barstem and updated compression plug. After a couple of rides, I noticed the headset still would not hold. Informed my LBS. LBS fixed it, but the issue kept returning. Around August 2021, I saw a picture on WW of the updated fork. I contacted the local distributor, who wasn't aware of the updated fork but would order one for me and replace under warranty.

As I wanted to finish the season riding the Ostro, I returned the bike to my LBS around October 2021. So... waiting again... In February 2022, I asked for a status update on the fork. LBS said the bike would be ready next week, but the fork will not be replaced under warranty. Costs; 500 euro. I was unpleasantly surprised by this statement (and that obviously is an understatement).

Contacted the local distributor to ask what was going on. He said this was the third time I needed a replacement and the fork will not be replaced under warranty. I have no idea where the "third time" comes from, but I suspect he is referring to the incorrect barstem and updated compression plug. He said there is nothing wrong with the headset and should work with the updated compression plug.

Luckily, at that point my LBS jumped in between and said he will figure out the issue with the fork with the local distributor. Which was at the exact right moment, as I was about the contact my lawyer. So I ended up not having to pay for the fork.

So my experience? The bike is an awesome ride. I still enjoy every second of riding it. But customer support? It's a total mess:
- They failed 2 (of of total 4) correct sizes upon initial delivery
- They were very reactive in replacing the updated compression plug. And it turns out this does not fix the issue
- They communicate poorly (to the LBS). I often had to inform the LBS. There has not been any (of very limited) communication on the updated fork (to anybody). They could definitely learn from Canyon and Specialized on this.
- They wanted to charge me on an issue that is clearly a warranty issue. They do not seem to take responsibility for issues with the frame. Remember, this is a high-end frame (and price). If you ask me, you may expect (close to) a perfect product and high support.

Hopefully, the bike is good now as I am not really looking forward to having to go through this process again..
Fuctor Ostro - Campy EPS SR Disc 12sp/P2M NG
Ridley R12 - Campy EPS Record 11sp/P2M NGEco
Thrust something - Campy Chorus/Record mechanical/P2M NGEco

No, that's not a typo

Tiaxx

by Tiaxx

The problem is that you're dealing with "middle mans" and not Factor itself.
For me, all contact has been made directly with John and it's been nothing short of amazing.

ichobi

by ichobi

I also have both the plug and fork replacement. Factor people always reply my email within one hour. Everything is orderly and all notification like upcoming shipment is communicated without having to ask myself.

Granted the headset plug issue is a serious safety concern so they kind of ha e to be on point. But i also have other queries with them which they reply with equally prompt.

Tiaxx

by Tiaxx

For me they aren't sending just a new plug. Apparently the fork was redesigned from the ground up. The best way to describe is to actually copy paste what they told to me via email:

"The new fork would have a threaded insert that is co-molded together with the steerer tube and it runs the entire length of the tube, the compression plug is no longer needed. The steerer tube will need to be cut down to size leaving a 3mm gap between the top of the steerer tube and the barstem. The threads will need to be chased with a M6x1 tap to remove any burs from cutting the fork. There will be a new top cap and D-spacer that must be used."

I took a peak when i got the new fork and the plug is indeed "bonded" with the fork if that makes sense?

But yeah, talking directly with Factor is the way to go. Best customer support i've seen in a long time!

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I would say to anyone that doesn't have the new fork for their Ostro (i.e. just the new compression plug) to make sure they get the new fork. It's a far better design and was actually lighter for me.

MikeZ

by MikeZ

Hello Cyclespeed, how would I recognize the new fork? Anything specific to look for vs the older one? I have an Ostro on order with the expectation it will arrive in approx 1 month.

Thanks in advance for your response.

spud

by spud

easy to ID the new fork - there's a flange between the front and rear walls of the steerer tube, with a threaded tube in the middle. Almost 100% that your frameset will have the updated fork, ours came just after xmas with the updated fork.

MikeZ

by MikeZ

thank you Spud

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

I don't own an Ostro, but I believe this is what the steerer looks like now. -- From Page 43 of this thread
fruitfly wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:04 pm
Barbar, here it is:

ImageIMG_2433 by Hugh Brock, on Flickr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com